Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Whch quilting jobs would you give to your quilting fairy? >

Whch quilting jobs would you give to your quilting fairy?

Whch quilting jobs would you give to your quilting fairy?

Old 06-25-2015, 06:41 AM

tidying up each day
I like all the steps of making a quilt
Old 06-25-2015, 06:50 AM

Layering the sandwich. I hate that part; I have back issues and even with my new method working up on a table and using Elmer's for speed, I am sore afterwards.

OOOh, wait, I might need to change my answer to pre-washing. If I had a fairy to pre-wash all my fabric and fold it all neatly and wrap it on my comic book boards for me, that'd be pretty cool. I *really* love having my fabric all ready to go like that, but it's not a fun part of the process for me.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:51 AM

Organizing my stash and binding! Mostly binding.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:59 AM

The only thing I would need one for would be needle-turning the applique of pointy things, like leaves. Love everything else.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:02 AM
Power Poster

Binding the quilt. I really hate it and often almost finished quilts just lay there with only the binding to go still.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:23 AM

I just need my fairy to clean my sewing room so I can get in there to actually do some sewing!
Old 06-25-2015, 07:28 AM

I use to think it was the ironing but it's making the backing. Trimming both edges and try to get it straight drives me crazy. I see wide backing material in my future if the material works with the quilt!
Old 06-25-2015, 07:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Basting Fairy not needed: I don't add borders unless it enhances the quilt and is pieced, borders to make the quilt bigger looks like add ons to make the quilt bigger.
Unless it is used to create a canvas of negative space for some drop dead gorgeous quilting or the quilt is such that it needs a frame. It is also a great space to show off some large print fabric that you just couldn't bear to cut. I love a gorgeous needle turn applique border of vines and leaves. And what about all those great border prints out there? There are many uses of borders that are not pieced then just to make the quilt bigger. IMHO every masterpiece deserves a frame.

As for my quilting fairy I seem to enjoy every part of it. Although marking is probably my least favorite, measuring out and marking registration points for quilting a motif that needs to be symmetrical and mirrored or breaking out the border for symmetrical designs. Not a big fan of blocking either. So my quilt fairy can do the blocking or marking for me.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:38 AM

basting or binding
Old 06-25-2015, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Unless it is used to create a canvas of negative space for some drop dead gorgeous quilting or the quilt is such that it needs a frame. It is also a great space to show off some large print fabric that you just couldn't bear to cut. I love a gorgeous needle turn applique border of vines and leaves. And what about all those great border prints out there? There are many uses of borders that are not pieced then just to make the quilt bigger. IMHO every masterpiece deserves a frame.

As for my quilting fairy I seem to enjoy every part of it. Although marking is probably my least favorite, measuring out and marking registration points for quilting a motif that needs to be symmetrical and mirrored or breaking out the border for symmetrical designs. Not a big fan of blocking either. So my quilt fairy can do the blocking or marking for me.
In these cases the borders will enhance the quilt. Not all added borders do.