Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When to call it quits >

When to call it quits

When to call it quits

Old 04-30-2012, 09:56 PM

They look awesome!! You can send me your test blocks ...HAHA One day I'm going to get a package because i keep saying that....I hope!! They look awesome.....How are you pressing the seams? Are you making sure your pressing and not ironing? That can send a tiny difference....One that always happens to me mainly with points is everything sews right and consistant til that last 1/8 of an inch of fabric at the end where the tip is and I notice and yes I have resewed this many of times but some how the last 1/8 of sewing my 1/4 inch seam goes slightly like a triangle...grrr when that happens!! Happy quilting!!!
Old 05-01-2012, 04:05 AM
Banned

You didn't say how you cut the triangles. If you are cutting squares and then triangles, the problem may be in the accuracy of the cuts. Then it could also be in the long bias side of the triangle. It could have stretched in the sewing. But my guess is in the initial cutting. Go back and measure to make sure they were to true size. Pin to make sure the seam is straight. Accurate cutting and piecing sure cuts down on frustration. If you cut from squares, what was the size of the square. Then how did you cut the triangle......all these can make a difference if not accurate. Did you go back and analyze all steps when the first test block didn't come out like you intended it to.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
Put all of your practice blocks together and call it a "humility" quilt!
loll

Thank you so much for this idea.... That is exactly what I am doing with my very first quilt that I started 6 years ago with some orphan blocks left from the only quilting class I took... I was trying to think of a name for it... I'll borrow your idea! "humility quilt" Thanks again loll
by the way, I am handquilting it and, it's almost done. Then the binding and that's it! learning everything at once
loll
Old 05-01-2012, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
Your points look better than mine ever do. If you think you are going to lose them, sew 1/8" instead of 1/4". That's what I usually do with sashing because my points aren't that great. I love your blocks. The fabrics and colors are so pretty. They don't look like practice blocks to me.
I agree with jcrow, maybe if you just make your seams narrower it will give you the little extra you need to add your sashing. Your blocks are really pretty. I would keep at it because it is going to make one very lovely quilt.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:38 AM

Don't give up! Those are beautiful!
Old 05-01-2012, 05:00 AM
Power Poster

Good idea to make test blocks. I think I made three at the most (third was a keeper). Once I made a test block out of what I thought was ugly fabric and I liked it so well I wished there was enough for the entire quilt!
Old 05-01-2012, 05:06 AM
Banned

I seldom make a practice block - I just dive in. If the first block is fudgeable I keep going. If not, I go on to some other quilt.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:16 AM

I agree with QM. The biggest problems I've had with points were when I've tried to use a "scant" 1/4" seam. Try a generous 1/4" for the triangles. Then a standard 1/4" seam for your sashing should work. With the 1/4" foot for each of my machines, I can move the needle 1 position to either left or right, so that's how I do it.

Originally Posted by QM View Post
Yours are at least as good as the first quilt I made with that pattern. I suspect that some of your seam allowances are a little bit small. For what it's worth, the neice for who I made that first quilt with this pattern wrote me, "I didn't know you loved me that much." Don't get discouraged. You are on the right track.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:31 AM

I usually do one block. You say your points are bad.....do a search for my quilt "Pointless Star".......ROL -- dang near every star has its points missing!!! Sometimes the pattern is just plain bad. On the next block you make, cut the white border fabric larger....then when you get it done, you can cut it to within 1/4" of those points. Good luck!
Old 05-01-2012, 06:40 AM

ummmmmm * guilting look*.... test blocks???? my whole quilting process is " testing".... I just jump right in and start making the blocks!!