Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When you purchase Quilt kits or BOM singles >

When you purchase Quilt kits or BOM singles

When you purchase Quilt kits or BOM singles

Old 06-08-2011, 11:46 AM

Would you rather have the fabric cut just a tad larger so you can trim it up to the proper size or no?
I am trying to sew up some old BOM singles from Joanns, they are cut smaller than what they are supposed to be.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:57 AM
bj

I definitely wouldn't want precuts to be smaller!
Old 06-08-2011, 11:58 AM

Many of the squares in the one I am working on are supposed to be 3 1/2 inches, they are 3 1/4!
Points will be off etc GRRRRRR
Old 06-08-2011, 12:36 PM
Power Poster

i would not purchase precut block kits- i've found that it's hard enough getting enough fabric for your blocks without someone else messing it up ahead of time for you...i've participated in many boms over the years- and the ones with pre-cut's i avoid...just like we all sew differently we cut differently too- and we all have our own rulers & tools...mine may not measure the same as yours- mine is over 10 years old and worn- yours may be new...for someone else to cut out the blocks for me i would never be able to get it together= it would be a UFO before it was ever started...i cringe at the thought...especially since i may read a pattern and know a different way to make that block that is lots easier---or just different- and i need/want the fabric to be able to do it my way not someone elses way - that's part of what makes it mine
Old 06-08-2011, 12:40 PM

I would adjust my seam allowance and if still a little small, spray with water and block
Old 06-08-2011, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i would not purchase precut block kits- i've found that it's hard enough getting enough fabric for your blocks without someone else messing it up ahead of time for you...i've participated in many boms over the years- and the ones with pre-cut's i avoid...just like we all sew differently we cut differently too- and we all have our own rulers & tools...mine may not measure the same as yours- mine is over 10 years old and worn- yours may be new...for someone else to cut out the blocks for me i would never be able to get it together= it would be a UFO before it was ever started...i cringe at the thought...especially since i may read a pattern and know a different way to make that block that is lots easier---or just different- and i need/want the fabric to be able to do it my way not someone elses way - that's part of what makes it mine
I am going to use these blocks for learning free motion quilting on a domestic machine.
I do like having the pattern though with these blocks. It gives here are what size the pieces are etc.
So I can do the block in my own fabric.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:08 PM

Yes, I would rather trim them myself.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:57 AM

I stopped buying precuts due to some of them being cut wrong, learned my lesson. Pay more and get less. I only buy yardage now.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by DebsShelties
Would you rather have the fabric cut just a tad larger so you can trim it up to the proper size or no?
I am trying to sew up some old BOM singles from Joanns, they are cut smaller than what they are supposed to be.
I would rather trim, I do alot of Joann's BOM and I try & do them or at least check them as sometimes there also short on fabric. NOT always.