Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: When to call it quits

Blog Entries
    Good idea to make test blocks. I think I made three at the most (third was a keeper). Once I made a test block out of what I thought was ugly fabric and I liked it so well I wished there was enough for the entire quilt!
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Banned
    I seldom make a practice block - I just dive in. If the first block is fudgeable I keep going. If not, I go on to some other quilt.

I agree with QM. The biggest problems I've had with points were when I've tried to use a "scant" 1/4" seam. Try a generous 1/4" for the triangles. Then a standard 1/4" seam for your sashing should work. With the 1/4" foot for each of my machines, I can move the needle 1 position to either left or right, so that's how I do it.

Quote Originally Posted by QM View Post
    Yours are at least as good as the first quilt I made with that pattern. I suspect that some of your seam allowances are a little bit small. For what it's worth, the neice for who I made that first quilt with this pattern wrote me, "I didn't know you loved me that much." Don't get discouraged. You are on the right track.
    Shirley in Arizona

I usually do one block. You say your points are bad.....do a search for my quilt "Pointless Star".......ROL -- dang near every star has its points missing!!! Sometimes the pattern is just plain bad. On the next block you make, cut the white border fabric larger....then when you get it done, you can cut it to within 1/4" of those points. Good luck!
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

ummmmmm * guilting look*.... test blocks???? my whole quilting process is " testing".... I just jump right in and start making the blocks!!

They look great to me. You are truly a perfectionist.

Blog Entries
    Suggestions that I thought of have been said. Just wanted to say I like your test blocks.
    Helen T.

If ou have a lot to yet, here's what I'd do - figure out how to make just the white parts a bit bigger. That means when you sew the HST the white side is longer on the pointed edge and the other section, the white it wider. Then when you piece them, they will be large enough for you to trim them ALL down to the correct size.

Quote Originally Posted by postal packin' mama View Post
    What's the name of the design?

They're very pretty, all of them.
    I saw it on a swap that's going on now,

http://www.quiltinaday.com/freepatte...GoRound_12.pdf
    Last edited by Twisted Quilter; 05-01-2012 at 07:38 AM.
    If you choose the behavior, you accept the consequences...Dr. Phil

The blocks don't look centered on the back ground , it doesn't look squared. your points look great to me, I don't think that's the problem. maybe just my eyes??? Hope you find the fix I love the pattern and your colors.
    Last edited by Grace MooreLinker; 05-01-2012 at 07:59 AM.
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

Those certainly don't look like test blocks. They look great. Please share finished quilt with us. I know it will be beautiful.

They look great to me. Make smaller seam allowances for the sashing and you will be all set. For the next few, make your side pieces wider than your pattern calls for to give room to have a 1/4 seam allowance, maybe? It could be they are out of whack in the pattern.
    I make all my test pieces pieces out of greens, aquas and blues and then put them all together in a "sampler of oops" quilt! Most people don't realize they are test patterns and i have a stack of color-coordianted quilts to keep me warm.
    Lottie
    Be Yourself. Everyone else is taken.

Quote Originally Posted by laffygiraffe View Post
    I make all my test pieces pieces out of greens, aquas and blues and then put them all together in a "sampler of oops" quilt! Most people don't realize they are test patterns and i have a stack of color-coordianted quilts to keep me warm.
    What a great idea!!!

Blog Entries
    If I do a test block, I do only one, taking it apart and redoing it as many times as needed...sometimes I have to put in new pieces because they get ripped after so many stitch removals! LOL

I just looked at the pics of the ones you have made. Try cutting the white pieces a little bit larger.

Quote Originally Posted by bluteddi View Post
    ummmmmm * guilting look*.... test blocks???? my whole quilting process is " testing".... I just jump right in and start making the blocks!!
    This is the way I do it too! Maybe we need to change our tactics? Naaa!

Your blocks look great to me. Just be careful to keep even seam allowances. I still struggle with "scant" 1/4" seams. It gets better with practice. I love your bright colorful blocks. Be sure to post a photo of the finished quilt.

Blog Entries
    They sure look a lot better than some of the ones I've done. I think they look good. Keep at it. Love the colors you have used.
    sew1

Really pretty blocks
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEE, I finally did it! Not exactly sure what changes I made this time but all of my points are intact with room for a 1/4" seam. It took me a really long time to finish it because I was extra careful.

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm on to the next one!
    If you choose the behavior, you accept the consequences...Dr. Phil

It's great to practice to get your skills down pat but if you only put blocks in a quilt that are absolutely perfect you may give up. Just stay at it and you will get better. No one starts out perfect. Great to look back and see how much you have improved.

So glad you got it figured out. I have enjoyed all the helpful hints you've received.
    jean

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    Your points look better than mine ever do. If you think you are going to lose them, sew 1/8" instead of 1/4". That's what I usually do with sashing because my points aren't that great. I love your blocks. The fabrics and colors are so pretty. They don't look like practice blocks to me.
    A hint that works well for me...when you have to sew 1/8" seams...sew it twice...1/8" seams are prone to fray out...sewing that seam twice makes it stronger, so seldom does it fray. Beautiful blocks. I'd make your practice blocks into a donation quilt or utility quilt...don't waste them.

Can you possibly trim the blocks so there is an even seam allowance on all sides - maybe it will only be 1/8, but it will be easier to save the points if it's even on all sides.... good luck!

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter View Post
    YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEE, I finally did it! Not exactly sure what changes I made this time but all of my points are intact with room for a 1/4" seam. It took me a really long time to finish it because I was extra careful.

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm on to the next one!
    Congratulations! It's a great feeling, isn't it? These blocks are gorgeous, cant' wait to see the finished quilt.
    aka Chicken McLittle

If it's true we learn from our mistakes, I'm going to be a genius!

Blog Entries
    I usually make one practice block. Your blocks look great.

Lynn
    Start the Process
    Don't fail because you
    are afraid to
    Start the Process

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast