Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When is the best time to buy fabric >

When is the best time to buy fabric

When is the best time to buy fabric

Old 11-10-2022, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by craft View Post
Hi everyone,
I was wondering when is the best time of the year to buy certain fabric colors and prints?
Thanks,
craft
For me the answer is When it is on sale. I have not purchased fabric except some for the aprons for the kids Christmas Shoppe boxes in the past 8 years and even that fabric was on sale. I do not buy even fat quarters unless they are on sale.
Old 11-10-2022, 03:11 AM

I am not a collector of fabric. I inherited my SIL's stash when she passed away 20+ years ago and I am still finding cuts from her stash in my bins. As we all know, a little fabric can go a long, long way, except for backing of course. It can take a long time to use up what we have on hand already. I shop stash first, quilt shop second and the give away tables that I see at quilt groups I attend. I almost never buy fabric "because I like it or might use it someday". That is one way of keeping my stash under control.

For me the perfect time to buy fabric is when I need it. Like Quiltingcandy,, I have enough stash to feed my yearning to create quilts. I know that others purchase differently and just like our quilts, we do what fits our method, personality and desire to design and sew. Happy quilting. .
Old 11-10-2022, 09:18 PM

I don't know that fabric has "seasons" like cars and clothing, although I've noticed they do seem to go through trends. A few years back I could not find any forest green fabric to save my life - everything was shades of olive.
Old 11-13-2022, 04:19 AM

I think more of sales for quilting cotton 'seasonal' fabric are the Holiday designs and Holiday colors. And, sales for when the fabric stores are clearing out 'leftovers' (having remaining stock left) to make room for new designs coming in.

Also, fleece and flannel fabrics, and also wool fabrics seem to have sales more in the fall and winter months as well.
Old 11-17-2022, 11:03 AM

when you need it or want it if it is on sale that is a bonus
Old 11-17-2022, 01:22 PM

Can't really say when, but I seem to stumble up on sales when I can't buy, or my budget won't allow it. JoAnn's had lot of fabric marked down a few months back changing out stock. So, I thought the same of Hobby Lobby a week or so back when I walk in there and seen all the fabric sitting around with those $3 and $4 a yard marked on the bolts. I thought I had died, so I walked away from it all