Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • When I die? >
  • When I die?

• When I die?

Old 02-17-2011, 01:09 PM
    Power Poster

Ok I showed DH this thread. He told me nobody better touch it. I think he will keep my studio as a shrine. LOL He knows I will be there even after I am gone.
    Old 02-17-2011, 01:18 PM

Kiddos know to take it to Quilt Guild for charity quilts. No one else in family is the least interested in fabric and UFOs.
    Old 02-17-2011, 01:29 PM
    Power Poster

The joke in the family is that someone will call 1-800-GOT-JUNK the minute I take my last breath. In truth, I will make provisions for where all of it is to go. No one in the family quilts, so unless I live long enough and the granddaughter takes up quilting, strangers will end up with it all.
    Old 02-17-2011, 01:32 PM

It really is in my trust documents. I have named someone to be in charge of this and guide my grown kids. It is OK to sell whatever, but my kids would need guidance so they don't just give things away haphazardly.

I am so OCD/anal retentive [not really] that I even have a file on my computer titled "In the Event of..." that lists who to contact, where other items are, things I have done in my life [that they are either unaware of are just plain forgot.], and what I want done when I am dead. My kids thought that was a hoot. They don't live near me so they don't really know what I think they should know. This is a difficult subject to talk about with them as they don't want to think of my death.

Let's face it. I will die sometime and go to that great quilting retreat.

ali
    Old 02-17-2011, 01:40 PM
    Jim

As I am going to be creamted it would be such a waste to take it with me....I am inmy MILs will to get ALL her farbic and supplies and my wife knows how we both love our stash and supplies..If she isnt alive Im sure my DD and DIL will gladly scour over it and whats left...I want donated to someone who makes charity quilts
    Old 02-17-2011, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by lilithcat
    The Quilter's Last Will And Testament*

I,___________________________,being of sound mind (a statement which does not bear close examination) do hereby record my last will and testament.

Knowing that __________________________________, my _________________ (husband, sister, or friend) hasn’t the least understanding or appreciation for, or for that matter, knowledge of my extensive fabric collection, which collection is suitably deposited in sundry places for safekeeping.

Knowing also that ___________________________ has already notified the local dumpster to pick up and dispose of the before mentioned collection "willy-nilly" (the thought of which causes me a most severe case of hives).

Therefore, I do will this collection and all other collections related to it, to my dear friend and fellow fabric preservationist, _________________________.

It is my wish that she/he, upon hearing of my death and obtaining clear proof that I did not manage, although goodness knows I tried, to take it with me, would come to my home post haste, before the dumpster, and search out my collection which is similarly stored at her own abode.

That she should rescue said collection and stack it in my quilting studio, along with my sewing machines, frames, old buttons, lace, patterns, quilts, dolls and works in progress.

After she/he has done this, she/he should purchase refreshments for my friends not yet departed, which friends are also her/his friends, and every last one shall be in that room and they shall hold a wake and say lovely and kind things about me until they run out and then they shall divide amongst themselves, by lot, my wonderful collection.

I shall be hovering over that very spot until this is done. _______________________ shall then quit this spot and close the door, leaving trivialities to those who do not understand. This is my wish on the matter.

Signed: ____________________ Date: ___________

Notarized: __________________ Date: ___________

*This is not a legal document

Written By Elinor Peace Baily,
    Published in "The Cloth Doll"
    Spring/Summer 1990
    Thank you! Elinor lives here in my town. She is hilarious
    Old 02-17-2011, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    Ok I showed DH this thread. He told me nobody better touch it. I think he will keep my studio as a shrine. LOL He knows I will be there even after I am gone.
    One of my quilting friends did die, and her husband did not tough that room for many years. He just couldn't bare the thought of doing anything with the things Marvalee loved so much. He finally did, but many, many years after she passed on.
    Old 02-17-2011, 05:46 PM

Family already knows which charity gets it all!
    (and charity may sell and retain income from anything in my sewing room that they cannot use for their own needs!)
    Old 02-17-2011, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Lilrain
    Does anyone else wonder or worry about what will happen to their precious stash when they die?
    I really haven't thought about it,really haven't wanted to think about it. My daughter already loves everything about quilting so it'll get passed down to her.
    Old 02-17-2011, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by maryb119
    It goes to my oldest daughter. She is a quilter, too. Whe we go to shows or just fabric shopping, she is right there with an opinion about what I buy. She says since she is going to get it all in the end, she may as well help pick it out! Hahaha!
    Hey, half my stash came to me from my mom. She and I did lots of shopping together. She had a big jump on me, but she was a smart cookie and saved stuff she didn't want.....in the hopes, I guess. Anyway, I've inherited every bit of it since none of my sisters want it. Turns out there's a piece of a quilt top from my grandmother that I am itching to finish.

I'm putting some things aside for a great-niece who wants to learn to sew. She can have the machine and some of the other stuff. I don't need it and for an 11 year old, she's got lots of spirit. I'll keep the vintage lace and buttons and some of the fabric backings.