Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: When is it not a quilt?

Quote Originally Posted by Randa
    I don't think we are bickering...just voicing our opinions. At least I certainly meant no offense with my comments. And I guess I'm pretty dense, because I cannot make a small wall hanging into a quilt and make it look as though it was meant to be a large quilt. Sorry.
    Size has absolutely no bearing on whether it's a quilt or not. Neither does usage. I have a quilt that's about 6 inches by 8 inches and it's on a bed. It's three layers and quilted.

doll bed quilt
    Name:  Attachment-157749.jpe
Views: 15
Size:  51.0 KB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by k9dancer
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    Quote Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
    What would call a top and backing with no batting that is quilted together?
    I would call it a coverlet. It has to have 3 layers to be technically a quilt. This has been the standard for all quilt shows that I know of...it has to have 3 layers and joined by stitching or tying. Period.
    Historically, crazy quilts do not contain batting.
    But they did have three layers, base, front, and backing= quilt.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I've been quilting for over 25 years and have made many "quilts". I pieced the top together then took it to a long-armer to finish it and I consider it "my quilt that I made". I just now have q long-arm quilting table and will start quilting my own quilts, but I still feel all my past quilts were done by me.

Quote Originally Posted by GiGi
    Really, what difference does it make? If someone makes something and wants to call it a quilt, so be it. If the fabric has been painted and thread painted why isn't it a quilt? It has fabric, thread, batting, backing, and binding.

Just because someone does something other than "traditional," quilting, it does not take it out of the definition of a quilt. That is why art is so wonderful; everyone sees it differently through their own eyes.

Thank you. GiGi
    Well said!

Blog Entries
    Why don't you go tell Hollis these aren't quilts.

http://hollisart.com/gallery_figurative.php[/quote]

Even on the website Hollis is referred to as a textile artist. Those are incredibly beautiful works of art done in fabric. Just because you use fabric and thread doesn't make it a quilt. Gee, let's just enjoy the beauty of everyone's work without quibbling over what to call it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonbonary
    Why don't you go tell Hollis these aren't quilts.

http://hollisart.com/gallery_figurative.php
    Even on the website Hollis is referred to as a textile artist. Those are incredibly beautiful works of art done in fabric. Just because you use fabric and thread doesn't make it a quilt. Gee, let's just enjoy the beauty of everyone's work without quibbling over what to call it.[/quote]

If you read the descriptions she says they're quilted. I've seen three of them in person and they're nothing short of stunning. And they're quilts. And they're art.

Blog Entries
    I'd like to thank everyone for their comments and opinions! You are all a terrific group!!!

I just enjoy seeing it all!!! Whatever it's called!

Power Poster
    Oh my what a dilemma.

Quote Originally Posted by missmabeliowa
    I am fairly new at quilting, but as far as I'm concerned, a quilt is what covers a bed or a person, no matter the size.
    What irritates me are wall hangings.
    If it is a wall hanging, it should be categorized as a wall hanging.
    If it is quilted, it is a quilted wall hanging.
    This idea of finding a pattern you really like and then find it is a wall hanging and only gives size and directions for a wall hanging is completely absurd to me.
    Yes, some are quite beautiful, but they are still not quilts, they are wall hangings.
    There, I finally got that out of my system. I hope somebody agrees with me.
    Hi Mabel -- I am an exclusive wall hanging maker. I have entered my hanging in 5 Quilt Shows in my area and have won 2 times. They are not put in any catagory other than "quilts". What must those judges be thinking of??
    ;-)
    Nan

Blog Entries
    I totally agree

Blog Entries
    I* agree These are quilted but not a quilt. They are Pot Pinchers to protect y our hands from hot pans and steam.
    !

I am fairly new at quilting, but as far as I'm concerned, a quilt is what covers a bed or a person, no matter the size.
    This idea of finding a pattern you really like and then find it is a wall hanging and only gives size and directions for a wall hanging is completely absurd to me.
    Yes, some are quite beautiful, but they are still not quilts, they are wall hangings.
    Quilted Pot Pinchers, Not a quilt.
    Name:  Attachment-163265.jpe
Views: 21
Size:  46.0 KB

Blog Entries
    You are so funny! Hold that pose until the cows come home. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
    What would call a top and backing with no batting that is quilted together?

My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dunster
    Cathedral Windows quilts
    has more fabric or at least equal fabric with two sides! the folding of the fabric, hand done as originally intended, vs machine I be to differ.

very labor intensive.

ouch

I must say that I agree with you, esp. over the very small wall hangings. I've seen some quite small "quilts" on ebay that when I looked at them were only about 15"x 20" o something equally tiny. I was thinking they were so pretty as she titled them "quilts". I wish they would call them "miniature quilts" or "quilted wall hangings".

But I'm not the quilt police. I do think of a quilt at minimum as baby crib size/lap quilt size or bigger. Smaller than that, and it is simply my opinion (I've not had the time to read all of the opinions here) as to what they are...

Some people here call the the smaller quilted items "table toppers", "table runners" etc and not just "quilts" that happen to be long and skinny, or oblong and small. I think it is esp. helpful if they would describe the item relative to what it is and reserve the word "quilt" for something big enough to use as a lap warmer, crib blanket :) or of course, a twin, full, queen or king size bed.

I find it a bit deceptive (to me) to call something really small a quilt. It is a quilted item. But that's probably just me.

I think the only time this topic should even be breached is in a juried show. Like items should be grouped together. To me, this is no different than handquilting vs. machine quilting. I think it is all lovely but should not be put together in the same categories for judging purposes. The bottom line is that we all do this "quilting thing" to express our inner creativity. EVERYTHING is OKAY!!!!! Can't we all just get along??? :-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pamsmpk
    I think the only time this topic should even be breached is in a juried show. Like items should be grouped together. To me, this is no different than handquilting vs. machine quilting. I think it is all lovely but should not be put together in the same categories for judging purposes. The bottom line is that we all do this "quilting thing" to express our inner creativity. EVERYTHING is OKAY!!!!! Can't we all just get along??? :-)
    Good reply

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5