Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When you buy fabric!  How much do you buy?  (Enjoy!) >

When you buy fabric! How much do you buy? (Enjoy!)

When you buy fabric! How much do you buy? (Enjoy!)

Old 06-17-2010, 10:14 AM

The only time I buy fat quarters is when I need a lot of different fabrics in small amounts. I find half yard bundles more useful than fat quarter bundles. I have a few jelly rolls and layer cakes. Have also done charm squares.

When I find a fabric I like I buy one or two yards. Then I keep an eye out for fabrics to add to the collection.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

I refuse to answer on grounds of the fifth amendment.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I refuse to answer on grounds of the fifth amendment.
LOL
Old 06-17-2010, 11:06 AM

I don't like patterns so I rarely buy what a pattern says I should buy. I like to just let the fabric tell me what to make with it.

I buy sets of coordinating fabrics that I like. The more I love the fabric, the more I buy - lol.

I mostly buy half a yard each of 3-4 coordinating fabrics.
If I am getting a great price or it's something I've been looking for I buy a yard of each.

If I see one fabric that I like with nothing coordinating, I try not to buy it, but if I HAVE to have it, I buy 1 yard.

I like precuts, but I find I don't really have a use for them unless I buy specifically for a project.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

at the moment - none, nothing, nada, zilch. Waaaaaaah - I am on a self-imposed buying moratorium until I use up some stash. BUT when I buy- it all depends on how much I like it. My most favorite piece is 9 yards of a black and gold paisley. If it is meant for backing, I go big (usually 5 yards) if it is srap-addage, I usually add 1 yard. If it has border potential, I get 2-3 yards......and that is why I have a regular hoard. (heavy sigh)
Old 06-17-2010, 12:41 PM

I couldn't think of buying 3 metres (slightly more than 3 yards)if I didn't know what I was going to do with it. Good quality materials here cost $A22 to $A25 a metre but can get some for down to $6 but not a great selection. A lot of our materials seem to come from USA so they are more expensive here.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
at least one yard; usually 2 or 3

up to 6 if i think it will work as a "neutral" background fabric or for the back.

even more if i know i'll want to use it for more than one quilt.
This is what I do. I only occasionally buy fat quarters and never buy any of the other "pre-cuts"
If it on clearance (and if it is a good fabric) I will buy lots, if I like it and it is a really good price, I will finish the bolt off and then I have it for a backing.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:49 PM

I buy lots of fat quarters, especially at quilt shows, it is just easier with all the people. I can't spend a lot of money, so that way I do get to get something new! I also love scrappy quilts, even if I made a red and white quilt, I would still use 10 or so prints of each color to do the quilt, so I need small amounts of lots of fabrics. The more you quilt, you will start to recognize which fabrics you will want to use for borders, or backgrounds, and of course you will need more of those. Buying small pieces does cause frustration, I have wanted to use a fabric for a project and not had enough of it. That has brought out the creativity in me though! I would rather have 1 yard of 5 fabrics than 5 yards of 1 fabric, most of the time! If you have unlimited money, get lots!!
Old 06-17-2010, 10:18 PM

I used to buy a lot of FQS figuring at some point I would use them for scrap quilts but I don't seem to be using them up. I've been trading some. When I buy yardage it's usually 1-2 yards. I think I have a large stash and yet when I find a pattern I like I don't seem to have enough of what I need or want.
I love jelly rolls, charm packs and Bali Pops but money is usually an issue, isn't it always?, so I shop cautiously. Doesn't mean, of course, that I don't still impulse buy and buy my favorite colors.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:54 AM

I never buy enough fabric and what is really sad is I only buy what I am working on at the time. Have presently gone back to Joannes 4 times for fabric that I have run out of. Will probably not use fat quarters again because of this reason. I better have enough to finish the quilt. UHHH . never enough fabric.