Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When making mistakes when do you stop? >

When making mistakes when do you stop?

When making mistakes when do you stop?

Old 10-27-2019, 11:45 AM

Twice. Once is annoying but I can usually laugh about it or muster the patience to fix it without a bad attitude. Second time on the same issue, I start muttering things that shouldn’t be muttered, but I fix it. Third time ? I might walk away or pound a fist on my sewing desk that threaten my project with scissors or the trash can, and then walk off.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:54 AM

Usually twice for me too!

But ... I like (?) to unpick the mistake, press the fabric if it needs it then leave the pieces ready for the next day or whenever.

I hate starting a sewing session unpicking a previous day’s error.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:32 PM

When I am aware things aren't going well. Sometimes that takes awhile... but I've found that things never just start going better for me without a break. It sucks when you are on a real deadline but with the way I try to structure my quilting I have very few of those.

Yesterday or the day before, I sat down to put on some simple WoF borders onto a panel. After the fourth time I had issues with the threading with the first 18" of the first seam and just as I was starting to get a tad excited, I told myself the same thing I tell other quilters. When you can't figure out why something is happening and you are sure you are threaded correctly, change the needle. So I changed the needle which had worked perfectly fine the day before, and suddenly Bernie (the sewing machine) was just happily sewing along.

When in doubt, rethread first. Change your needle second. And if that doesn't help, take a bubble bath, get a drink to re-hydrate or caffeinate yourself, walk around the block, or just pour yourself a stiff shot if that works for you. And there is always chocolate!

Studies have shown that about 20 minutes of break is key for a number of reasons. Some times though keep in mind that is the minimum and things will indeed be better tomorrow. That what I like about a bath, by the time I take off my clothes, let the bath fill up, play in the bubbles, and then let the bath water out again, and then get dressed again it's a good 20-30 minutes. I was first given this hint for dieting btw, it also allows you to get in touch with your physical body because many of us have a self/body disconnect.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:37 PM
Power Poster

Ugh. no fun. I always make mistakes. My name on here isn't Stitchnripper for nothing!! Some days I am okay with keep trying and some days I put it aside for a while.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

I quit for the day if I make two big mistakes. Ripping out small mistakes isn't bad.
Old 10-28-2019, 02:31 AM

I stop and take a break after 2 mistakes in a row. Mistakes happen for me when I am too tired or in a hurry to be done with a project. How long do I rest after mistakes start happening, you ask...usually about an hour or if time allows a day...depending on how big a mistake I've made.
Old 10-28-2019, 02:49 AM

This is how I create UFOs. If I see a mistake that I know I cannot live with, I put it in a tub and make a UFO out of it. It would help if I'd write myself a note and put down what I did wrong, if I know. That way I have a starting point for when I discover this object.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:03 AM

Take a break and do something else for a day or so. You'll regain your "strength" and see the project differently.

With Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt last year, I made 100 units the wrong size. Ugh! I went back and made 100 more of the correct size and I'm glad I did. The quilt would not have gone together at all without doing so. I used the wrongly sized ones in another quilt I designed, and I like that quilt, too.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:15 AM

When I start making mistakes I shut down for the day. Sometimes I even wait for the next day to fix it. Living alone I sometimes sew all day with just a few breaks. I forget this is not a job and I am retired! Lol
Old 10-28-2019, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

I like to fix mistakes right away, so I don’t have to think about them anymore. I can move on.