Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wheelchair quilts... 36" or 42" better? >

Wheelchair quilts... 36" or 42" better?

Wheelchair quilts... 36" or 42" better?

Old 09-26-2015, 11:28 AM

Can't help you with the size, but I saw these and thought it would be a great idea if the wheelchair quilt had a pocket for hands and tissues. https://www.pinterest.com/homesewn/unique-lap-quilts/
Old 09-26-2015, 11:37 AM

Fabulous idea! I'd want big, deep, flannel lined pockets ! Nothing too tight for a person with joint issue.

Originally Posted by tesspug View Post
Can't help you with the size, but I saw these and thought it would be a great idea if the wheelchair quilt had a pocket for hands and tissues. https://www.pinterest.com/homesewn/unique-lap-quilts/
Old 09-26-2015, 02:04 PM
Power Poster

I have seen some lap quilts where the bottom 2 corners are cut at a diagonal about 6" from the corner...this keeps the corners from getting caught in the wheels and doesn't affect the functionality of the quilt...flannel backing sounds like a great idea.

What a sweet idea for your aunt...it might be nice to add a variety of textures...satin, fleece, etc near the area where her hands would lay, just to give her the ability to feel something soft and different.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:56 AM

I made one for my good friend who was a stroke patient. It is 37"x37" with a large outside pocket. I planned to put a large button and a cord loop on the bottom ends to be fastened behind the legs. Unfortunately she passed away before it was finished, so I can't tell you if it worked well.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

I agree with talking to someone close to her that could furnish you the right size but I agree with the two ties so you could tie it to the back braces of the chair. Good idea.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:43 PM

You could even fold the bottom about 8" & sew up the sides to make a pocket for her feet to slip into. Wouldn't have the problem of it slipping onto the floor or getting caught in the wheels. The pattern tesspug posted would be fantastic with the pocket for her hands & tissue. You could even put a few extra pockets for books & such.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:35 AM

Ask the nursing home first. They may have their own size standards. One of our local nursing homes do not want them larger than 36 x 36.

Sandy
Old 09-28-2015, 05:54 AM
RST

Can I be really blunt -- as someone who sews a lot of things for people with disabilities *and* sees how the use patterns go in real time? Skip all the features, unless they are specifically requested by the person you're making this for. A pocket that doesn't sit just where it should is a pain in the butt and annoying. Straps may or may not have anything to strap to, depending on the specific chair, and even if they do happen to fit, they are a liability for transfers. Velcro anything invariably snags things you don't want snagged, or irritates fragile skin, not to mention picking up lint in the wash. Anything that requires explanation will be an annoyance to the staff or helper.

Just make her a lovely lap quilt small enough that it won't catch or drag. If she doesn't use it as a lap quilt, it could look nice as a bed runner or a table topper or over the back of a couch. Alternatively, it would be super for a lap quilt in the car or at a medical visit. By making something that is just basic and lovely, you have far greater chances of it being loved and appreciated.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like the KIS method is the best...Keep it Simple.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Sounds like the KIS method is the best...Keep it Simple.
Always the best method! That is why I decided to go with the offset bricks in the end... simple, quick, and looks nice. It will also lend itself well to straight-line quilting, which is also simple and quick. Although the person that suggested clipping the corners might be on to something. I think I will round the corners using a dinner plate or something else with a wide arch. Guess that means I will be doing some bias binding though.