Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What's your current project? >
  • What's your current project?

• What's your current project?

Old 08-30-2010, 11:14 PM

Mostly by accident. I pick up fabric I love or on sale..pretty much only those 2 reasons now because I already have too much. I never buy fat quarters but at least half to 2 yds, just in case. Group it together by colors or styles and then later I manage to stumble on final quilt ideas without looking for them. I put those groups in clear plastic boxes and add w/pattern suggestions, always the main fabric on top. That way, when I shuffle them around, the fabric I love the best is on top so I don't forget it and as the box fills up, I know I have enough for a quilt top. Inspiration comes later and usually by accident. Occasionally, I buy fabric and know immediately what I will do...like the fairy series. Haven't figured out the exact algebra yet but will eventually sit down and do that. When I am ready! Always have lots of projects so I can cut one day, sew one day, etc. Hand quilting is easy to take on the road so I usually have some applique stuck in my purse in case of traffic jams or hospital waits.
    Old 08-30-2010, 11:51 PM
    Power Poster

Currently I have two WIP, one is a EPP Grandmother's Garden, is of course handpieced and will be hand quilted - Queen size - it is my "evening's only" project so could well need 2 lifetimes! As I am new to machine quilting, I am on a massive learning curve...I have a sofa quilt on the go, made completely out of used clothing, jumpers (batting) in wools and cotton...this is highly experimental and will be interesting (to say the least) as I got into making yoyos and fabric flowers, so I stitched a few blocks including those! It will be a fray edge (rag) quilt - if it works and survives a wash I will post a pic.

On the "must do smartly" list is a rail fence for my eldest son and a baby quilt for a girl who works with my husband. There is a T-shirt quilt in my future...my middle stepson gave me a huge bag of his favourite, most precious T's and asked if I could make them into a quilt.
    Old 08-31-2010, 12:26 AM

I'm currently working on a baby quilt in primary colors. Four solids, 2 primary dots on white (1 large, 1 small) and the stripe in primary colors on white
    Old 07-18-2011, 08:31 AM

I just read your quiltersboard posting, Current Project. I have been on the board for almost a year now and I am amazed at the talent I see everyday. Look me up on the board as I have posted a few projects I have accomplished. The latest one if the Dresden Plate. I decided to do 4 blocks and use some of the purples from the Dresden pattern as boarders. They are not completely put together yet but I am hoping this coming weekend to have it completed and posted on the board. It is so relaxing for me to work on these projects, large or small. Something I should have started years ago.

Enjoy your discoveries as I have.
    Old 07-18-2011, 08:41 AM

I love connecting threads too!

Right now, I'm working on a quilt called Farm Land. It incorporates two of my favorite things - applique and buttons. I've got one more block to do - the pig in the cornfield.

I'm super anal about my projects. I cannot work on more than one project at a time. It has to be fully completed before I can start on another one. I don't know why I am this way. Also, I'm totally weird about sewing for other people. My MIL asked me to make her a pillow for her new sofa. I told her that I'd rather not, but she insisted and my husband said that I would (he will never do that again!). I stopped sewing for over six months because I did not want to make the pillow and I could not start another project until that pillow was done. It took me all of 20 minutes to make the pillow, but I hated every second of it. Ok, now y'all know I'm a total weirdo.
    Old 07-18-2011, 10:36 AM

I too am working on more than one. First of all each week I work on a previous unfinished block so that I can knock them out of the way as I start new ones. I'm finishing up a Upline jacket and just got material to make one for my daughter for Christmas. This week I'm finishing a Hearts of Valor quilt (pattern on Windham Fabrics) My monthly civil war block, my granddaughter's 3-D windmill quilt. I also have in the works 2 Trips around the world quilts; one top is done the other is close. I'm slowly making a CW quilt for my sister. I'm also trying to learn to quilt other than stitch in the ditch at the same time. All of my quilts I want to have my name, date, name of quilt, designer and the purpose of the quilt (who it is for) Some of them that I have started I'm not sure who is getting it (except for one TATW;it's for my daughter, if she ever moves out, ha, ha) but I want to know that when I'm gone and the grandkids get the quilts they know who made it and why. I just bought an antique quilt; all hand made and I think it's sad that no one knows the history of this quilt. I know anything that I make for my kids or my sister will stay in the family; they are good like that. As far as cost; it's hard to say because I buy as I go along; rarely do I buy it all at once of it comes from a fabric that I bought just because I liked it and finally had a purpose for it. Feel free to ask anything else if you need to. Good luck
    Old 07-18-2011, 10:44 AM

I have so many unfinished projects or projects that should be started. First off, there are some smocking dresses for DGD, then there are numerous pillowcases that should be sewn, then a pre-quilted baby boy panel that I should bind, and then when all said and done, I can return to my tube quilting that I have stitched, cut and now must turn into bigger blocks. This quilting project is outside of my comfort zone with colors that I don't normally use. Sage green, brown, mustard and beige. Also tube quilting is new to me, too. I normally work on plain big squares only so I'm trying to get all my other projects finished before embarking on this journey. I want to give it my undivided attention so it will turn out as I hope. And of course, I do have about 8 quilt tops that also require my attention but that will wait until this tube quilt is finished. Do I have enough work to keep me busy???!!!
    Old 07-18-2011, 03:28 PM

I just finished a Jewel Box Lap Robe for DH in earth tones & have gone on to a baby quilt for DGGS due mid-August. It has frogs, turtles & geckos on one side and puppies on the front. I call it 'Dogs & Frogs'. brown & black puppies, with blue sashing & navy/white dots border. The whole back is green with a cream/coffee frame then the same border as the top. I'm presently meandering on it. Then I'll go on to an owl wall-hanging for MIL.
    Old 07-18-2011, 03:54 PM

The top of my WIP list is a quilt made from the napkins and tablecloths from my son & daughter-in-law's wedding. Their budget was limited--renting linens too expensive and paper or plastic too tacky. I volunteered to do a search for an alternative. It was to be an outdoor wedding with end of summer garden flowers. I found a sturdy, rustic tan cotton at $1 yard for tablecloths and a huge pile of samples in richly colored stripes, checks, etc. to make napkins (20 cents each). The bride and groom approved the selections and I returned to the shop and spent an hour or so sifting the samples for cottons. I did NOT have a quilt in mind at that time but wanted cotton for its feel.

After the wedding, we collected and laundered the tablecloths and napkins. The dear girl, having been properly raised, said, "Someone can use that material."

The goods sat quietly for a while. Then I purchased my first Kaffe Fasset book, just because of the hot stripped piecework cover. Soon I realized I could duplicate the look by squaring the napkins set on edge.

A cross stitch (my first) label has been made with the bride and groom's names, wedding date and an oak tree commemorating their vows beneath the oak branches.

I plan a thin filling, not a batt, and quilting it with dark thread, probably with larger stitches.
    Old 07-18-2011, 05:56 PM

1. Clothing items - too many to list...

2. QAYG - toddler-sized quilt. Started it in a quilt class before Kid #2 (now 5 years old) was conceived. The blocks are all made and squared, but I hate the handsewing in the pattern to attach the sashing. Each row is complete, but I need to make the time to machine stitch the rows together with sashing so that I can do the handsewing while watching TV. Then I'll have to bind it. On one side, the print is a white background with vibrant colored animals, and the accent colors are turquoise and purple. On the other, the print is primary colored dinosaurs on a black background, and the accent colors are orange and green. The sashing/binding is all a grass green. If I finish it someday, it might go to my DB's expected baby.

3. Currently intended project - have fabric but haven't started. I'm going to make sampler wall quilts for my sewing room. I have blocks chosen and just need to get started. These colors are greens and purples to coordinate with the wall colors and hopefully tie it all together. The sashing will be a white tone on tone paw print, and the background for the blocks is a kind of seafoam color. The pieces will be scrappy - a mix of FQ prints I picked out by taking paint cards into the LQS. I think I have about $40 into the project so far. Not sure how much this fabric will make. I want to make a 2x3 wall quilt of 18-inch blocks to start, then probably 2-2x2 or 2x3 wall quilts of 12-inch blocks to go on either side. Eventually I'll also make one or two 24-inch blocks to be single block wall hangings.....

4. Won't get into everything that's intended after that!

As for the label, I don't think I'll label the QAYG quilt, because it's reversible and I'm not sure where to put a label. But I'll put a label on my wall quilts, including my name and the blocks included. Maybe the date. Not sure yet.