Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When is the best time to buy fabric >

When is the best time to buy fabric

When is the best time to buy fabric

Old 11-08-2022, 11:56 AM

Default When is the best time to buy fabric

Hi everyone,
I was wondering when is the best time of the year to buy certain fabric colors and prints?
Thanks,
craft
Old 11-08-2022, 12:24 PM

I don’t think there is a specific best time of year. Black Friday is a time when many have sales but with this years price increases don’t expect to see tremendous savings. I subscribe to a few online shops and on occasion find wonderful bargains. This year I am not buying unless the price is right or I need it to finish a project.
Old 11-08-2022, 12:50 PM
Power Poster

Right now Hobby Lobby is having a good sale every other week. I bought fall fabric prints for 75% this morning. Great for projects. All other fabric is 40% off. I always buy the Robert Kauffman fabric there when on sale, not much but there are some bolts of it. Aslo Kona brand. Wide backing is 40% off. Many bolts are marked $3 a yard in the clearance section and $5 for batiks. I have placemats and tablerunners made with HL fabric and they show no more wear then the ones I mad using quilt shop fabric and they get washed much more then a quilt would.

I overheard the owner of the lqs tell one employee that there would be no sale on fabric after the 1st of the year. I don't know what that meant or how long of no sale fabric. I do know fabric is going up in price again. I have been buying basic colors by the yards and can fill in with focus fabric as needed. Easier to buy a little focus fabric then yards of background when the price goes high.
Old 11-08-2022, 12:54 PM

LQS having anniversary sale 40% off. Had fun for new project.
Old 11-08-2022, 05:44 PM

Pet the fabric which LQS is having the anniversary sale? I need some toddler girl fabric.
Old 11-08-2022, 11:28 PM

In Crystal River Florida, Beyond the stitches.
Old 11-09-2022, 02:56 AM

I usually keep an eye out for sales, checking out the clearance, sales bins, daily sales, etc. Lots of time sales come up with seasonal fabric designs a bit before the season and then just again after it. If you shop online it good to get emails from the shops you like. They usually keep you updated on good buys.

So basically, all year round is a good time. Just keep an eye out for the type of design or fabric you are looking for.
Old 11-09-2022, 03:43 AM

The best time is when you see something you love or need and can afford it. Shops may offer sales occasionally, but nothing across the board like appliance sales around big holidays.
Old 11-09-2022, 04:17 PM

It depends. I usually wait for a sale if l need to " stock up" on certain colors or types of fabric in general. But if l absolutely need something " now", l shop around for the best price, and only buy what l need plus a wee bit extra " just in case".
Old 11-09-2022, 10:19 PM

I have had so much of a stash that I was and still am overwhelmed and now giving a lot of it to my sister's church. So now I quit looking for fabric and buy what I need when I need it. I do shop around for the best price but no longer think having a large stash helps me in any way. It's fun to shop for fabric for a quilt, take it home, wash it up and get to work.