Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the reason for......

I'm quite happy using pins actually. They don't have to go through "all the layers", just the binding fold and the quilt backing. That's only three layers of cotton. And if you point them away from the direction you are sewing you don't get stuck at all. I'll stay with pins and spend the money I save on fabric. ;) Why couldn't you use office supply binder clips from Staples or Office Depot? They must be cheaper than anything aimed at the quilting market.

Banned
    I use hair clips, look exactly like quilt clips and are cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by Dingle
    Binding clips? When putting the binding on a quilt, why do so many people use binding clips (I think that's what they are called) instead of using pins? I have been using pins but wonder if the clips would be better. Sometimes I have a hard time going through all those layers. Is this why clips are used?

Thanks
    Good reason=I was in the LQS Friday and a customer was sharing the quilt she was ready to finish binding and she had the binding clips(hair clips)on it and there where several women holding it and no fingersticks. She said she has been using the clips for quite awhile and they fit over the thinist to thickest quilts. I will be using them for the first time on my next quilt. :-P

Blog Entries
    I love the clips too. When I used pins I would get stuck a lot and even more annoying, my thread would get caught around them. Since the bindings are roundish it didn't happen so much with them. Plus it holds the binding flatter than pinning.

eta: I've never used clips for machine stitching the binding on (which I've only done once so far). I'll have to try it for that. I always hand stitched binding before.

ive lost less blood since i started useing the clips

I really like the clips. My long arm quilter gave me a few to try, and that's all I use now. They save time and no pin pricks!

Ditto!

Banned
    [quote=gale]I love the clips too. When I used pins I would get stuck a lot and even more annoying, my thread would get caught around them.

Thread getting caught was my main reason to switch to clips

I've never tried the clips, but I think I will now, I get aggravated at the thread getting caught on the pins.

You ladies are right. No finger stabbing with pin points sticking out. I love my binding clips!

I bought some of the clips and really like them. I used to use pins but would always get poked. The clips are much better.

I use binding clips because the pins always stab me.
    With the clips this doesn't happen and it is easier to take them
    off as you work around the quilt. No dropped pins anywhere either

Blog Entries
    I used to use pins but after bleeding on a quilt, well, I broke down and bought clips and have never looked back! It is a lot easier to clip than pin too!

I use binder clips found at Walmart or any office supply store. They work just as well as the binding clips sold at quilt shops or the hair clips.
    http://www.quill.com/quill-brand-ste...romoCode=20099

I have also used hair pins like these: http://www.sallybeauty.com/Metal-Curl-Clips/SLNCAR19,default,pd.html

I love using either one!

Cypress, Texas by the way of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    I use pin curl clips. Much less expensive than the ones you buy in a lqs. I find clipping for a short time keeps binding pretty much in place and even when you do the ladder stitch...you can take the pins out a short distance from where you are sewing and the cotton memory fold stays pretty much turned. Does this make sence? ALSO, SURE IS EASIER ON MY HAND BECAUSE WHEN I DO NOT USE CLIPS I GRIP THE QUILT SO TIGHTLY MY HAND ACHES.

Hmmmm. Never thought about the clips.

I don't use clips or pins. Once the binding is sewn on it should be just okay to turn it over the edge and stitch it. I've been doing this for years and people have said what great binding I do. Try it and see if it works for you.

I don't use clips nor pins. I like to turn and hold the binding in place with my hand just before stitching it down. I use my sewing needle to give it a crisp edge, kind of like needle turned applique.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I bought the binding gun and clips at Paducah quilt show. It was cheap and it works great. The clips are reusable. Here is a picture of it:

http://www.quiltsxcetera.com/manufac...Martelli/42/92
    You can also use binder clips you buy at an office supply store. They look just like the clips at this site except they have a small clip to open them.

Banned
    You know that is something I have never done was to pin or clip the binding on the quilt before I sewed it on. Knock on wood I have never had any issues with the method I use but there will always be the first time for everything!

I might just try them out to see if they work.

Billy

Blog Entries
    I am always getting stabbed or scratched by the pins. The clips I don't I use the hair clips .

I use large paper clips just because we already had those lying around. It helps me to sew a section of 6" to 8" at a time without having to be constantly folding over. Plus you can just slide the paper clips down and not have to start and stop alot.

I have never used clips on binding for a quilt. I like to manage the edges with short lengths of binding and placement. I have also found ironing the binding to the quilt edge helps to keep the binding from pulling off square.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by janRN
    I use old wooden spring-type clothes pins instead of the metal clips. I machine sew my binding on and fold it to the back to hand sew. I was always sticking myself and was afraid of losing pins on the floor. I found a bunch of these clothes pins in a bag in the basement (why??) and started using them for binding-I like them and they don't leave marks on the fabric.
    I love this idea! I have used the clips, too, but found that on thicker quilt sandwiches, they popped off or shifted much of the time. I think the clothes pins would stay put better. Thanks for the idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Bell
    I don't use pins or clips. I just fold as I go along. It all turns out fine.
    Blue Bell I am like you but we look like the odd folks out. Now I am wondering whether using pins or clips make a difference. It seems to me that my binding is the one thing I can always count on coming out just right.

:thumbup:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast