Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: When is it not a quilt?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RST
    My most strenuous objection is when someone calls a crocheted afghan a "quilt" - a total confusion of terms.

Ugggh. HAte that. The PBS ad where the carpenter dudes, Norm I think, and some of the THis Old House cast, talk about watching the quilt shows, and hold up a crocheted afghan -- never fails to set my teeth on edge. That would be like Nancy and Pokey holding up the "woodwork" they've crafted out of sheet metal -- totally wrong genre.

The origins of quilting are interesting to try to figure out. My grandmother, who was born in China, always claimed that the traditional Chinese layered clothing was the true origins. While my parents, who lived in Kenya for a long time, point to the pieced fabric works of some of the tribes as a possible source for patchwork origins. I say it rose independently from multiple sources, with varied approaches and aesthetics.

RST
    So fascinating!

I cringe when someone calls one of my afghans a blanket. I've gotten used to it - but still cringe.

Wonder who made the people who say it's not a quilt, the quilt police???

Blog Entries
    i totally agree and i LOVE CARYL'S WORK! she has absolutely BEAUTIFUL QUILTS in her galleries!
    for someone to say it's not a quilt is pretty ignorant....
    there are many, many different styles of quilts...just because one is not (your style) does not make it less a quilt. :thumbup:

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose_P
    A lot of non-quilters confuse patchwork with quilting, but at least they get that it's sewn cloth of some sort, and that's a bit better than calling a quilt a "blanket". Another issue I have on the subject is that quite a few people seem to think quilting was invented in America, and that needs to be corrected because they were around long before the discovery of the New World. The Wikipedia article on "Quilt" includes some information on the history with documentation and pictures. I learned from a dictionary that the word "quilt" comes from the Latin word for mattress. I imagine that people first started tying or sewing layers of cloth together so that they could sleep on them without having them rumple up into an uncomfortable mess. Like a whole lot of technology, it has evolved over many generations and hundreds of years. Words are defined by the way they are most clearly understood. My most strenuous objection is when someone calls a crocheted afghan a "quilt" - a total confusion of terms.
    Thank you. As an English woman, this common assumption does rather annoy me - especially when someone says to me 'oh do you quilt in England/Europe as well?' :-D I have seen a quilt in the Victoria and Albert Museum in London (I used to work for them in PR) that was made in the 14th century in Europe - way before Columbus even DISCOVERED America. :mrgreen:

once again the semantics have over-ridden the usage of words. unfortunately the word quilt can be a noun or a verb. you can make a quilt and you can quilt an item. ultimately, what does it matter what you call the item? i say po ta to, you say po tah to. we just need to enjoy the body of work. piece to you all.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
    What would call a top and backing with no batting that is quilted together?
    My Mom referred to it as "a summer quilt"

Power Poster
    I think specific/accurate terminology is useful.

It also helps prevent misunderstandings - when everyone agrees on the definitions, that is! :?

There are many fields where specific terminology is helpful - medicine, biology, mathematics, anatomy, accounting - etc.

any quilt that covewrs the bed and has a design and is either machine or hand quilted is aquilt

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I think specific/accurate terminology is useful.

It also helps prevent misunderstandings - when everyone agrees on the definitions, that is! :?

There are many fields where specific terminology is helpful - medicine, biology, mathematics, anatomy, accounting - etc.
    Absolutely! There has to be a 'standard' so we can hold a sensible discussion - in any subject! :-D

hahahahahahhahahahahahhahahah

[quote=lydia coffman]hahahahahahhahahahahahhahahah

forgot to quote reply first...this was to that rasberry! I'm with ya.

I beg your pardon.
    Webster's 2009 edition of the dictionary defines "quilt", a noun, as a thick, warm bedcover; a bedspead; a coverlet of two cloths sewn together with padding between".
    A quilt on display is a far cry from some itty bitty thing quilted in construction serving as a wall hanging for decorative purposes only.

[I wouldn't argue with another quilter about whether her item is a quilt or not. What purpose would that serve?[/quote]

I agree completely with this. That would just be hurtful.

RST
    Blog Entries
    A more complete dictionary would include quilt as a verb -- the action of stitching together 3 layers of fibers or fabrics in a utilitarian and / or decorative manner.

I do think there is value in making a distinction between patchwork and quilted works -- just for clarity of understanding, not as a value judgment on the works themselves.

I personally do not care a whole lot about drawing lines between utilitarian and decorative function -- there are a lot of fine lines not worth quibbling over there.

I do think that the skills and commitment that go into making a full sized quilt that can be used for years on a bed -- that is a different level from the efforts that go into making a pleasing place mat or mug rug, or even "stroller quilt" which you see a lot of people cranking out. They're lovely and fun, and worthy of praise, but they are not the same achievement as a full sized quilt. It's like the difference between a jaunty little limerick and a finely crafted sonnet or epic poem.

Someone told me once after I told them I was learning to machine quilt that she did "real" quilting by hand. I choose not to get in a discussion about what's real, what's a quilt ... I just say "well, good for you" and drop it! Those pesky quilt police ... they come in all forms.

Quote Originally Posted by missmabeliowa
    I beg your pardon.
    Webster's 2009 edition of the dictionary defines "quilt", a noun, as a thick, warm bedcover; a bedspead; a coverlet of two cloths sewn together with padding between".
    A quilt on display is a far cry from some itty bitty thing quilted in construction serving as a wall hanging for decorative purposes only.
    Why don't you go tell Hollis these aren't quilts.

http://hollisart.com/gallery_figurative.php

Blog Entries
    I beg your pardon.
    Ummm...so I looked up the Merriam Webster definition and #2 says:
    something that is quilted or resembles a quilt
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/quilt

Blog Entries
    Unless they are in a show or being judged somewhere, I simply don't worry about it. I have too many other things to be concerned with.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    Unless they are in a show or being judged somewhere, I simply don't worry about it. I have too many other things to be concerned with.
    Amen!

Blog Entries
    I don't know what they are but these thangs we are making sure are pretty. Guess I will just keep making them and call them whatever I choose. Sometimes some of them cause me to call them junk, stupid, impossible or lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    A quilt is technically a top, batting and a backing, joined together by sewing or tying. Simple.

An art quilt is just that...an art quilt or a wall hanging, or whatever. But it is still a quilt.

People can argue all they want, but a quilt is a quilt is a quilt. :!:
    Oh, oh! So, if this definition is "it" for what a "real" quilt is, then the first one I ever made is not a real quilt because it is a Donna Poster "foldy stuff" bed covering. It is done on a foundation and was so heavy when done for a double bed that no batting was used, just flannel backing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabaddict
    am thinking those that say it is not quilting or a quilt are self appointed quilt police. To them I spread raspberries all over. PFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTT
    I agree!!!!

Massachusetts / Vermont === Now in ==Green River Utah = Owner of GreenRiverKOA Campground
    Everyone can look up the meaning of Quilt on Google , it defines what a Quilt is and what is Quilting , I just did and was surprised at what I read, its crazy to dispute anything before you know
    I myself love the art of sewing in any style, and very much enjoy
    everyones work here no matter what they make , so please look it up and see the definition of Quilt.. sorry had to look it up myself and had to reply to this thread.. love everyone here and their work..

Massachusetts / Vermont === Now in ==Green River Utah = Owner of GreenRiverKOA Campground
    Ohh just to let you all know I have been quilting from age 8 yrs , my grandmother had shown me then in hand quilting, I just learned to quilt by machine, and love it , its faster lol, but still quilt some by hand , I love that too , its not as fast though

Blog Entries
    I am fairly new at quilting, but as far as I'm concerned, a quilt is what covers a bed or a person, no matter the size.
    What irritates me are wall hangings.
    If it is a wall hanging, it should be categorized as a wall hanging.
    If it is quilted, it is a quilted wall hanging.
    This idea of finding a pattern you really like and then find it is a wall hanging and only gives size and directions for a wall hanging is completely absurd to me.
    Yes, some are quite beautiful, but they are still not quilts, they are wall hangings.
    There, I finally got that out of my system. I hope somebody agrees with me.
    So totally agree!! Many times I've found patterns I'd love to make only to find out they are wall hangings with no "how to" make them into bed quilts. Won't buy them or give them a second look any longer! Thank you for finally putting my sentiments into words! LOL! (Since I thought I was the ONLY one who felt this way, I was reluctant to speak out!)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast