Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
whats your opinion of a Designer I >

whats your opinion of a Designer I

whats your opinion of a Designer I

Old 05-14-2011, 09:06 PM

Designer 1 machines aare a pricier odel, and well known for being a very very good machine. $1200 doesn't sound bad to me. I have 2 Vikings and wouldn't want any other company's machines.

I would ask that the machine be totally cleaned and adjusted, and get a warranty of at least 90 days on it. They shouldn't have a problem with doing this for you.

If you can, so if they offer lessons on this machine for new users -- FREE lessons.

Good luck
Julie
Old 05-15-2011, 01:39 AM
Power Poster

my designer one has been a faithful work horse for 6 years now- it has worked hard- embroidered lots- made lots of quilts- bridesmaid dresses- and costumes-
i would be lost without my designer 1
Old 05-15-2011, 03:27 AM

I have a Designer 1 as well, and love it, it has the floppy disc, which my computer will format for me.
The price seems high, check ebay for price ranges, I know you are getting from a dealer with someone nearby to service it. But remember that machine has been out of production for at least 5 years then the SE version came out.
It is a solid machine and I love mine, but I know mine is not worth that much on a trade. I was going to trade it in on Diamond and they won't give me much for it, so decided to keep it along with the Diamond. And I still use it alot.
Happy shopping!
Old 05-19-2011, 09:06 AM

a friend "viking expert" has found a D1 for 800 and she said she will sell me her SE for 1200.
Just waiting to hear from her again to discuss the final decision.
Thanks again for all your help
Can't wait to get one of them and get stitching
Old 07-26-2011, 07:44 PM

I started out with a 1+, upgraded to a designer 1 and then to a SE Limited.

To be honest with you I use my designer 1 more than the SE. It has been an awesome machine. I've had it for almost 9 years. I'm passing my 1+ on to my daughter and keeping the other two.

Undesided about upgrading to a Diamond. Maybe when I retire.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:35 AM

I wiped out my companies storage files of all their old, no longer used, floppy disks. Got a usb floppy read/write for $14 and a box of plain white labels and now I format, save, label and store in plastic, lidded boxes labeled according to subject matter, example "animal" "kitchen" etc. I only save to disk designs I actually use although I have tons saved on my computer waiting for their chance. I also digitize my own drawings as well [see S&S Computing, Sew Art]. I adore my designer 1 but I do have one question. Does anybody know how to get a chain stitch in free-motion with this machine?