Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When to use Super Slider Mat >

When to use Super Slider Mat

When to use Super Slider Mat

Old 12-11-2015, 11:37 AM

Default When to use Super Slider Mat

I bought a Super Slider to learn free-motion quilting. But does one use it while doing regular quilting as well, such as just straight line.

Thanks,
Kelly~
Old 12-11-2015, 11:44 AM
Power Poster

I have never needed one but I would assume not since the machine is moving the fabric for you when you are using your walking foot.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:44 AM
Power Poster

Normally, you just use it in FMQ. It allows the sandwich to move freely, and often covers the feed dogs to keep them from catching (even if lowered). If the feed dogs are exposed by the mat, you can leave it on when you straight line quilt either with or without walking foot.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:23 PM

Hmmmm, here's a question whilst we're talking about super sliders......my machine is set into a table but base of the machine itself is, although flush with my table inset, is slightly rounded and therefore sits a titch "above" the sewing table...neatly, but slightly "mounded". So how the heck do I attach a "flat" super slider to it for fmq.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:53 PM

No because it just has a small hole for the needle and covers the feed dogs.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by ruby2shoes View Post
Hmmmm, here's a question whilst we're talking about super sliders......my machine is set into a table but base of the machine itself is, although flush with my table inset, is slightly rounded and therefore sits a titch "above" the sewing table...neatly, but slightly "mounded". So how the heck do I attach a "flat" super slider to it for fmq.
The Supreme Slider is flexible and should attach with no problems. I store mine rolled up to keep it from getting creases.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:04 PM

I have the largest they make (sorry, can't remember what it's called, but it's larger than the Supreme Slider) on my Babylock Tiara II at all times. It really does help with the drag . . .straight line with a ruler or free motion, both are easier with the slider in place.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:28 PM

My Bernina extension table is not flat for some ridiculous reason. It is thicker (higher on top) on the right side than the left & curves downward toward the edges, but I have no problem using my Slider. My Slider has a micro-crease in it where the bobbin viewing window is. It doesn't affect the functionality of the Slider.

You do not want to use it with your feed dogs up or it will get chewed to bits. I've heard too many stories about that happening, so I try to be very careful to always remember. You can do straight line stitching with a darning/FMQ foot and the feed dogs down, but if you attach a walking foot, you will want to remove your Slider or it will get chewed up top and bottom.

EDIT: If you really want to use your Slider with the feed dogs up (some people FMQ with them up), I know 2 girls in my guild that used scissors to enlarge the needle hole in their Slider. They claim that works. I have no idea, but at least the Slider wouldn't get chewed up.

Last edited by Bree123; 12-11-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:53 AM

I used mine just when doing the quilting part