Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Quilt Horror Story?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by motomom
    Spit on it, and blot with a paper towel. It needs lots of spit, and it has to be YOUR spit to work. Remaining smudge will come right out when washed with COLD, not hot, water.
    That's a great tip :!:

I think every quilt I do ends up with some little horror story attached to it. I'm good for a meltdown (usually silent beating up of myself as I don't want anyone to know I make mistakes) at least once a week. I'm still a bit of a novice, teaching myself as I go along. So there are some great scraps from cutting wrong and an assortment of blocks that are too weird for the quilt. Someday I will make a quilt of "not square" squares.

Luckily, no injuries for me.

My biggest horror story is the "quilt police"- remember I'm a novice. about 2 years ago I made a quilt for a family reunion and there were quilt police there. I almost grabbed my quilt and ran home. I was ready to cry and I felt sick to my stomach. But, it must not have been so bad as I get asked each year to make one and they sell a ton of tickets and fight over who will get it.

K4 and K3, thanks for the laughs! I was having a rough morning and this definitely helped! :lol: :lol: I too have done the cutting thing, dropped it and it cut my leg! No stitches, but still have scar! Ninnie in NC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbm
    My biggest horror story is the "quilt police"-
    I must not have been in enough quilt trouble to warrant the quilt police so I don't really know what that means?

I think I have an idea: I bought fabric for a quilt and the quiltzilla owner of the shop said to me: "Please tell me that you are not planning to use this fabric on the same quilt." (Which of course was EXACTLY what I had planned) She then said: "What will you name it? Nightmare on Elm Street?" I told her she would eat her words......and she did.

My biggest horror story is the "quilt police"- remember I'm a novice. about 2 years ago I made a quilt for a family reunion and there were quilt police there. I almost grabbed my quilt and ran home. I was ready to cry and I felt sick to my stomach.
    I've had this happen too... and it's gutting. Someone ran down a quilt I'd made as a gift, and then the very next day someone else told me how awesome it was. It made me realise how subjective and personal taste is. I try not to take the quilt police comments to heart. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I bought fabric for a quilt and the quiltzilla owner of the shop said to me: "Please tell me that you are not planning to use this fabric on the same quilt." (Which of course was EXACTLY what I had planned) She then said: "What will you name it? Nightmare on Elm Street?" I told her she would eat her words......and she did.
    Well done dude! :-)
    I love the term "quiltzilla". I had a woman in a shop give me a long and loud lecture while cutting my fabrics that the "true spirit" of quilting was using whatever you had lying around, not buying particular fabrics that matched. I didn't have the guts to tell her that what she was saying would actually do her out of business!

Quote Originally Posted by Ninnie
    K4 and K3, thanks for the laughs! I was having a rough morning and this definitely helped! :lol: :lol: I too have done the cutting thing, dropped it and it cut my leg! No stitches, but still have scar! Ninnie in NC
    Something similar happened to my little girl. I keep my rotary cutters out of reach of children, but she threw something up and knocked it off or something, and it fell and hit her on the wrist. It was shut, but the impact from the fall made it shove in a little. It only barely broke the skin, but still scary. It could've been much worse. Now, I keep them up even higher (I'm short, so it seems like a mile) in a pretty painted planter that is heavy and won't tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonpi
    My very first quilt was a queen extra long and wide, Trip Around the World filled with high loft poly, warm as toast, hand quilting that took months. When my Dane puppy was about 6 months old, my ex and I went out for groceries. Max had decided to nest on the bed, shredding the center of the quilt, the wool blanket and sheets underneath, and finally stopped at the mattress pad.

:shock: Oh my..that is my nightmare. Especially since one of my boys has taken to dragging around a cheap throw blanket in his mouth when my husband is gone. It is his security blanket.

I have taken out a smallish chunk of my finger w/ my rotary cutter. Just being careless, I guess. I was so surprised I couldn't believe it, but as there was quite a bit of blood... Ugh, must stop before I get woozy again!

My horror story, though was in the making of a quilt for my only niece. My brother, her daddy, is a dairy farmer, and I was making Tammy Tadd's "Hey Cow." The top was finished, I'd sandwiched it and was trimming off the excess before quilting. And... somehow... I cut a hole in the top! I thought I was going to be sick.

My fix was to put a piece of fusible through the hole between the top & the batting (Warm & Natural), fused it, then quilted carefully over it to make sure it wouldn't come up. If anyone should look closely, they'd be able to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by motomom
    Hope you heal soon since blood stains are hard to get out of the fabric.
    Actually, I learned a trick for this. You know when you accidentally prick your finger and it gets a little spot of blood on your quilt?

Spit on it, and blot with a paper towel. It needs lots of spit, and it has to be YOUR spit to work. Remaining smudge will come right out when washed with COLD, not hot, water.
    I have heard of this, so I tried it with chocolate, lol. The stain did come out...maybe the formula makeup of my blood is the same. Does that mean I bleed chocolate? If so, don't tell me, I have been recently suspicioned to be a cannibal, after biting one of grandbabies fingers.
    I don't want to eat myself, in my sleep, and wake up dead! :lol:

I was making a garden quilt. I had the great idea of making the floating blocks and turning the squares so it would look like the flowers were floating on different green fabrics. I spent time planning the quilt. I had already bought all the flower pieces I wanted. I cut up everything I had for it, as I wanted it to be scrappy and it was great.

Until I realized that I had not figured the squares right. And it wasn't going to work at all. So, I put it away. And just about cried. 6 months later, I decide to use all the fabric. I really need a summer garden to look at in January in MN. So, I sewed. And, although this is not what I intended, this turned out better than I hoped it would. :)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by purpl7
    I was making a garden quilt. I had the great idea of making the floating blocks and turning the squares so it would look like the flowers were floating on different green fabrics. I spent time planning the quilt. I had already bought all the flower pieces I wanted. I cut up everything I had for it, as I wanted it to be scrappy and it was great.

Until I realized that I had not figured the squares right. And it wasn't going to work at all. So, I put it away. And just about cried. 6 months later, I decide to use all the fabric. I really need a summer garden to look at in January in MN. So, I sewed. And, although this is not what I intended, this turned out better than I hoped it would. :)
    That quilt looks gorgeous! Bet you're glad it's done now. :-)

The thing with spit is right... it's the enzymes in the saliva that work on the stain. Part of the secret is getting the spit on the stain while it's still wet, before it can set. And anyone's spit will work, although it's probably more hygenic to stick with your own! lol

I think every quilt I do ends up with some little horror story attached to it. I'm good for a meltdown (usually silent beating up of myself as I don't want anyone to know I make mistakes) at least once a week. I'm still a bit of a novice, teaching myself as I go along. So there are some great scraps from cutting wrong and an assortment of blocks that are too weird for the quilt. Someday I will make a quilt of "not square" squares.

Luckily, no injuries for me.

My biggest horror story is the "quilt police"- remember I'm a novice. about 2 years ago I made a quilt for a family reunion and there were quilt police there. I almost grabbed my quilt and ran home. I was ready to cry and I felt sick to my stomach. But, it must not have been so bad as I get asked each year to make one and they sell a ton of tickets and fight over who will get it.
    Sounds to me, like you have family that are "quilt police" bc they are envious. We all know, that even when our seams and points don't look perfect, that a lot of work and determination goes into these quilts.
    I couldn't help but chuckle about the part, where you almost grabbed it, and ran home, but they were being mean. Shame on them! Just remember, even the best quilter in the world can 'flub' up, if not paying attention. It's that kind of craft. I'm a great flubber, but I'm also a great ripper. Can't keep a good dog down :P

My biggest horror story is the "quilt police"-
    I must not have been in enough quilt trouble to warrant the quilt police so I don't really know what that means?

I think I have an idea: I bought fabric for a quilt and the quiltzilla owner of the shop said to me: "Please tell me that you are not planning to use this fabric on the same quilt." (Which of course was EXACTLY what I had planned) She then said: "What will you name it? Nightmare on Elm Street?" I told her she would eat her words......and she did.
    OMGosh, Martina, that is a great,...and funny story!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
    I had not heard of "quiltzilla", (shop owner), lmbo right now, but of course a superhero would. (You know my grandbaby believes in you, lol...see other post, um, somewhere :D).
    That was extremely rude. Sounds like she had seen you before, so was taking liberties. It's rude, even when family does it, but we kind of expect it, from them once in a while. I love the way you handled it!
    I'd love to see a pic of quilt. Bet if you had said, "well, I'll go home and think about it", and walked out, without buying fabric...HaHaHaHa...next time she would have bit her tongue off and chewed, before losing the money!
    You probably did it in a very, nonchalant, superhero-ish way though, not really a confrontation. I've never been able to walk away from fabric...sigh,...but then, I've never been talked to that way...although, once after being in a Joann's for a couple hours, and had, oh, about six assorted size cuts...and was eyeballing a bolt on counter behind cutter...I had said, that I needed a certain color for a mystery quilt...(now if it was a mystery to me, what was it to these ppl?)...when I said, "let me look at that bolt over there, maybe that would work"...at least 3 of the ppl around me, (in unison), all shouted, "NO!".... now that was a truly, weird thing! I just shrugged it off, looked at it, and said, "nope, not right, shade." doo doo doo doo....(must have been police, gestapo :? )

Quote Originally Posted by purpl7

WOW, purple7, that's a great scrappy quilt. Nice and bright and cheerful. Bet it brightened things for you as you worked on it, huh? :D

P.S. got quite a cutie there, in pic!!! :D :D :D

Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Quote Originally Posted by key4unc
    My quilt horror story is that I chopped off the tip of my middle finger with my rotary cutter Sunday. :shock: OUCH :( Definitely need to buy a klutz glove as this is the third time I've done/
    Ouch!!! :cry:

But if this is the third time, I was wondering, just HOW short is that finger now? :D

K x
    Sorry, cut was awful :cry: , but K's reaction, is hilarious! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
    I have heard of this, so I tried it with chocolate, lol.
    Color me confused. You spat on the blood with chocolate????????? muuuuhahaha

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
    I have heard of this, so I tried it with chocolate, lol.
    Color me confused. You spat on the blood with chocolate????????? muuuuhahaha
    i think QNC spat on chocolate and it came out so it must be like blood? Don't know, she's so sweet, wouldn't surprise me if she did have chocolate running through her veins! :D

K x

I actually have a horrible story, but I didn't have time to type it up until now.
    My MIL is a wonderful quilter, and I love lighthouse. My MIL does a lot of embroidered quilt squares. She made me a lighthouse quilt for my birthday a couple years ago. She drew these lighthouses before embroidering from a pattern she cut out or something. She looked at all kinds of pictures of lighthouses to figure out how to embroider them. How sweet, and how much work she must've put into this quilt!

I have a friend that bought me an Amish built shelf w/a quilt hanger. So, I hung my quilt from MIL on this shelf!

Well, when we moved into our new house that DH built us, we still had well water, which came from MIL's well. We had bought a water conditioner and had been keeping the iron to a minimum. So, my son and DD liked to get behind the quilt and play and hide. And they had cheesey poofs...cheese puffs, cheese curls, you know those yellow corn snacks....and, you guessed it, they got it on the quilt!
    So, I washed it. And YOU GUESSED IT--something had gone wrong with the water. I don't know if there had been air in the lines (from turning the pump on and off during lightning), or WHAT, but the iron decided to come out on the quilt. The cheesey poofs washed out, but iron is HE)( to get out!
    If there are quilt police here, leave now! I got the stains out by putting greased lightning on the quilt and scrubbing with a small brush. It came out. I don't remember if I washed something else through the washer before I put the quilt back in or not. If you looked close enough, you might be able to tell I scrubbed the quilt, but I doubt it. I never told my MIL. I won't. It took a long time to get all those stains out. I was so afraid it would never be the same! The kids still won't leave it alone, but all food is strictly banned from any room other than the kitchen! And that's where it should've been in the first place. I didn't tell them to take the cheesies off the counter and go hide!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Patsy's "Mom"
    I have a gorgeous Irish chain that my mother pieced for me and my aunt hand-quilted. I fell asleep once while grading papers in bed and got ink stains all over it, which I have never been able to remove! ARRRRGGGGHHHHH! I toy with the idea of picking out the quilting and removing the worst pieces and trying to replace them, but I am too scared to try it!
    I tried hair spray on ink stains. worked for me, repeated tries, but worked. good luck, I made my daughter an Irish chain quilt, queen sized. she is a smoker........ yes, she got 2 large burn spots. last labor intensive quilt she will get!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Patsy's "Mom"
    I have a gorgeous Irish chain that my mother pieced for me and my aunt hand-quilted. I fell asleep once while grading papers in bed and got ink stains all over it, which I have never been able to remove! ARRRRGGGGHHHHH! I toy with the idea of picking out the quilting and removing the worst pieces and trying to replace them, but I am too scared to try it!
    Hair spray should take it right out. I have used it on clothes and my good sofa in the living room.

Oh good for you!!!!! I really hate it when people can't keep their sorry opinions to themselves. If you can't say something nice then........

Blog Entries
    Hair spray... This is timely for me, not on quilt but on clothes and still in washer. (yep, forgot to check pockets!) :oops:

Can it be pump or aerosal or it doesn't make a difference!

I found out hairspray would take permanent marker off of hard plastic and other hard surfaces when I was a kid. Let's just say I've always been "creative". Later on, I found out that alcohol does the same, and I assumed it was the alcohol in the hairspray that was doing the trick.
    So, does alcohol work on fabric? Maybe it's worth a try.

Celeste: I've used both kinds on hard surfaces.

Super Member Baren*eh*ked_canadian's Avatar
    Each quilt I finish has some kind of horror story attatched to it, but I think the worst one is the irish chain I made for my mum for Christmas last year. I bought a new kind of basting spray (bet you already know where this is going, eh?) after spending dozens of hours on the quilt top, assembled the quilt with the batting and backing, quilted bound and washed it, and the spray adhesive didn't wash out! There were discoloured blotchy patches all over the backing. I tried every kind of solvant in the house, and nothing worked. It even kind of faded the colours a bit :( I finished the #!$!^* thing on Christmas eve, or soemthing so there really wasn't any time at all to fix it, and I was bawling my face off. Luckily it was for my mother, I gave the gift anyway, and explained what happend to it. I got lots of wonderful suggestions from this forum and told my mother what to wash it with and she didn't even care that it was stained. She said you could barely tell and it didn't matter. If anyone ever came over to her house and made comments about her gift she would tell them where to shove it, lol! My parents still fight over the quilt, my father keeps stealing it to use on the sofa in the basement when he's watching hockey or playing music or something and my mother always has to hunt it down, lol! I'm making my father his own quilt right now, but I will never EVER use that brand of spray basting again. EVER!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast