Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When will you throw a "usable size" piece of fabric in the trash? >

When will you throw a "usable size" piece of fabric in the trash?

When will you throw a "usable size" piece of fabric in the trash?

Old 06-20-2019, 04:38 AM
Power Poster

Default When will you throw a "usable size" piece of fabric in the trash?

I've decided that we have different ideas of "usable size" - so the criteria for this question is - when will you throw away - in the trash - so that no one else can use it - a piece of fabric that is "usable size"?

I now try to avoid bringing home "unsuitable" fabrics, but I have gotten stuck a few times.

For me:

If it bleeds and bleeds and bleeds. No sense in passing on a problem.
Yes, I have heard about Retayne and Synthrapol.

If it ends up being very limp after the sizing is washed out.
Yes, I have also heard about starch/sizing - but if I want gauze or cheesecloth, I try to buy that "intentionally".

I have gotten more selective about what I will buy.

From what I've been reading, it's the "gifts" that are passed on to others that tend to have unusable/unsuitable fabric in them.

I do have a stack of fabrics that have polyester in them that feel nice and are pretty. I am in a bit of a quandary about what to do with them.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:42 AM

For me it's the bleeders that I will toss. I don't want to pass something along that will ruin someone's project. Limp, loose, thin fabric, I will pass onto the Guild's free table. I figure someone else can see those flaws and if they want to work with it, fine. I also pass along poly blends. Someone will like them.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:11 AM

If it's been soiled or gotten smelly to the point where I can't clean it or get the smell out- I'd toss it. Otherwise, if I can't/won't use it, I'd either give it to someone who will, or donate it. I've never encountered a fabric that was a bad bleeder, but if I did, I'd probably try it in an experimental art piece (something that would't get washed) and then if I didn't like the piece, I'd toss the whole thing LOL.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 06-20-2019 at 05:18 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:15 AM

I think in the last seven years of buying quilting cotton I have only had one bad bleeder which is pretty good. I didn't try to rescue that piece, it was only about a half a yard. I tend to keep all fabric I get even if it is ugly or thin because I can use in other projects, like headbands, bags, wristlets, pillow covers, hanging dishtowels, or pet beds.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:22 AM

I don't do it so much any more but sometimes I buy bags of mixed fabric from the thrift stores. I go through it and I do trash some of the contents (junked up little scraps mostly), but most are just unsuitable for me and so get folded up nicely and put back in the bag and then I just donate the bag back to the store Or, I collect other non-quilting fabrics until I have a bag ready to go. We are all looking for different things -- someone else is going to see that gorgeous piece of black brocade I left folded on the bottom of my most recent bag so it could be seen and want to buy it. Or someone else will want the felt pieces I put on top, or be thrilled with the solid poly blend broadcloth in the middle.

Bleeders or known problems should be put out of everyone's misery... Here in the Seattle area we do have last stop textile recycling too, for things like gross pillows. It's rare that I consider something bad enough to toss, but I shred the fabric to make sure no one snags it out.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:36 AM

I have save the pile of poly/cotton blends in a place of their own. After I have a larger number of them I will use them to make a charm quilt for the outdoors. Like a beach quilt that it won't matter if something gets spilled on it or one of the grand kids throw sea weed on it or baby accidents. This kind of utility quilt doesn't require any kind of special quilting and doesn't need to be very large either. Totally scrappy. Bleeders I toss or wish I had. I use to have a barrel of such fabrics. I gave it away on our local "Freecycle". Someone came for it right away. I did post that the fabrics were not suitable for quilling.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:40 AM

My usable size is over 2.5 inches so smaller pieces are tossed without guilt or picking back out of the can. LOL!
The pieces trimmed from binding ends just bug me so out they go. Scraps, bad blocks or project mistakes can be tossed freely.

There is no guilt allowed in my sewing room.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:14 AM

I've used cotton/poly fabrics and never have had any problems with them. As for sizes/fabrics that aren't "usable" I use them in pet beds, along with other trimmings, such as batting pieces, strips, etc.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:30 AM

I don't throw fabric in the trash. I give away scraps I know I won't use, and what I call 'trimmings' (the edges one cuts away when straightening fabric for cutting) I put in a pillowcase and when full, sew it shut and DH takes it to our favorite animal shelter.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

what an interesting concept, lol, throwing fabric out , but there are
"grades" with anything.
I've read all the replies and admire the ingenuity and the energy.
I've only had one bleeder in the past ten years and as far as I know
I got it stopped.
This thread makes me realize it's back on a shelf somewhere waiting
for me. I know I will recognize it when I come back across it bc it's
a lovely raspberry solid.
I hope when I wash it again it stays that way!
I'm much more careful about any purchases and haven't made one
in a long time,...a few years, except for a fat quarter here or there.
I'm downsizing so the most likely culprits will go first.
Not a fabric snob, but I'll be keeping the quilt shop fabrics first and
then we'll see.
I see beautiful quilts made from Joann's, walmart, hobby lobby and
stores like that and I've shopped in all those places myself.
It's durability that I want among other things.
The only reason I keep any pieces smaller than 2.5" is bc i love
applique. It has to be pretty or interesting though, otherwise
it's gonna go...somewhere.