Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's the Most Unusual Item You've Ever Made? >

What's the Most Unusual Item You've Ever Made?

What's the Most Unusual Item You've Ever Made?

Old 05-23-2011, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Shelbie
"In season" panties for a small female dog. They had to be washable, hold a pad, absorbant and easily removable for the owner and not the dog!
OMG .... is this what fashionista dogs wear up there in High Country? :)
Old 05-23-2011, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilt-fanatic
DIL is an anestesiologist and asked me to make her some scrub hats to wear in surgery. Took one she had bought over the internet for $25.00 - only has 3 piece pattern. Takes all of about 2 hours to make. And now she has custom scrub hats for all seasons and holidays!
Good for you for doing them. I always find it interesting the different skull hats that they have and have wondered where they came from. Are you getting orders now from her colleagues?

Not sure if this is the unusual-ness you are thinking about?
Sure doesn't come into the same class as Shelbie's!!!!! :)
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-114217-1.htm

Another would be .... years ago, I sewed a a giant strawberry, for a skit we did in Junior Farmers!

And once made a stuffed beaver, just because I thought it'd be a neat thing to do.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:50 AM

not myself but helped figer out how to make a carrer over shoulder for a baby monkie
Old 05-23-2011, 08:53 AM

I worked in the theater dept while in college. I made many "interesting" costumes then including a Roman Solider outfit and one dress that took 15 yards of fabric. When my daughter was in high school I headed up the costumes for a Renaissance dinner. We had to dye and sew over 250 yards of fabric. We needed costumes for for 100 students.
When my first grandson was born my daughter wanted to use cloth diapers so I had to learn how to make them. I had no idea how pricey cloth diapers could be if you have to buy them.
I have always made all of my children and grandchildren Halloween costumes.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:57 AM

DH took a bunch of knit scraps and sewed a "garden quilt" that we use to cover the garden when frost is forecast. Stays in place, does not blow away. Nothing fancy, just functional.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:03 AM

I just made a very thick, very stiff chair pad for my dad so he could get up out of his dining room chair!! The other residents at the home all want one!!
Old 05-23-2011, 09:27 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

Originally Posted by dinlauren
A "hooter" hider.........nursing mom cover up for a co-worker.
yea! just made my daughter one. she priced them at $40.00! oh heck no. mamma got fabric . . .
Old 05-23-2011, 09:42 AM

I made a custom pool table cover out of upholstery fabric. I made it match my decor in my game room. The upholstery remnants were inexpensive compared to the 9 yards of fringe I put on it.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by writerwomen
Perhaps the question is not what I made but what I turned down.
Some years ago while working as a dental assistant in Milwaukee WI I walked in the op and heard the Doctor tell the patient I had a sewing business so to ask if I'd do the work she was looking for. He had no idea what she was looking for just needed a seamstress.
As the dctor was out of the room she explained she needed an alteration o a swim suit. (she was a big gal) I kept trying to figure out what she meant by it being too big and why not just buy a new one. Finally I understood. It was the begining of that aweful craze for thong swim suits and she was wanting me to turn her swim suit into one. I pulled out a length of dental floss and gave it to her and told her that was as far as I was willing to go. The doctor about dropped his teeth when he realized what she was wanting. I had several calls of desperate Mom's late Thursday wanting a custome wedding gown for Saturday. They'd flip out sure it was very unprofessional and how could I call my sell one if I couldn't make a gown in a day.
Those types of things are when I realized I really didn't want to sew on demand like that.
Too funny (dental floss) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 05-23-2011, 10:01 AM

I made the top of a DHD ( Dial home device) - It's a stargate thing. I never did get round to making the actual gate....