Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the issue with Purple?

My favorite color is purple, however when shopping for fabric in a brick and mortar store, there will be several feet of every color of fabric under the sun, except for purple. Online shopping provides the same results as well. I am especially fond of blenders and tonals, I don't really care for batiks, and try to stay miles away from broadcloth. Hobby Lobby carries kona cloth, but not in purple. What is it with purple? Hmmm....

I'm with you on purple.. I never seem to find enough..

Purple is my favourite colour...and I have so few pieces. You are right, there just isn't that much out there.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stitchinbee
    My favorite color is purple, however when shopping for fabric in a brick and mortar store, there will be several feet of every color of fabric under the sun, except for purple. Online shopping provides the same results as well. I am especially fond of blenders and tonals, I don't really care for batiks, and try to stay miles away from broadcloth. Hobby Lobby carries kona cloth, but not in purple. What is it with purple? Hmmm....
    ADORE purple and green together, actually BOUGHT a machined [don't care for] one it is so lovely and backing is a border of green with violets growing ------will post IF DH can do it for me!!!

There's a ton of purples out there.You're not looking where it is though.v There's a ton of it, but only in certain places.I made friends with one of the lqs's here, and her favourite color is purple, so her shop has lots.And yes, not only is it my favourite color, but my aunts, and was my grandmothers as well.

Blog Entries
    When I still had my Quilt Shop, customers would come in looking for fabric, anything but purple as a rule. They always said it bled too much, too hard to match etc, etc. Well, Purple just happens to be my most absolutely favorite colour. I desiginated one section just to purple, probably 110 bolts of different purples. Anyway, I ramble, now with no shop of my own, I am having the same problem...hardly any purple to be bought. I would love to see atleast one fabric line that was mainly purple and did not involve pansies.

I never noticed this. I will have to check it out.

I didn't realize this either. I will look at Joann's when I go again.

If you think there's a shortage of purple, try looking for orange.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagny
    If you think there's a shortage of purple, try looking for orange.
    LOL! :D

I'm one that doesn't look for purple AT ALL. I think I've got 1/2 yard of it. But orange? Hook me up with some orange any day! :D

I love purple too. You can never have too much purple.

Blog Entries
    A couple of years ago, purple was readily available - I can testify as I have an entire shelf devoted to purples. Of course, it can't begin to touch the amount of greens I have (and didn't even realize how much I was drawn to greens until a friend pointed it out!). Try Thousands of Bolts.

I am just finishing up a totally purple queen sized quilt for my DD who requested that it be just purple. I didn't think it could be done but I used the free pattern Wild Orchids by Northcott and was amazed that the only purple I had to go out looking for was a few lights. I live in an area close to some Mennonite shops (hour drive away) and luckily for me they seem to favour mauve and so I was able to pick up what I needed. I'll finish this quilt soon (our guild show is Oct 23rd and 24th) and try to post its picture. My DD will get it for her November birthday.

Blog Entries
    fabric manufacturers tend to follow the annual (trendy- colors) when coming up with new collections...if you want to see what is going to be coming leaf through a new fashion mag....purple has not been part of the (fashion world) for awhile...now days it is more teal/pink/brown...but it changes with the times.
    you could dye some purples then try to get the interest of a fabric designer to expand your pallet :) i find that as the seasons change so do the pallets, but also lots of shops tend to carry what the owner likes, not alot of variety...there is one shop around here that carries very little in blues...i thought this was odd when i was looking and could not find a selection of blues...when asked she said...oh, i don't think much blue looks good in quilts....hmmmmmmmmm
    i know there are lots of people who do love purple, seems like there would be a shop or two full of purple :)

Quote Originally Posted by Shelbie
    I am just finishing up a totally purple queen sized quilt for my DD who requested that it be just purple. I didn't think it could be done but I used the free pattern Wild Orchids by Northcott and was amazed that the only purple I had to go out looking for was a few lights. I live in an area close to some Mennonite shops (hour drive away) and luckily for me they seem to favour mauve and so I was able to pick up what I needed. I'll finish this quilt soon (our guild show is Oct 23rd and 24th) and try to post its picture. My DD will get it for her November birthday.
    I always called "mauve" as being purple but when I ordered some "mauve" from Connnecting Threads it came as a dusty rose with just a tinge of purple in it.

I like using purple in little girl quilts and there never seems to be anything other than a few mottled bolts in the stores where I shop.

Trendy is the key word. Last year I made a quilt for my BFF and of course it was purple. I found so many purples I had wondered why I had never noticed it before. Now I am trying to replenish part of my stash and purple is a bit harder to find than it was last year.

I've been collecting purples...most of it I bought from a fellow quilter. I don't even like it that much, but my mom does, and it will eventually become a quilt for her.

I found a couple of on line sites that have alot of fabric and I type in the search window the color I am looking for.

I go to http://fabricshack.com/ and http://www.bighornquilts.com/

They both have tons of fabric.
    Happy searching

Chris

:) I live about 2 miles from a lqs where the owner LOVES purple and stocks a lot of it! I wasn't that crazy about purple but the more I go in there, the more I like it!

Happy searching!

I LOVE purples!!!!!!!!! The fabrics I look for, 30's and batiks have LOTS of purples, never really noticed about the purple!

If you find purple you like buy a lot because it will most likley go fast. Atleast in our area. Purple is one of the colors I tend to pay full price for as there is nothing left by the time it hits the sales category.

Banned
    I chuckled about this for a reason.....could it be that purple is the color of passion and passion is thought to be a sin (by some) so we don't want to create impure thoughts.

The last lot that I remember noticing was the Hoffman Kimono and Emperor's Garden series - but if that is not to your taste it is mostly the homespun stuff I guess?

I love purples. I pick some up whenever I can find it.
    Love it together with greens!

I work in my LQS and we specialize in a lot of Civil War Fabrics and there are several purple fabrics on our shelves. Maybe you need to talk to your LQS about ordering some in. I know we sell quite a bit of it for CW quilts.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast