Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: What's Your Quilt Horror Story?

Quote Originally Posted by Celeste
    Hair spray... This is timely for me, not on quilt but on clothes and still in washer. (yep, forgot to check pockets!) :oops:

Can it be pump or aerosal or it doesn't make a difference!
    I have used both and they both work. I dont use aerosol any more because of the environment, so only have pump. I have used it on my brand new sofa works great. I have used it for year.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Baren*eh*ked_canadian
    I finished the #!$!^* thing on Christmas eve,
    There's the spirit. lol

OMG, I get a sympathy stomach ache just reading your story. Isn't your Mom sweet though?

My quilt horror story is..I tried to make a lone star not by piecing but by using a big diamond shape got it from my sister lost directions tried to do it by phone :shock: :cry:
    Now I got it all together and I was so proud until I spread it out and it had a cap at the center would not lay flat. Ripped out stiches tried and ripped and tried then :cry: . Wadded it up threw it in a bin,forgot it.
    Then I came across it 2 weeks ago :-o took it to my neighbor quilter and ask for help She said OH!!! I just learned how to do that so it will lay down. She showed me what to do. Then said if that doesn't work you can just quilt the ##@@ out of it and know one will know. I haven't tried it yet, it keeps looking at me. I guess I will wait a little while longer before attacking it. :x
    BillsBonBon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill'sBonBon
    My quilt horror story is..I tried to make a lone star
    That is a tough quilt to do even when you have the perfect set of instructions. I started a lone star pretty early in my quilting experience and apparently I turned the first of my pieces. I knew something was wrong but I didn't realize until I was almost done that my color graduation went to a point down the center (insrtead of radiating from the center). It is unique and one of these days I'll finish it. If all else fails, I'll take your advice and quilt the &*(% out of it - lol

My quilt horror story is..I tried to make a lone star not by piecing but by using a big diamond shape got it from my sister lost directions tried to do it by phone :shock: :cry:
    Now I got it all together and I was so proud until I spread it out and it had a cap at the center would not lay flat. Ripped out stiches tried and ripped and tried then :cry: . Wadded it up threw it in a bin,forgot it.
    Then I came across it 2 weeks ago :-o took it to my neighbor quilter and ask for help She said OH!!! I just learned how to do that so it will lay down. She showed me what to do. Then said if that doesn't work you can just quilt the ##@@ out of it and know one will know. I haven't tried it yet, it keeps looking at me. I guess I will wait a little while longer before attacking it. :x
    BillsBonBon
    I got out that Horror and took pictures of it. The star is so bright I could not get to close or you couldn't see it plan. Look real close and you can see the cap. LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images

BillsBonBon
    I got out that Horror and took pictures of it. The star is so bright I could not get to close or you couldn't see it plan. Look real close and you can see the cap. LOL
    It's pretty. I think your neighbor has a good idea about the quilting! LOL!

Blog Entries
    I bought a new kind of basting spray (bet you already know where this is going, eh?) after spending dozens of hours on the quilt top, assembled the quilt with the batting and backing, quilted bound and washed it, and the spray adhesive didn't wash out! There were discoloured blotchy patches all over the backing. I tried every kind of solvant in the house, and nothing worked. It even kind of faded the colours a bit :(
    Could you please, please, please post the brand of that basting spray? I haven't been loyal to any one brand and I *definitely* do not want to purchase that one!!! :!:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Patsy's "Mom"
    I have a gorgeous Irish chain that my mother pieced for me and my aunt hand-quilted. I fell asleep once while grading papers in bed and got ink stains all over it, which I have never been able to remove! ARRRRGGGGHHHHH! I toy with the idea of picking out the quilting and removing the worst pieces and trying to replace them, but I am too scared to try it!
    Hair spray is supposed to take ball point pen ink out. It worked on a polyester shirt - I've never tried it on cotton.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
    Quote Originally Posted by motomom
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Hope you heal soon since blood stains are hard to get out of the fabric.
    Actually, I learned a trick for this. You know when you accidentally prick your finger and it gets a little spot of blood on your quilt?

Spit on it, and blot with a paper towel. It needs lots of spit, and it has to be YOUR spit to work. Remaining smudge will come right out when washed with COLD, not hot, water.
    I have heard of this, so I tried it with chocolate, lol. The stain did come out...maybe the formula makeup of my blood is the same. Does that mean I bleed chocolate? If so, don't tell me, I have been recently suspicioned to be a cannibal, after biting one of grandbabies fingers.
    I don't want to eat myself, in my sleep, and wake up dead! :lol:
    C'mon everybody. Let's go to QnC's and eat her - free chocolate!

Blog Entries
    Each quilt I finish has some kind of horror story attatched to it, but I think the worst one is the irish chain I made for my mum for Christmas last year. I bought a new kind of basting spray (bet you already know where this is going, eh?) after spending dozens of hours on the quilt top, assembled the quilt with the batting and backing, quilted bound and washed it, and the spray adhesive didn't wash out! There were discoloured blotchy patches all over the backing. I tried every kind of solvant in the house, and nothing worked. It even kind of faded the colours a bit :( I finished the #!$!^* thing on Christmas eve, or soemthing so there really wasn't any time at all to fix it, and I was bawling my face off. Luckily it was for my mother, I gave the gift anyway, and explained what happend to it. I got lots of wonderful suggestions from this forum and told my mother what to wash it with and she didn't even care that it was stained. She said you could barely tell and it didn't matter. If anyone ever came over to her house and made comments about her gift she would tell them where to shove it, lol! My parents still fight over the quilt, my father keeps stealing it to use on the sofa in the basement when he's watching hockey or playing music or something and my mother always has to hunt it down, lol! I'm making my father his own quilt right now, but I will never EVER use that brand of spray basting again. EVER!
    Uh Oh - I'm a new fan of basting spray, so I need to know what brand name you were using. I've used June Tailor's from JoAnn's. Please tell me that was NOT the one that stained!

I thought I didn't have any major horror stories, and then Palm Sunday came along. The sister of a friend called me. She never called me before and I was a little surpirsed. She had a quilt top she finished to raffle in church and she needs a quilter to quilt it for her. I said sure, bring it on. The top was beautiful. Mostly WHITE with hand applique flowers. The applique wasn't perfect and neither was her piecing, but in general was very nice.

I started working on it the very next day. I do all my quilting with a very old Bernina. I had it serviced a few months ago and have used it a lot since then, so I figured, it is safe to use.

Well, it wasn't. My machine made a sound that I think sounded like a sneeze. Yes, sewing machines do sneeze. Along with it, the poor old machine had a little problem holding it, you know, weak bladder, and it wet itself, on the quilt. Yes!!! a drop of oil fell and landed on the very center square and Did you know that against white fabric oil looks black?
    I never noticed that before. Maybe because it never happened before.

I ran, took the quilt out of the machine and took it to the bathroom. I found nail polish remover and poured it on the spot and the stain just vanished. I was worried because I still could see a shadow of it, but when the quilt dried the spot dissapeared.

I opened my machine and found a puddle of oil just waiting for white fabric and drip again. I cleaned the machine well and finished the quilt. On Easter Sunday she picked it up and I don't want to see that quilt again.

Maria

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maride
    I thought I didn't have any major horror stories, and then Palm Sunday came along.
    I didn't mean it as a challenge - really :wink:

Thanks for pointing out that even sewing machines can suffer from internal health issues. I think I'll keep a rag (or a bucket) close to mine from now on. I am soooooo glad you were able to get the stain out though. I bet your heart just sank when it happened.

My heart sunk, along with my stomach, my brain, and everything that is supposed to be held in place. I didn't take it as a challenge, but my machine was thinking (they also have a brain) Let me show you can I can do.

Maria

Actually going to a quilt shop w/a 'friend' and to be totally excited about going for I was needing 1 yard of a certain fabric for the piece I was working on. We talked quilter talk all the way up there...even told what I was looking for...only to browse the shop around and around and I wasn't finding what I was looking for...only to find my 'friend' w/it at the cutting table and taking 'all of it'...which was the 2yrds left on the bolt. It is funny now! But, at the time I let my human self kick in...how rude!:)And, yes, I did get my yard at the end of the story and no I don't shop w/her anymore;)Skeat

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeat
    ...only to find my 'friend' w/it at the cutting table and taking 'all of it'...which was the 2yrds left on the bolt.
    Did she know?

...only to find my 'friend' w/it at the cutting table and taking 'all of it'...which was the 2yrds left on the bolt.
    Did she know?
    She knew I was going after that fabric for a project for we discussed that on the way and other quilting topics. She had snuck it up to the cutting table w/other fabrics w/in prob 15min of being there...the whole time I was walking around this shop asking if anyone had seen where that print went:)

Blog Entries
    Did she know?
    She knew I was going after that fabric for a project for we discussed that on the way and other quilting topics. She had snuck it up to the cutting table w/other fabrics w/in prob 15min of being there...the whole time I was walking around this shop asking if anyone had seen where that print went:)
    Do you s'pose she was going to give it to you as a surprise? If not, what kind of a friend is she? I'm scratching my head??????????

Quote Originally Posted by JoanneS
    Did she know?
    Do you s'pose she was going to give it to you as a surprise? If not, what kind of a friend is she? I'm scratching my head??????????
    Joanne...You defin. have a good heart and too trusting!:)No...it was not going to be a gift from her ..I assure you:)LOL There were defin. claws attached this at the cutting table:)LOL I did get my yard...that was all I was wanting:)And, somebody was defin not happy over it:)

Blog Entries
    I don't like petty and jealous people. Just think that she created her own bad Kharma, and she lost a friend.

Yes so right madquilter:0)People can be funny sometimes:)Skeat

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3