Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When You Name Your Quilts... >

When You Name Your Quilts...

When You Name Your Quilts...

Old 03-06-2014, 12:22 AM

I name my quilts. I give them the names that "they whisper to me". Before you think I'm nuts, what I am saying is that each quilt has a certain vibe - sometimes a name that is perfect pops into my head immediately. Other times I struggle to find a name. I end up working on my quilts for so long, they do feel like part of my family. My two latest quilts are: Nipon Noir and A Taste of Honey. The first one is an oriental scrap quilt that has a black background in each block and the other is a challenge quilt that uses the color "honey" as the main color.

Anita
Old 03-06-2014, 01:25 AM

The quilt in my avatar is "Summer Romance". Color and design usually blend together to make a name. Usually as I'm sewing it together I name will come to me. Some times I use the name of the line of fabric in the name. Example....I made a quilt using Marmalade fabric line, the quilt was called Cherry Blossom Marmalade. I design most of my quilts so I like to give them a name. I can see why others find it really silly. If your using someone elses design, might as well use their name also...I do when I make a quilt designers pattern, gives credit where credit is due. I think if our quilts out live us its nice to have a name and information about the quilt. How many times have you seen an old quilt and would love to konw a little about the quilter? Not sure that you'll ever see my quilt in a muesum but quilts get handed down and out of a family, its nice to be able to trace them back.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

If it won't come when I call it, then it doesn't get a name.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:43 AM

I name my quilts. The name usually comes to me while I'm working on them.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by maryb119 View Post
Same for me. I am thinking the most unusual name for a quilt was "Dan's Tats" because the quilt was based on the tattoos of Dan. "Go Fish" was another one. The quilt was made for my brother, had a fish theme and I recall us spending hours as children playing the card game "Go Fish".
Sometime the fabric plays a role in naming, sometimes the pattern sometimes both.
Not all my quilts get unique names. Usually if they are being gifted or shown they get named and that gets put on the label. I have had some very uninspired names like "Batik Block swap" or just used the pattern name.
The spiderweb I am working on now is named "African Queen" because the fabrics are mostly African themed and the quilt is queen size.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:41 PM

I usually am making them for a family member. Then it is called Sues quilt or Bobs quilt. Other than that I call them by the pattern name.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:48 PM
Power Poster

I name most of mine. I hand quilt in sections, on one of them, i put it tog on the diagonal. I did it crooked and my corners were uneven, so I called it crooked corners. my son loved it and wanted one for himself, but said to use blacks and make it even. well, wouldn't you know, I screwed it up again, so it's called, crooked corners 2, a lesson in creativity, learning from our mistakes. I evened out the corners with prairie points. everyone asked me how did you think of such a great idea. yeah right. if they only knew.
one of sea life, under da sea, it depends on the colors, the design if I screw up or not
Old 03-06-2014, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
If it won't come when I call it, then it doesn't get a name.
I'm with you on this one Dunster. Joyce in DE
Old 03-06-2014, 01:54 PM

I typically give my quilts "titles" - sometimes random or off the wall - as I always label my quilts. They are usually based on some feeling, emotion, or memory generated by the quilt at some stage in making it. Most unusual name for me - was probably "Oh My Gawdy" (yes in my opinion it was Gawdy! And the gal that got that one loves it!
Old 03-06-2014, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by maryb119 View Post
That's the way I do, something usually comes to mind when I'm working on them too.