Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
when you buy fabric, do you expect any extra length? >

when you buy fabric, do you expect any extra length?

when you buy fabric, do you expect any extra length?

Old 03-06-2014, 07:38 AM

Default Being shorted on fabric

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I know I am upset if I am shorted an 1/8 inch on a cut, and pleased to get extra.

When a piece is rotary cut, do ou expect to get the piece " cut to the neaarest thread" - or do you want/ expect " a litle extra"?

I am not aware of any other commodiity - such as meat , gold, gasoline - where we think we are entitled to " exrea"
I would just like to get what I pay for, not shorted to a yard being 35"! I now watch very closely and will ask for a re-measure if I'm not convinced that I'm getting it all. Phyllis/VA
Old 03-06-2014, 08:19 AM

At JoAnn's and Hancock they cut with a scissors, which is sometimes straight and sometimes not. At my LQS's they rotary cut and always check to see if the beginning cut was straight or not before cutting my piece from the bolt. I generally don't wash my fabric, but it does shrink sometimes, so if I'm getting fabric for a specific project, I'll buy 1/8 yard more, just to be safe.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:19 AM

There is a small fabric shop in Boston , Massachusetts called Sewfisticated which sells all sorts of fabric for the different ethnic population in addition to upholstery fabric and cottons for quilting . They are very very generous with their fabric . I think all of their employees go to The School of Generosity . Their prices are good and so what is they lose a few inches on a yard , they gain it by loyal customers and word of mouth which is free and rewarding. I try not to go in too often as I spend lots of money . Quilting cotton is $3.99 a yard on the bolt , if it's on the table it's $2.49 . They also sell lots of lace for embellishment . It's a treasure trove !!
Old 03-06-2014, 08:24 AM

*** I always look at the fabric on the bolt &
if the last cut was crooked, I tell them to cut
from the most inward spot, so that I am
not SHORTED on one end of the cut.

*** Sometimes they look at me like I
am crazy but my $$$ is hard to come by
& not very much so I want what I am
paying for.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:05 AM

I am with amandasgramma, I just want what I pay for. I can not tell you how many times I get fabric home and when I go to cut it and straighten it out I have been short a few inches or more. And don't get me started on fat quarters, lol.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:29 AM

No, but I watch very closely when the fabric is cut. Every once in awhile the lady at my local Hobby Lobby will fudge a little and give me a tad extra; but I don't expect it. However with the cost of fabric rising I want every little inch I pay for.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:37 AM

I usually buy a 1/4 yard more than I need to compensate for the fabric not being wound straight on the bolt.
I make many scrap quilts so it all works out.
Sharon
Old 03-06-2014, 11:23 AM

Our LQS "tears" the fabric across WOF, so no matter what the condition of the fabric on the bolt, you get an even yard or whatever measurement. I used to worry about stretching but the LQS handles decent quality and so if there is any stretching it is minimal.

I usually buy just a smidgen extra (1/8 yd. or 1/4 yd. if not sure) for shrinkage... I WASH EVERYTHING!! that way there are no surprises, esp. with color running or fabric that's been twisted-catiwampus on the cardboard.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:35 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

I just expect what I asked for .. and if its my fault then I go back and ask for more -pay for it .. But if they short me, then I expect it to be taken care of ..
IF I ever get any over I pay for it, to me its just the proper thing to do ...
Old 03-06-2014, 11:36 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Originally Posted by Nonna Judi View Post
I am with amandasgramma, I just want what I pay for. I can not tell you how many times I get fabric home and when I go to cut it and straighten it out I have been short a few inches or more. And don't get me started on fat quarters, lol.
__________________________________________________ __________________
That is why I make my own fat quarters !LOL