Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: When is it not a quilt?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dunster
    I define a quilt as a type of blanket with two layers of fabric stitched together with some kind of batting in between. (Of course a whole cloth quilt is a quilt!) I give credit to "quilts" that are not quilted, but tied, and to those that don't have batting (such as Cathedral Windows quilts, summer quilts, yo-yo quilts, etc.) A bag or garment that is quilted is not a quilt, but it is a quilted item.

I actually think that definitions are important for clear communication, but I wouldn't argue with another quilter about whether her item is a quilt or not. What purpose would that serve?
    Very well said. A quilt is two layers with batting in the center and iether quilted or tied and therefor a quilt.

Blog Entries
    "and I know she hand quilts because she is a twirp" - Glenda M. Oh Lordy - I wound up on the floor after reading that!!! WTG - Glenda

Things have changed in the quilting world! I believe that art quilts are QUILTS if they are sandwiched and quilted in someway. I don't care if it's a purse, a wall hanging, or something you put on your bed. If I take one of my QUILTS that is bed sized and use it on my table does that mean it's not a quilt until I put it on a bed? I think not. Even quilters must change and grow.

Still confused about Cathedral Window quilts and yoyo quilts. Neither has batting but I and many others consider them quilts. Are they? or should we care?

Blog Entries
    I quilt quilts, some are queen size, some fit a regular size bed, some single size beds, some are lap quilts for people in wheel chairs, some are just a good size to cuddle up in on the couch. I also quilt wall hanging sizes, and table toppers and some table runners. I totally admire those ladies who can make miniature quilts.I also admire those ladies who make landscape quilts. I could never achieve that but I sure wouldn't tell them the weren't quilts. I think our grandmothers would say it was just plain silly to even be discussing this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
    What would call a top and backing with no batting that is quilted together?
    I made a wool top and backed it with flannel. I call it a quilt. If I had put batting in it I would have had to send it to Alaska. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Fabaddict
    am thinking those that say it is not quilting or a quilt are self appointed quilt police. To them I spread raspberries all over. PFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTT
    My sentiment exactly! :mrgreen:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glassnquilts
    Still confused about Cathedral Window quilts and yoyo quilts. Neither has batting but I and many others consider them quilts. Are they? or should we care?
    If you make either, (I've made a Cathedral Window) I'll call it what every you want me to. They are a lot of work and deserve the respect it took to make them.

this is an arguement that will never be won... everyone has their own definition of what they consider a quilt and what is not...... so let it go..... they will still think that no matter how many times someone says something different so why worry with this..... you know how much time & effort you put in to each piece that you make so you decide.. there really are NO QUILT POLICE out there just ones who think they are...... I have my opions but they are mine...

Blog Entries
    We do not need quilting police.

RE a quilt without batting. In the South these were called summer quilts. They purposely did not have batting and before the days of air conditioning, I am sure these quilts were washed frequently.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cuppi duke
    I went to a guild meeting and someone was showing their quilts (whole cloth) that they made and were so proud of. One member kept insisting they weren't real quilts. It caused such an uproar I never went back.
    Okay, then if that wasn't a quilt, then try convincing me and borntoquilt that a whole cloth quilt ISN'T a quilt!!! :evil: Hogwash!!!!! :thumbdown:

Quote Originally Posted by dunster
    I define a quilt as a type of blanket with two layers of fabric stitched together with some kind of batting in between. (Of course a whole cloth quilt is a quilt!) I give credit to "quilts" that are not quilted, but tied, and to those that don't have batting (such as Cathedral Windows quilts, summer quilts, yo-yo quilts, etc.) A bag or garment that is quilted is not a quilt, but it is a quilted item.

I actually think that definitions are important for clear communication, but I wouldn't argue with another quilter about whether her item is a quilt or not. What purpose would that serve?
    I agree and who are we to judge?

Blog Entries
    My computer's "Dictionary" is the New Oxford American Dictionary and it says:

quilt |kwilt|
    noun
    a warm bed covering made of padding enclosed between layers of fabric and kept in place by lines of stitching, typically applied in a decorative design.
    • a knitted or fabric bedspread with decorative stitching.
    • a layer of padding used for insulation.
    verb [ trans. ]
    join together (layers of fabric or padding) with lines of stitching to form a bed covering or a warm garment, or for decorative effect.
    DERIVATIVES
    quilter noun
    ORIGIN Middle English : from Old French cuilte, from Latin culcita ‘mattress, cushion.’
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    I like the technical def. of Lori S. too!

I agree with all of the above!

I hang full size quilts on the wall, they are quilts, not wall hangings.

but why are we even bickering over this?

Let the creator call it what they want and hold our tongues. It is not for us to say or judge, lest it be done to us.

Quilt police for sure. not fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabaddict
    am thinking those that say it is not quilting or a quilt are self appointed quilt police. To them I spread raspberries all over. PFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTT
    I absolutely agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    I subscribe to the techincal definition, because it just makes it easier. Quilting is the actual threadwork that combines/joins the layers together. Piecing or piecework is the combining of fabrics or other materials to create an image or design.
    So to this ....its not a quilt until layers have been joined/combined with thread.
    Its final function is of no consequence.
    Ditto. But having said that...in the vernacular once one has pieced a top one is a 'quilter' whether one quilts it or not ;-)

Blog Entries
    I would call it your art!

Blog Entries
    I don't think we are bickering...just voicing our opinions. At least I certainly meant no offense with my comments. And I guess I'm pretty dense, because I cannot make a small wall hanging into a quilt and make it look as though it was meant to be a large quilt. Sorry.

Blog Entries
    In the old days such bed coverings were called 'summer quilts.'

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    I would call it a coverlet. It has to have 3 layers to be technically a quilt. This has been the standard for all quilt shows that I know of...it has to have 3 layers and joined by stitching or tying. Period.
    Historically, crazy quilts do not contain batting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carslo
    The first time I went to a guild meeting I took a "show and tell" I had mostly tied my quilts and took one that was tied. I was told that it was a comforter not a quilt. I was slightly hurt. It had been machine pieced, machine sewn, backing, batting and top, and then I tied it - I always thought that it was a quilt :)
    Janet
    It is a tied quilt; it is still a quilt.

Blog Entries
    Really, what difference does it make? If someone makes something and wants to call it a quilt, so be it. If the fabric has been painted and thread painted why isn't it a quilt? It has fabric, thread, batting, backing, and binding.

Just because someone does something other than "traditional," quilting, it does not take it out of the definition of a quilt. That is why art is so wonderful; everyone sees it differently through their own eyes.

Thank you. GiGi

Blog Entries
    Only because historically, traditional batting wasn't available. Paper, sacks, old clothes, etc. were used as "batting."

Thank you.

GiGi

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast