Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When is a longarm a home sewing machine? >

When is a longarm a home sewing machine?

When is a longarm a home sewing machine?

Old 04-15-2015, 05:40 AM
Power Poster

What I think needs a category most is separating the computerized LAQ from the hand skilled LAQ. That is NOT fair to people who use their skills to be up against a computer. We all know how Watson, IBM computer did in Jeopardy against champion Ken Jennings. Sorry if I am OFF topic.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:27 AM

A $7000 twenty inch harp is a longarm machine, table mounted or not. Here is their website with that info: http://www.apqs.com/machines/george/

Would I love to have something like that? Sure, but I have neither the space nor the budget for it. Perhaps I am just a poor relative; do many of you spend that for a home machine?
Old 04-15-2015, 07:44 AM

I think quilting on a DSM is heroic (because of the throat space) and should be a separate category. I think quilting on a sit down mid arm machine (like the HQ Sweet 16), should be separated from quilting with a stand-up long arm, because of the difference of moving quilt vs. moving machine. Computer-programmed long arm quilting should be separate again. I don't quite understand the concept of the DSMs on frames. Are you moving the machine, or the quilt? I'm not sure about the idea of stand-up long arm quilting done by a professional being separate from stand-up long arm quilting done by a non-professional. It seems being professional is simply the choice of whether one wants to quilt for others for pay; it doesn't necessarily equate to a higher standard of quilting.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:57 AM

That is kind of odd I haven't heard of a long arm being a home machine either. I would thank that a domestic machine is one that sits on a table or in a sewing cabinet.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by k9dancer View Post
A $7000 twenty inch harp is a longarm machine, table mounted or not. Here is their website with that info: http://www.apqs.com/machines/george/

Would I love to have something like that? Sure, but I have neither the space nor the budget for it. Perhaps I am just a poor relative; do many of you spend that for a home machine?
I was lucky to find a barely used HQ Sweet Sixteen a few years ago that was about the price of a high end domestic. Close to half of that....

I think the categories should involve how the quilt is made --> fabric moving, machine moving -- both of those by a human and machine moving by computer.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:20 PM

I own a Gammill long arm system: it is NOT a "home system" in any respect except for the fact that it IS in my home. I am a professional long armer and do many quilts for others. It is not computerized but it is several cuts above my other 17 DSM's....I agree too that there should be a separation and better description of the type of machine used/quilting done on show entries. A computerized longarm should be considered in its own category, as should a DSM and a non-computerized LA. All three take different skill sets and all three should be recognized.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:31 PM

It would be interesting to see the category description. I agree with momto5 that there should be different machine quilting categories based on machine type: LA, Computerized LA, and DSM.

There are many well known quilters that use a DSM for all their quilting. I took a class from Diane Gaudynski and it was with a DSM. Leah Day and Angela Walters also use DSMs.

Many of the LA makers are making sit-down versions, but they are still Long Arms, while some of the DSM makers, like Bernina, are now making a "traditional" Long Arm, rather than just a DSM on a frame.

I personally have an Innova that I do my quilting on (personal and charity only) and a couple of DSMs (a Janome 8900 and a FW) for piecing. I orginially started with a Viking Designer 1 that I tried to home quilt on, but that was too much trouble for me. I was glad when the LQS started offering LA classes and rental time.

Last edited by caspharm; 04-15-2015 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:46 PM

You have to look at the entire category description, and sometimes an accompanying "general rules" where further descriptions are given, not just the category name. Generally speaking ... quilting on a domestic machine refers to the fact that the fabric is in motion as opposed to the machine (frame mounted). Category descriptions (at least the better ones) generally do not distinguish between the size of the machine, only the method (machine moving on a frame mount, or fabric moved under a stationary machine). In that respect, yes, the George would qualify in the "domestic" category because the machine is stationary.

Here are the definitions for the "Long Arm" and "Home Machine" are defined for American Quilting Society DesMoines quilt show.

• Home Sewing Machine includes use of any sewing machine that is table-mounted/stationary, allowing the quilter to move the fabric rather than the machine.
  • Longarm Quilting Machine includes any machine mounted on a frame, allowing the quilter to move the machine head rather than the fabric.
Quilting on a 20" George or a 16" Sweet Sixteen - both stationary machines - is NO different than quilting on a standard domestic machine except with more harp area it's easier to move the fabric.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:54 PM
Power Poster

If it's in a table, it can't move around to quilt like a long arm. Regardless of how big the harp space might be, she would have had to FMQ the same as anyone with a home sewing machine. So I can see how they would classify it that way.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:29 PM

Thanks for finding the research DogHouseMom......that was my thought but to have it in writing from a group like AQS makes it easier to understand.

I can tell you that there is a huge difference (in many different ways) between moving the machine vs moving the fabric regardless of how big the harp is. I just finished a kingsized quilt on my HQsitdown and it felt like I was quilting a smaller quilt on my DSM! I've done both and pretty much it's the same movement and skill.