Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When was the first time you bought >

When was the first time you bought

When was the first time you bought

Old 12-19-2011, 07:04 AM

I bought fabric in the 50's but only when I had a project for it...In the 70's I started buying with a a quilt not really in the
picture but took a college course in quilting and I got really hooked but then I went to work and only made a quilt as I
had the time. Then it started. Then it came in the 80's I really got into quilting and fabric started piling up---just because I liked it. Now I am in my 70's and will never use all that wonderful fabric. My daughter can't believe how much fabric I have. Had to put it all in bins as I will have work done in the basement. My one daughter said "I told you so" so we are
probably going to have a garage, fabric sale in the spring. I think I could almost open a store with all that fabric.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:33 AM

I have always had a stash! As a child, my grandmother had an old pillowcase full of scraps for me to use in my doll clothes sewing. I purchase fabric everywhere...LQS, church sales, thrift stores, garage sales, Joann's, Hobby Lobby...if there is fabric I am shopping and buying!
Old 12-19-2011, 07:59 AM

It was just over 30 years ago when I first took a quilting class and made my first (king sized) quilt. I still use templates and a pencil to draw out pieces and then cut with scissors; it was the way I was taught and feel most comfortable with. I also feel that I save time in the long run because my quilt pieces always are spot on and match up beautifully making my finished quilt the perfect square or rectangle.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:59 AM

16 years ago I bought an Amish-made quilt and decided to try to make the block myself ( disaster!) I bought the fabric from a store that no longer exists here in Turkey, and many other fabric retailers have also ceased to exist. As a result, many years later I opened the first quilt shop in my city to fill this need. I still LOVE good fabric!