Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's the Most Unusual Item You've Ever Made? >

What's the Most Unusual Item You've Ever Made?

What's the Most Unusual Item You've Ever Made?

Old 06-19-2011, 06:23 AM

A bald eagle costume for my daughter for halloween. She was 10.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:27 AM

I am in total AWE reading some of the things people have made; can't even imagine how they were done.

My first quilting project ever was one of those grocery cart seat liners for under kids. Then casserole carriers, and now finally real quilts!
My husband builds longbows and I sew covers for them. Also bow stringers, which are basically just long straps with a tiny pocket at each end to put the bow tip into.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:21 AM

Love the stocking.You are one creative person. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:22 AM

Tis is great.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
A bald eagle costume for my daughter for halloween. She was 10.

I love it! Quite the model. Cute poses.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:41 AM

I made rollup first aid kits for my son to take to Boy Scout camp. He liked it so much he asked me to make one for his son when he went to camp.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:45 PM

Not a sewn item, but the most unusual thing I made was a coffin. TIP....measure your "client" laying down, lol, because they are longer prone than standing up. We had to do a quick remodel on Halloween night. Oh wait....we made a jail on wheels. No, I am not some kind of nut. Well maybe, but I was a Scout leader, from den mom all the way up to Pack Leader, and we made a lot of things.

The guys were supposed to make a jail for our pack for the Cub Scout circus in St. Louis. Huh. Never send a man to do a woman's job, lol. The jail had to be able to move around the arena. NOT A CHANCE. The night before, I called all the den mothers, and we went out scavenging. We literally threw my mother into a dumpster behind an appliance store and had her throw out an empty refrigerator box. Then we dragged her out. We took it home, built a wooden square the size of the bottom of the box, and mounted it on those coaster wheels. Then we mounted the box on that, and cut a door, and made it capable of opening and closing. Next, we cut out a window, spray painted the whole thing black, and as soon as it dried out, used rope to make the bars. It was too tall for the kids, so we threw together a costume for one of the den mothers to be a convict, and at the circus, she 'drove' it around, would escape, run around it, and the Keystone Cops would catch her and put her back in, and off they would go again. They were a hit, lol. Yeah, that may have been the oddest things I ever made.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:02 PM

10 Steering Wheel covers for a raffle at our organization's car show. Fast, fun, and they went over really well!!
Old 11-08-2011, 03:08 PM
Power Poster

I made a cover for a sailboat rudder thing. Luckily they brought me the thingy because I didn't have a clue what it looked like. I made it out of heavy waterproof fabric. It was not fun! I've also made a hunter orange cap/cover for the top of a camoflage hunting blind. A roll up canvas slotted holder for chef's knives. A pleather custom case for an unusual golf putter. A corset/back brace for my mother when she broke a vertabrae in her back....and many other wild and wacky things that I have forgotten,thank goodness.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:21 PM

Default the most unusual thing I HAVE EVER MAKE

my dh GOT THE IDEA HE NEEDED A COVER FOR HIS MILLING MACHINE AND METAL LATHE,SO i PURCHASED SOME VINYL AND MADE TWO COVERS ,to see the other part of his shop ,I needed to make a cover for the shole shop. lol
d.swindle