Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's the Most Unusual Item You've Ever Made? >

What's the Most Unusual Item You've Ever Made?

What's the Most Unusual Item You've Ever Made?

Old 05-23-2011, 10:23 PM

I have been sewing for years and made so many strange things. Costumes for the kids come to mind, pirates and a devil and a dragon and even a spider, among many others. I was commissioned once to make a very naughty nurse costume. That was kind of fun.
I've made dolls of all sorts and sizes, but the one that comes to mind as the strangest, I think, was one I made at the request of a friend. She wanted a Mr T doll, but she wanted it anatomically correct. The "winky" turned out pretty good, although I ended up making it a tad small, hmmm, not sure how that happened. I also made it detachable, or attachable with a snap. I don't remember why I did that either. But Mr T turned out very good. I was quite pleased and a little embarrassed.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:37 PM

I used to make airplane "boots" for a local airport hubby worked at when we lived in Illinois. Made a pattern for them and charged $20 a piece for them.

They go over the front wheel/fender of small aircrafts so the fender doesn't get damaged when being towed in and out of the hangar.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:02 PM

I've made a lot of the things posted here, a man's private part "warmer", turtle costume for grandson,plus many other halloween costumes, leather car shifter cover,wheel chair bag for friend, new seat cover for sons dirt bike, and many more over the years
Old 05-23-2011, 11:26 PM

Some sewing other than quilts::

*Many costumes for kids - leopard, princess, Dutch girl, Huck Finn, lamb, bunny, Raggety Ann, scarecrow, Robin Hood, nurse, toga, to name a few
*Hunting backpack for hubby - rip-stop fabric covered with wool so it was quiet in the woods - still using it after 25+ years
*Pre-quilted denim winter coat with wind-breaker fabric in middle layer plus faux lamb's wool lining & quilted satin inside the sleeves for hubby
*Car seat covers
*Camping kid-sized sleeping bags
*8 barbershop vests, bow ties, arm bands
*Suit coat, shirts, ties for hubby
*Robe & slippers
*Swim suits
*Covers for keyboard, drums, guitar
*variety of purses, bags
*fitted furniture cover w/ piping all around, draperies
*wheelchair bags & seat covers
*Gators (water-resistant leggings), ankle to knee, for cross-country skiing
*hats
*oodles of dresses, slacks, tops, jackets, shorts, my nursing uniforms
*Draperies, quilted shades, curtains for entire house, throw pillows, reupholstered furniture
*Wedding dresses & veils, men's shirts, ties, cumberbunds
*Baby clothes, onesies with snap crotch, buntings, hooded baby bath towels, prefolded cloth diapers, nursing tops, breast pads for leaking nursing Moms
I guess none of these are unusual, just not quilting. :)
Sigh, makes me tired just to list them - I'd rather quilt now!
Old 05-24-2011, 12:17 AM

How funny that you mentioned surgical cap. I was just talking about that with my daughter today. I told her that I was going to make her covers for her stethoscope and she asked me about making the caps also. I am currently trying to find a pattern to make some.

The most unusual thing that I ever made was tooth fairy pillows for the kids that had a special pocket for the tooth to go in.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Thusnelda
Don't they need to be sterile?

I once made a small bag for my bow rosin. That must be the most unusual item I ever made. I selected brownish musical themed fabric and made minute log cabin blocks.
LOL...no scrub hats are not sterile...I worked in OR for over 20 years and have made these also.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:01 AM
Vat

I made a SNAKE costume for our drama department at school about15 years ago. And then there was another time I made MONKEY heads. Those are pretty unusual! !!
Old 05-24-2011, 03:03 AM

Not so unusual, but I made a quilted envelope for my best fabric scissors. I figure they will last the rest of my lifetime and maybe for my daughter in law or granddaughter, so I want to take as good care of it as I can. Edie
Old 05-24-2011, 03:10 AM

I made bed sheets for a trucker friend's new truck. Also, Tweety Bird and Sylvester large head Halloween costumes for my 5 yr. old grandd & her dad. Day came & my GD wouldn't put her head in the top on so we slit the top, cut armholes and she wore Tweety's head on her body. LOL Thanks for the memory.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:12 AM

I made a strap to go over my camera strap, that has pockets for my cards, mobile phone and keys etc. and also bags for my mini irons. Is that unusual enough?