Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When is it not a quilt? >

When is it not a quilt?

When is it not a quilt?

Old 03-02-2011, 06:40 AM

I say tomato, you say tomahto.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:48 AM

Let's just say that sometimes it is just in the eye of the beholder and be thankful that we are enjoying the art regardless of what we call it.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:20 AM

"To Quilt" is the process of putting the top, back & batting (if any) together and stitching or tying the "sandwich".
The finished item is:
a QUILT if it is used on a bed or over a person like a lap quilt.
Wall-hanging if it goes on a wall. the QUILTING PROCESS was used to make the wall-hanging, table runner, purse etc.
The terms above are traditional.
My pet peeve is calling a QUILT a blanket! A Blanket is woven, not QUILTED.
Phyllis, 82 yrs in Oregon
70 yrs quilting.
Call me the quilting police if you want---but be sure to read the word "traditional".
Old 03-02-2011, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Fabaddict
am thinking those that say it is not quilting or a quilt are self appointed quilt police. To them I spread raspberries all over. PFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTT
I've never seen that spelled out before... Love it!
Old 03-02-2011, 07:28 AM

The first time I went to a guild meeting I took a "show and tell" I had mostly tied my quilts and took one that was tied. I was told that it was a comforter not a quilt. I was slightly hurt. It had been machine pieced, machine sewn, backing, batting and top, and then I tied it - I always thought that it was a quilt :)
Janet
Old 03-02-2011, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by EdieClay
Someone told me once after I told them I was learning to machine quilt that she did "real" quilting by hand. I choose not to get in a discussion about what's real, what's a quilt ... I just say "well, good for you" and drop it! Those pesky quilt police ... they come in all forms.
I have a friend that insist the it is only real quilting if it is hand quilted. She knows I machine quilt because of my hands and I know she hand quilts because she is a twirp. LOL As you can tell we get along great and she would probably tell you the same of me. I have beautiful handquilting from greatgrandmother and grandmother, but I just can't do the hand quilting anymore.
That reminds me, I need to give Gale a call. Thanks for all you quilters, however you may do it and where ever you get 'er done. Love you guys and girls!!!!
Old 03-02-2011, 07:48 AM

Way back in history the settlers would make "quilts" as they were called. It was fabric, maybe pieces, maybe not, but, they were not even quilted as they had no machines. They were tied.
Well, that being said, a quilt is a quilt if you take a sew pieces, or anything like that, and machine quilt it or tie it, or any combo.
Some even argue that a quilt that is tied is not a quilt. That is not true either
Old 03-02-2011, 07:49 AM

To use a Wall hanging pattern for a quilt, just make it 4 times as big.
Cut 4 times as much and make 4 times as many blocks, etc. Should come out almost as wanted, or take the square inches of one block into the the square inches of a quilt you want to make. This figure will tell you how many blocks to make. Figure to the closest size without going over and add borders to make the correct size.
Phyllis,
70 yrs quilting in Oregon
Old 03-02-2011, 07:55 AM

This is a really interesting thread! I myself am not into *art quilts* but OMG, Hollis' work is absolutely stunning!
I have no intention of ever entering quilt shows, just not my thing.

So what ever they are called, I enjoy doing them, plus it helps my sanity! So I will continue to make them, all sizes and shapes, no matter what they are called! :thumbup:
Old 03-02-2011, 08:57 AM

Yes I agree. I really find it irritating. Why go to all that trouble to make a quilted piece only to hang it on the wall. At least make it into something useful. If I want to look a picture I either paint it or draw it or if I could afford it I would go to an Art gallery.