Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When using Minky >

When using Minky

When using Minky

Old 02-22-2022, 01:38 PM

Default When using Minky

I've never used Minky on one of my quilts for Project Linus or a quilt for the granddaughters, but it's been in my mind a lot today. Can you answer some general questions for me? Is it 60" in width? Does it require batting such as W & N? Is the quilt "birthed", or do you bind it as on a regular quilt?
I asked at Joann's today and all they told me was that it is thinner than fleece, but expensive according to the young lady at the cutting counter. I'm thinking of trying it on a quilt that is 36 x 59 inches...tall toddler. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-22-2022, 02:08 PM

I have used minky on the back of a quilt on my longarm. It is 60 inches wide and make a nice throw. It stretches so its harder to use but I liked the results. I used a light weight poly batting in it.
Old 02-22-2022, 04:12 PM

I used minkey on two quilts. I learned that I should start quilting in the middle of the quilt and work out so any stretching was not bunched in the middle. I used regular Warm and Natural batting and a regular binding.
Old 02-22-2022, 05:37 PM

I’ve used it twice. Once on a 45” square quilt and the stretch was there but manageable. The next was more like 50” by 60” or so and the stretch was more of a problem. I quilted both on a long arm frame. I’m not sure how to mitigate the stretching but it seems like there should be a way. I want to try again someday because I love the quilts made with it. I did use batting.

it’s possible that putting the pieced top on the backing rail and the Minky on the top rail would make it easier to manage the product, but that might create new problems if the fabric bunched up under the presser foot.

I have bought Minky or similar product in 60” width.
Old 02-22-2022, 06:35 PM

I made a twin size with minky on the back. I used French Fuse a tricot interfacing to control the stretch. Luckily the minky I had did not melt with the iron. Worked great with no batting. The top was batiks with a minky back, very warm.
Old 02-22-2022, 06:42 PM

It's actually cheaper to purchase minky blankets from Home Goods, TJ Maxx, Marshall's etc. You can get a 60x60 throw for $10-$15 in my area.
I have used them on backs of quilts. Just have to be aware of the stretch and be careful with it.
Old 02-22-2022, 08:08 PM

When loading minky on a longarm, if you have the selvedges on the sides, the stretch isn't a problem. In other words, pin the non selvedge edges to the leaders.

If you're quilting on your sit down machine, use 505 spray baste. And a walking foot helps a ton!

All minky is not equal. Shannon is a better quality. Some of the JoAnn "minky" is super luxurious, but super stretchy. Try to avoid the super stretchy stuff for quilted items.

You can either "birth" a minky quilt or put a binding on it. If you want to use minky for your binding, you would cut it 2 1/2" wide but don't fold it in half before you sew it on. Just sew one layer on first. When you turn it to the back (or front) to finish, then turn the edge under.

With Warm and Natural, you have to quilt closer than if you used an 80/20 Hobbs or Winline batting. I've known of the Warm and Natural falling apart in minky quilts that don't have much quilting -- like the minky strip quilts. Or the Hobbs Polydown or Tuscany Poly are other good battings for minky quilts.
Old 02-23-2022, 02:58 AM

I love making quilts with Minky and quilt them on my domestic machine. Using a walking foot really helps. I often use a flannel sheet as the batting. (make sure it's been laundered and shrunk first) The flannel grips the Minky and helps manage the stretch. Mainly: Have fun.
Old 02-23-2022, 03:35 AM

Minky does make for a soft and cuddly blanket and it is stretchy. I have done both, with and without batting. I have a crib size loaded on my long arm now but have been stuck on a design idea. Good luck Linda
Old 02-23-2022, 05:51 AM

I've backed a couple of t shirt quilts for my cousin with minky. She supplied the shirts and backing. It is super luxurious and snuggly. I chose not to use batting because the bag with the minky was already so heavy, and she planned to carry it to football games and such. For the binding, I double folded the extended minky to the front and used a zig-zag stitch to secure, with a walking foot! I have a domestic machine.
Attached Thumbnails preslie-sr.jpg   kenedys-t-shirts.jpg