Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's the Most Unusual Item You've Ever Made? >

What's the Most Unusual Item You've Ever Made?

What's the Most Unusual Item You've Ever Made?

Old 05-23-2011, 10:03 AM

Actually I made a bag to carry a expansion hard drive that fits round the dogs neck. We used to have her run back and forth with thumb drives on a lanyard but switched to a larger hard drive. Actually the bag is way more useful as we can send other things too.

We'll make a service dog of her yet!
Old 05-23-2011, 10:09 AM

The mail pouch carried by Keven Costner for the movie "The Mailman". It was filmed in Redmond, OR, and our leather shop was very busy during their production period. Never met Kevin, but I did meet his stunt-double and the prop-person. FYI, many of the horses had their hair dyed to turn them into whatever breed they were supposed to be.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:16 AM

My best friends birthday I made her a red velvet bra purse.
I put beading on it and lace.....then they had her a party at Frisch's Big boy and every woman in there had to see it.
It was just a joke..but she used it in her bathroom to hold stuff....she passed away a few years ago and for she did she laughed over it.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by jbud2
eye patches for my granddaughter's 'lazy eye' problem.
been they done that. three of the four boys had that .
Old 05-23-2011, 10:21 AM

My "weird" items are usually something my husband dreams up, that he needs for hunting, like when his hands got cold holding the gun & they hadn't invented the mittens that flip down to expose your fingers yet, so I made a camoflauge "muff" out of a leg warmer [get the time period here] & some camo fabric, & a piece of belt webbing & belt clip. Worked great!
Old 05-23-2011, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by quilt-fanatic
DIL is an anestesiologist and asked me to make her some scrub hats to wear in surgery. Took one she had bought over the internet for $25.00 - only has 3 piece pattern. Takes all of about 2 hours to make. And now she has custom scrub hats for all seasons and holidays!
I've been asked to make welding caps for my DS....same scenario as you. He loves picking out fabric and has bolts laying on my cutting table all the time for new ones! He has even started looking at emblibrary.com for more embroidery that he wants on them. I've created a monster! LOL :lol: :lol:
Old 05-23-2011, 11:27 AM
dd

One man at church asked me to create a pillow on the back of his hunting vest so he could just unclip the top of it and it would swing down to be the pillow to sit on. When its up he can slide things in the side to help carry everything he needs.

Used to work in a costume shop. Made 2 Dorothys, flying monkies, munchkins and lots of costumes for myself and my family. Pirates, lions, knights, princess,witches, ghoulies, Calif. raisin, Ghost Buster, crayon, Green Power Ranger who died the week before Halloween so my son thought for sure I should make him a new one in white. Sure, I'll get right on that. I've done a few wedding dresses, many brides maids dresses but I didn't get to make my daughters wedding dress. Had to buy one and alter it to make it what she wanted. She only gave me a couple weeks before he was deployed.

Made lots of odd things for the baby when she and her friends were pregnant. Made an apron top that ties around your neck with a towel attached to the waist to give the baby a bath when they are tiny. Hooter cover, burp pads, changing pads, give those as gifts with the baby quilt.

Made a sleeping bag for my cat. He loves quilts and likes to climb in them and under them. Had to take him to the vet and it was cold and rainy. Made him a quilted sleeping bag that he kept in the cage while he was there. Kept him warm outside and contained in the office. The vet even liked it.I keep it on my ironboard now to keep the cat fur off. He likes to lay up there to look out the window.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:29 AM

My sister and I make these all time time. My DL works at a hospital and I have people looking for them all the time!! I make the hats and she makes the scrubs!!
Old 05-23-2011, 11:53 AM

I made Lizard Logs. What is a Lizard Log you say?

My sister has screen doors on all three of her exterior doors in her home. There is a small gap between the bottom of the screen doors and the threasholds. Here is CA we have little alligator lizards in our yards (a very good thing to have--they eat the bad bugs).

Anyway, these lizards would come into her home, so she asked me to make something that she could place over that gap to keep them out. Basically, they are like a draft dodger, but she coined the name Lizard Logs. :lol:
Old 05-23-2011, 12:03 PM

I just remembered another one! When I was about 12 I went to camp and we had a fancy dress thing. I made a Space shuttle costume. I was the external tank. I used a lampshade frame to shape the top over my head. I had the Solid rocket boosters on my arms and an inflatable space shuttle stuck to my front.