Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's so great about BOM??? >

What's so great about BOM???

What's so great about BOM???

Old 07-20-2011, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by gramajo
My LQS is just finishing up a BOM of Sylvia's Bridal Sampler. I love the Elm Creek Quilt novels & wanted to do the sampler, but it seemed overwhelming to choose fabrics & have 100+ blocks to make. LQS started BOM with 4 blocks a month for $6. We got 84 blocks plus a couple extra (special classes to learn, extra $ for applique & foundation piecing). Mine are done & I'm starting to put it together. It ended early w/o all the blocks because some blocks were too challenging for some of us. I learned some skills I would have shied away from. I never would have made this quilt w/o the BOM. :thumbup:
When you break down the cost it isn't bad. Each month you get an extra pattern; normally patterns cost at least 10 each; plus with mine they pick out fabric and there is way more than we need and the teacher not only tells you how to do them; she gives you the short cuts that you normally wouldn't learn on your own and I also get the lecture for the civil war; which I love, and our teacher is in the shop most every Friday for a few hours where you can come in and get help or you can call her on her phone. Mine is 30 a month and it's more than worth it; this time we are doing 1 9.5 block but have enough material that I could do about 5 and this is all top quality reproduction fabric. On top of all of that you get to mingle w/others who love what you do.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oldcottontop
Not all BOM are through a LQS. I currently am doing a BOM with an on-line quilt magazine (http://quiltpatternmagazine.com/). We started in January and were given approimate amounts of fabric in 5 different colors of our choosing. I have attempted to attach a copy of mine so far.
:thumbup: :thumbup: Love it. Your colors are great.That is going to be a beautiful quilt. Do you have the names of the blocks? Could you PM me with the names. If that wouldn't be too much trouble and not against the law. Thanks BrendaK.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:05 AM

Sometimes my life is so busy with running kids to various sports, etc. that I can only accompllish one block in one month. My last quilt instructor made the most beautiful quilt....all out of civil war fabrics. I tried to steal it, but she noticed..darn! I am joining in January. Not sure of the cost, but my instructor is pretty frugal, so it can't be too bad.

I also need to be held accountable otherwise everything else gets in the way and my quilting takes a back seat.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:12 AM

I am a new quilter and after sewing my first ever top with a non quilting foot and received many waves and uneven points to non existent points. I decided it was best to go to a LQS. Which happen to be starting a BOM. Ours is $5 for the first block and if you bring it back completed you get the next block free and so forth. For a beginner not knowing a hill of beans of quilting I have learned a lot. I can see how if one is experienced it may not be that beneficial.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:23 AM

I don't mind helping pay some bills when I get a whole lot in return for my money. Class fees and the one on one help/instruction are included in the costs so I feel I am getting a real bargain. Just my taker on this subject.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:34 AM

Most BOMs are fairly complicated, some involved making more than one block in a month. The one I did last year and the one I'm working on this year requires 4 blocks to be made almost every month. Because they're not simple blocks it's nice to make them and set them aside and go on to another project. If I had to make the entire quilt in one long stretch I would not do it, it would drive me to the brink of madness. The kits may be a little pricey but it would cost as much if I had to find my own fabric because not everything I buy for a project gets used in that project and I go buy another piece that might work better. My stash is big enough, don't need to put more in it. You don't have to finish a block before getting the next one. You can stack the monthly kits up and do them years from now (or never). It's my way of completing something more involved while making others that are quicker and easier. I quilted the two attached by myself on my domestic machine.
Originally Posted by quilt-fanatic
I just don't get the Block of the Month - it seems to cost more than if you purchased the fabric yourself, it takes way too long to finish a project, and you don't get another block until you finish the previous one??? What exactly is so enticing about it?
Last year's Civil War quilt, 12 months
[ATTACH=CONFIG]229269[/ATTACH]

Last year's Americana, 8 months
[ATTACH=CONFIG]229270[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-229263.jpe   attachment-229264.jpe  
Old 07-20-2011, 08:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Delilah
Most BOMs are fairly complicated, some involved making more than one block in a month. The one I did last year and the one I'm working on this year requires 4 blocks to be made almost every month. Because they're not simple blocks it's nice to make them and set them aside and go on to another project. If I had to make the entire quilt in one long stretch I would not do it, it would drive me to the brink of madness. The kits may be a little pricey but it would cost as much if I had to find my own fabric because not everything I buy for a project gets used in that project and I go buy another piece that might work better. My stash is big enough, don't need to put more in it. You don't have to finish a block before getting the next one. You can stack the monthly kits up and do them years from now (or never). It's my way of completing something more involved while making others that are quicker and easier. I quilted the two attached by myself on my domestic machine.
Originally Posted by quilt-fanatic
I just don't get the Block of the Month - it seems to cost more than if you purchased the fabric yourself, it takes way too long to finish a project, and you don't get another block until you finish the previous one??? What exactly is so enticing about it?
:thumbup: :thumbup: Beautiful quilts. BrendaK
Old 07-20-2011, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Airwick156
I don't know I have never done a BOM. Hope someone comes along and gives you an answer.
I recognize your avatar block ;-)
Old 07-20-2011, 09:02 AM

Beautiful quilts Delilah!!! I'm in the middle of a Civil War Chronicles BOM and an Aunt Grace BOM. I know what you mean about sometimes having to do 4 blocks in one month. I have done it with both of these quilts. Lots of fun and learning and you are right...You are on your own schedule.
Happy Quilting!!!
Old 07-20-2011, 09:02 AM

I like BOM's......With my quilt guild, its a 12 month block, we have enough blocks to put together a quilt with some borders and wah lah a quilt. Usually the persons box that we get with the pattern in, has some fabric (what the basic color is) and then we use out of our stash to enhance the block our way. Each one is individual but yet has that certain something that makes it special to the person that put it together. We really can make a big quilt with the blocks, or a runner, pillow covers, bed runner or whatever we have in mind. Some of the internet ones that are free to join I copy and save for the winter months and work on them myself. I really like doing the BOM and Mystery quilts..