Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When is it not a quilt? >

When is it not a quilt?

When is it not a quilt?

Old 03-04-2011, 05:40 AM

I totally agree
Old 03-04-2011, 06:37 AM

I* agree These are quilted but not a quilt. They are Pot Pinchers to protect y our hands from hot pans and steam.
!

Originally Posted by missmabeliowa
I am fairly new at quilting, but as far as I'm concerned, a quilt is what covers a bed or a person, no matter the size.
What irritates me are wall hangings.
If it is a wall hanging, it should be categorized as a wall hanging.
If it is quilted, it is a quilted wall hanging.
This idea of finding a pattern you really like and then find it is a wall hanging and only gives size and directions for a wall hanging is completely absurd to me.
Yes, some are quite beautiful, but they are still not quilts, they are wall hangings.
There, I finally got that out of my system. I hope somebody agrees with me.
Quilted Pot Pinchers, Not a quilt.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]163270[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-163265.jpe  
Old 03-04-2011, 06:41 AM

You are so funny! Hold that pose until the cows come home. LOL

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
What would call a top and backing with no batting that is quilted together?
Old 03-04-2011, 06:48 AM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

Originally Posted by dunster
Cathedral Windows quilts
has more fabric or at least equal fabric with two sides! the folding of the fabric, hand done as originally intended, vs machine I be to differ.

very labor intensive.

ouch
Old 03-04-2011, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by missmabeliowa
I am fairly new at quilting, but as far as I'm concerned, a quilt is what covers a bed or a person, no matter the size.
What irritates me are wall hangings.
If it is a wall hanging, it should be categorized as a wall hanging.
If it is quilted, it is a quilted wall hanging.
This idea of finding a pattern you really like and then find it is a wall hanging and only gives size and directions for a wall hanging is completely absurd to me.
Yes, some are quite beautiful, but they are still not quilts, they are wall hangings.
There, I finally got that out of my system. I hope somebody agrees with me.
I must say that I agree with you, esp. over the very small wall hangings. I've seen some quite small "quilts" on ebay that when I looked at them were only about 15"x 20" o something equally tiny. I was thinking they were so pretty as she titled them "quilts". I wish they would call them "miniature quilts" or "quilted wall hangings".

But I'm not the quilt police. I do think of a quilt at minimum as baby crib size/lap quilt size or bigger. Smaller than that, and it is simply my opinion (I've not had the time to read all of the opinions here) as to what they are...

Some people here call the the smaller quilted items "table toppers", "table runners" etc and not just "quilts" that happen to be long and skinny, or oblong and small. I think it is esp. helpful if they would describe the item relative to what it is and reserve the word "quilt" for something big enough to use as a lap warmer, crib blanket :) or of course, a twin, full, queen or king size bed.

I find it a bit deceptive (to me) to call something really small a quilt. It is a quilted item. But that's probably just me.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:04 PM

I think the only time this topic should even be breached is in a juried show. Like items should be grouped together. To me, this is no different than handquilting vs. machine quilting. I think it is all lovely but should not be put together in the same categories for judging purposes. The bottom line is that we all do this "quilting thing" to express our inner creativity. EVERYTHING is OKAY!!!!! Can't we all just get along??? :-)
Old 03-05-2011, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by pamsmpk
I think the only time this topic should even be breached is in a juried show. Like items should be grouped together. To me, this is no different than handquilting vs. machine quilting. I think it is all lovely but should not be put together in the same categories for judging purposes. The bottom line is that we all do this "quilting thing" to express our inner creativity. EVERYTHING is OKAY!!!!! Can't we all just get along??? :-)
Good reply