Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When to cut your losses? >

When to cut your losses?

When to cut your losses?

Old 04-01-2010, 05:58 AM

I'm with what others have already said. I would take the inside border off and replace it with a dark color -- a dark color that is already in the quilt. That will make it pop.

Then for the outside border, I would pick a solid color of one of the colors that is already in the quilt and use that.

I would then add some appliquéd flowers on that solid border, using colors already in the quilt.

If/when you do take the quilt in to audition some different colors for those borders, take the current borders off so you don't confuse the issue.

You've got a nice quilt. You deserve an "ATTA GIRL" !!

Brenda in Iowa
Old 04-02-2010, 04:03 AM

Nothing ugly about this quilt! I'm with the over dye group, the white is a little stark for all the other dark colors. And the border is just not quite "it". But when it's quilted you are going to have one fabulous masterpiece. Go for it!!
Old 04-02-2010, 06:44 AM

You made the same mistake I did when I made my daughter's wedding quilt. It was a pattern called "round the twist". I hate to piece so I made the blocks about twice the size they were in the original pattern. What really made it worse was the blocks were set on point. Blowing it up that much made every flaw stand out and the pattern was not as interesting. I ended up embroidering names, birthdays, anniversaries anything I could think of to fill in all that empty space. Close quilting in all of that white space will help your quilt and so will a less busy border.
Good luck.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by lnordyke
I made a Carpenter's Star quilt that is king-sized. It is the ugliest quilt I have ever seen. So, I put borders on it thinking that might help. It didn't. My question to the group....do I pay to have it quilted and use it on our bed or do I cut my losses now and re-cycle the fabric (or burn it). This has been a learning opportunity on what fabrics DON'T go together. My girls laughed so hard when they saw it yesterday that they were literally doubled over. Yikes!
I definitely wouldn't pay to have it quilted but you could write up a story about the quilt top and place it folded up and with the top and store it away. One day, someone just might treasure that quilt enough to complete the quilting or find a use for and you never know, it could be one of your children or grandchild down the line. Please do NOT destroy it. If you do however, find uses for the various squares and want to rip it apart to use in other ways, by all means do so - but only if it's something you really want to do. I have a wall hanging which is in that state right now and I call it "Learning tool." People rave about it but although it is pretty, I see the errors and haven't brought myself to hang it yet and may never. it could be used as a table runner or a bed runner on the foot of the bed and someday, someone, myself included, just may use it. It is quilted, bound off and tagged but it's NOT a full sized quilt. I personally would stop working on it, write the story behind it, fold it up and store it away. If you never complete it, it's a working tool an done from which you learned a lot and developed new skills so it's time to move ahead and put that knowledge and those skills into gorgeous quilts and enjoy doing them.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:03 PM

I think your Carpenter's Star Quilt is lovely. What size are the blocks, I would love to make that quilt for my granddaughter.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by lnordyke
Originally Posted by Panther Creek Quilting
Oh I am in suspense now. Really as everyone else says, I bet it is not that bad. Just remember one person's trash is another person's treasure. Many people sleep each night with nothing and would love to have it, if you decided to go the donation way. Just don't trash it, i am sure one of the suggestions made before will be better than the trash!

Sheila
OK. Get ready. Here it is..........
The quilt is far from ugly and it's obvious you've done a good job piecing it. If you don't like the border, how about taking it to a store and put some fabrics on it to see what will enhance the quilt. You have several colors to choose from. Which color would you like to see dominating the quilt. Please show us what you decide to do but it's definitely worth quilting.

I had one that I started and hated, felt it was the ugliest quilt on the planet and put it away until I learned more, tore it apart and completely reconstructed it - it's my 38 year quilt that was completed just before our 38th anniversary and is my avatar.
Click on my user name and it will take you to my profile, go to my bookmarks and click on 38 year quilt to see how I changed it to get the one in my avatar.

You may need to take a break, work on other projects, learn a bit more and one day you'll be inspired on how to correctly finish this quilt up and turn it into one you'll treasure as much as my family and I treasure m 38 year quilt.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:48 AM

That is a GREAT idea!! I used left over denim and knit fabrics to make a picnic quilt for my grand babies and it was not big enough!! So since you have a BIG one practice machine quilting on it and use it to picnic on!!!
Old 04-08-2010, 01:35 AM
Google Goddess

how are you coming along now on your quilt
Old 04-08-2010, 02:16 PM

I wondered how it's going also. After I saw the picture of your quilt I really hoped that you didn't just give up. I thought it would be so pretty with different borders.

I'd love to see what you worked out, but maybe you took some time away from it to clear your perspective. When you do get it done, be sure to show us. :-D
Old 04-09-2010, 04:36 AM

inordyke, My soul coach!!! dont you dare do anything bad to your carpenters star quilt!!!! There is NOTHING wrong with it!! I would change the borders like someone already said but then I would finish it and USE it!!! It is very nice!!