Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When you use white background what kind of material do you use? >

When you use white background what kind of material do you use?

When you use white background what kind of material do you use?

Old 08-14-2011, 04:16 AM

I don't use any of the whites mentioned in your replys. I like to use a better grade of cotton percale. It washes well, has more body and is usually a clear white. I also use the sale cotton percale for solids. You can buy it at W-Mart and it is less expensive than name brands.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:18 AM
Power Poster

I like Kona, but I also like a white on white pattern.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:36 AM

for solid white, I prefer to use Kona but usually use a white-on-white.....
Old 08-14-2011, 04:44 AM

Kona. I finally broke down and bought a bolt of white from the Fabric Depot in Portland. It was a good price - maybe $6 a yard, it's been a while - and free shipping. Having a bolt is really handy. I also love Kona snow.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:50 AM

I love this quilt I been wanting to do one like this but never could find a pattern WHAT PATTERN DID YOU USE COULD YOU LET ME KNOW
Old 08-14-2011, 05:16 AM

white on white for me....
Old 08-14-2011, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by lindasidlow
I use Kona Snow. I buy it by the bolt from Hancock's of Paducah. It isn't as bright as regular white and its not an off white. Just a color of its own! If I use muslin in a quilt, I use Moda muslin which I buy by the bolt also! I also buy Kona black by the bolt! I guess I'm boring!
I suppose if you can afford to buy bolts, or have an enormous stash of fabric then you are blessed. Me,well, I buy in sales,sometimes in those can't resist moments ,full price.Other times swap with friends.I have friends that can afford to just buy what they want,and they are good people who will always share.I never refuse whatever fabric, white or otherwise-use or pass on.In the quilting sisterhood I think almost all have a generous spirit and no fabric is really unuseable--look to the past.I have learnt so much of life and design from sites like this. we are moving from a house that saw the birth of discovery of patchwork in my life -- so sad in a way.However my son has sought out quilting shops for me to visit, he wants us nearer to him as my disability gets worse That is so special to us, the love of family and quilting seem to be synonymous doesn't it.
Love, Letty
Old 08-14-2011, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lindasidlow
When I say I use Kona I mean Robt. Kaufman Kona, not the kona from Joanns. It frays a lot.
JoAnns does sell the Robt. Kaufman Kona. All Kona is his brand. However JoAnn's also sells other muslins right beside the Kona muslin. I wonder if you picked up one of the other ones accidentally?
Old 08-14-2011, 07:35 AM

I like to use Kona but have used muslin.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by hazeljane
I really love the bamboo/cotton muslin I bought in Joann's last year. Enough so that I went and bought a second bolt.

Otherwise, I use high quality white sheets- thread count about 250. I know that many don't like to use sheets, but I buy sheets and sheet sets in Ross or TJMaxx and don't care if they are irregular. The first thing I do is rip off the elastic on the fitted, and tear it into rectangles more easily used.

I often use the fitted sheet (of any color) as the sashing in a quilt, then I use the flat sheet for a backing, and give the quilt with the pillowcases, which match exactly.
I like your idea about the bottom sheet use vs the top sheet.

When I embroidered parasol girls (machine emb) for a quilt I am working on, I chose a white on white delicate background print and I think it will add a little to it.

Marysewfun