Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
when do you decide to destash fabrics? >

when do you decide to destash fabrics?

when do you decide to destash fabrics?

Old 10-17-2010, 09:19 PM

If there is a 12 step program for fabricaholics, I would have to be a charter member. I have fabric my mother gave me 30 years ago which I will probably never use but can't get rid of because she bought it for me! (I still miss you, Mama!) I made a vow recently to only shop from my stash and then someone on this board posted a link to the Cotton Loft and the incredible sale and I now have 9 yards of fabric on the way! I had to buy a 10 x 10 shed to hold my overflow fabric that won't fit into my sewing room. I must be nuts!
Old 10-17-2010, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
Destash? I've got to do that, my front spare bedroom is where my sister is going to stay for a while, and it's full, full, full of fabric on cardboard and boxes of fabric and bags of fabric and piles of fabric on shelves and in behind cabinet doors with windows.

I've given some to a church that does quilting (given reluctantly, not in real Christian giving mode, but necessary, sigh) and have lots of other stuff to ..sob, get rid of. And sister doesn't quilt or even sew on buttons, grumble and gripe. A couple of nieces are very enthusiastic about getting some...sigh. But still lots of it in my wall to wall floor to ceiling book case, more fabric than books.
Get or make a duvet. Put all your loose fabric in it, and tell your sis it's the latest new kind of bed, and she's very lucky to be able to sleep on yours.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:27 PM

My stash doesn't even fill the wardrobe yet.

There will be no de-stashing here!
Old 10-17-2010, 10:34 PM

I need to destash but when i try i say.." oh maybe I will use that someday....lol
Old 10-17-2010, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
IMHO it's time to destash when looking at the stuff makes you feel depressed instead of happy.

Applies to any stuff, actually. Not only fabric!
That was the turning point for me. I would go in my sewing room and frown, then turn around and leave. Then I started my give-a-ways. It has felt wonderful. I sent some to Bevanger, some to a few others, made lots of giveaway quilts. I feel much better now. When I look at my stash I want to feel happy. I do now.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:33 PM

I rotate the stash. I have a bin near me to sew a few with every block I make . every few weeks I
Old 10-17-2010, 11:36 PM

Sorry ,not awake yet. I was saying that I change out the box,putting it out of sight. Also it gives me a good mix of scrappy blocks.
Off to have more coffee before I type any more,Christina
Old 10-18-2010, 12:54 AM

It's usually when I find a good "cause". I've been de-stashing for the past few weeks because I've been helping make Christmas stockings for the troops. I've gotten to use up a lot of Christmas fabric, denim, home decor, thin wale corduroy and other assorted fabrics. Hundreds of yards later I'm beginning to see a difference in my stash.

Xenodeno---you might want to hang onto that older fabric for at least a few years. Tastes change.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:55 AM

I decided when my fabrics overran my closet, by a lot, that it was time. Not only that, but I really wanted to buy some new, but couldn't justify it even to myself any longer, as I was out of space. So I 'destashed' by using my fabrics. It took about 1 1/2 years! I bought nothing new except what was needed for a particular fabric - but tried hard to buy nothing.

Now my stash is much more manageable. I can once again buy some new fabrics (which I'm always drawn to), and not feel the least bit bad about it. However, I'm not buying like I once did, and won't ever again. I now purchase more in line with the projects I'm making, so the majority of the fabric purchased now is used. This is working very well for me ;) The plus side is my room is cleaner too! And I still have plenty of stash for fill-ins, backings, etc.

Debbie in Austin
Old 10-18-2010, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by MissKay
Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
Originally Posted by kriscraft99
is it because you want more or because you are tired of them?
DE-STASH ?!?!?! Whats that ?!?!?!?

Nope, nope nope... cant do it.. Ill die by fabric avalanche first!!!!
Took the words right out of my mouth!!!
mine too. that is a DIRTY word here.