Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's your most favorite quick precut friendly lap quilt pattern? (non-fat quarter) >

What's your most favorite quick precut friendly lap quilt pattern? (non-fat quarter)

What's your most favorite quick precut friendly lap quilt pattern? (non-fat quarter)

Old 02-02-2015, 03:53 PM

MSQC double slice makes a nice quilt but is bigger than lap size
Old 02-02-2015, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by bakermom View Post
MSQC double slice makes a nice quilt but is bigger than lap size
I was going to say Double Slice as well. (Jenny Doan tutorial) I have made 2 of those, and have 2 more to make. I really like the pattern, which is made with a Layer Cake precut. It makes a bit larger than a lap quilt, mine measure
about 54x63 with no borders. But you would not have to use all the squares if you want a smaller size. The blocks measure at 9" square, finished.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:51 PM

With a jelly roll you can make the strip and flip quilt from Cluck cluck sew (free pattern and tutorial on her website, can't cut and paste the link right now). I made a lap size with a jelly roll of Botanics and it took me only a few hours. The result is very nice. If you want to experiment with the
LA a simple quilt design will give you more freedom, so a strip quilt may be a good idea.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
The 3 Dudes quilt is pretty quick and easy. Uses 1 jelly roll. Oh, she did put a border on, but you could skip it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5Ixvjje310
You can also do a jelly roll race.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bEJLnaZQOU
I can't wait til morning to start on the 1st tutorial. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:05 PM

The jelly roll race. With 40 2.5" strips, you can make a lap quilt. This is probably the quickest quilt you can make. The strips should have some contrast (lights and darks).
Old 02-02-2015, 06:34 PM

Elanor Burns Quilt in a Day for making Log cabin blocks, then sewn into whatever pattern you like of those is very fast. My favorite is Barn Raising. Never got it down to one day but then agin, I ain't no speed demon like some of you folks.

tim in san jose
Old 02-04-2015, 06:47 AM

I just finished a baby quilt top using the Disappearing nine patch with 5" squares (charm sq. size). Sewed the top this past weekend while all the Super Bowl hoopla was going on : ) Have a second one cut and ready to sew. The darker charcoal squares were left over Minkie from our DD Christmas quilt backing. Maybe not the best placing of color, but it used what I had. Got the bright lime green flannel with white dots for the backing for under $3/yd at JoAnn's yesterday on sale.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]508754[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dscf4401.jpg  
Old 02-04-2015, 07:20 AM

Double Slice quilt by Jenny Doan. It is great for using larger scraps of fabrics (10" for her pattern) but you could easily change the size of the squares you use. Easy to chain piece, very little matching of seams and no borders needed. One of the few patterns I have used more than once.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:48 AM
Power Poster

That was a neat D9P that you made EmiliasNana. I like your precise color placement.

Easy and Quick is BQ2 by Maple Islands quilt:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...ttern&_sacat=0
Old 02-04-2015, 10:34 AM

the fastest quilt ever to make with a jelly roll is a split rail. you can separate your strips into 3 piles - light, medium and dark or just toss them in a pile and randomly pull out 3 at a time. I love to do these when I just feel like accomplishing something quickly or to use as the wrapping for a small basket full of baby necessities as a shower gift. (I pull it around a bowl shaped basket like you would cellophane and tie with a big bow.)