Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When you buy fabric!  How much do you buy?  (Enjoy!) >

When you buy fabric! How much do you buy? (Enjoy!)

When you buy fabric! How much do you buy? (Enjoy!)

Old 06-18-2010, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes one can design a quilt from the back - if one finds a nice fabric that is "reasonably priced" - and there is enough for a backing - get that (a king sized one will take approximately 10 yards) -
Old 06-18-2010, 05:40 AM

Don't like FT's, too expensive. I'm with ZQUILTER-too many new things to do! I like buying 2 yard cuts. I do mostly my own patterns, so there is a lot of trial & error (OK more error). All those speciality cuts are too expensive. Unless it leaves me short of breath. Then I have to buy it-or discover I'm allergic to it!
Old 06-18-2010, 05:49 AM

It really depends on the fabric/project.

For some, where I have a very specific project in mind - like the baby quilt for a Duke fan - and I know I'll never use the fabric again (rabid TarHeel fans here), then I buy as close to what I need as possible.

For others, like Laurel Burch fabrics that I love - I try to buy a yard or two at a time. But I'm also finding that they sit while I try to find a pattern that will fit them. So not the best use of limited funds.

I think I average 1/2 yard to 1 yard if I have a rough idea of what I'm going to do with the fabric.

I like fat quarters when they are on sale or packaged to be less than $2.00/yard or less than 1/4 of the price of that particular fabric/yard. I haven't bought honeybuns or jelly rolls yet - in part because I do like duplicates of patterns - so getting just one or two strips of a given fabric is harder for me. My LQS puts half-yard cuts in baskets rather than FQs so I'm more likely to buy in that length for impulse buys.

Cheers, K
Old 06-18-2010, 06:05 AM

I only buy yardage. I have never been a fan of FQ's and all the other precut fabric. I know that I alway buy to much. Better to have to much than to little. I am alway afraid I will make a mistake, which happends all the time, and not have enough fabric to fix it.

I do try not to buy fabric just because I love it. I always have a project in mind.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:10 AM

Good Morning Craftybear,
In my quilt club, there is a very experienced lady who has a wonderful eye for color and her small quilts will cover a king size bed. Her rule of thumb is if you see something you like, never buy less than 3-yards!
If you like a certain line of fabrics, buy at least 5-of the co-ordinating fabrics and not less than 3-yards of each. You may not use them for two years (or in my case, longer) and if you do not have enough to work a project, there is almost no way of matching what you have.
Hope this has helped. Have a great day
Old 06-18-2010, 06:42 AM

I have been buying "theme" fabrics for about a year and a half. I've collected a nice stash that I keep in those three-drawer plastic bins sorted by color. I almost always buy three yards.

Recently I realized that I have lots of "theme" fabrics, but now backgrounds. So now I'm hunting almost exclusively for backgrounds. It's much easier to find those on sale.

When I first started quilting, I purchased the fabric as I needed it for a specific pattern. Now that I have a real stash I'm discovering that it's like the "Field of Dreams." (If you build it, he will come.) If I'm patient, a pattern will come along for each bit of yardage that I have--even the silliest of novelty prints. One of the first fabrics I bought was pink flamingos on a white background. We'd just come back from a diving trip on a tiny island where they had flocks of pink flamingos, and so it spoke to me. The other day I was wondering if I'd ever find a pattern for it. Then a few days later, I bought a book called "Wonderfully Whimsical Quilts," and the first quilt in the book is a pink flamingo applique quilt. It's perfect for my fabric. I even found a perfect pattern for my sock monkeys!

I just love fabric. When I have trouble falling asleep at night, I just think about fabric. It never takes long after that.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:24 AM

Came from a garment sewing background, so I always purchase in yardarge, thinking that a fat quarter will never be enough and what happens if you run out....
I usually purchase three yards as a standard, but opt out for 6 yards if the price is right. You need 6 yards usually for backing..
I never pay full price ($8-10) for my quality fabric. I purchase from several sources, all brand name High quality. If I am going to spend time to make a quilt that will be handed down, I want the best for longevity.
D in Tx
Old 06-18-2010, 08:18 AM

If it's a fabric that I don't think I can find more of later - something really special - I buy at least 2 yards. It often depends on the price; if it's a real bargain, and I just love it, I'll buy at least 2 or the remainder of the bolt.
I made one crib quilt using a fat quarter bundle, but ended up having to buy more of two of the fabrics (fortunately they had more), and didn't use any of one fabric because it just didn't work well with my pattern. I don't think I'll buy fat quarter bundles anymore. They just weren't the bargain I thought they would be even on sale.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
Also do you like buying fat quarters?

Do you also buy the specialty cuts?

charmpacks
jelly rolls
layer cakes
honey buns
turnovers
fat eighth bundles
dessert rolls
twice the charms
bali pops
jolly packs
combination of cuts

this is a link to describe the different specialty cuts (so much to learn)

http://www.fatquartershop.com/guide-and-glossary.asp
And don't forget about the new Candy Bars...I think it's a 2 1/2" x 5" strip
Old 06-18-2010, 10:30 AM

Since im new to Quilting and ran out of fabric several times, I try to by 4 yards at a time, and usually wait for one of the sales that some are having- here every wed. fat quarter sale day, so I head for the LQS here im my town, when I buy from Hancocks (not Joanns here) sale only. I do order alot over the net. I did go to Vicksburg Ms. its wonderfull shop called "Stiches-n-frames " I think i have ever seen that much fabric in one store. There weekly sale is on Thursdays sign up and check it out .( there are several other places I order from but not as much.
Ps my sister won 2nd place in the quilt show there. yea for her.

barbara