Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When your married to an engineer there is no such thing as a "simple request" to make a big board ironing board >

When your married to an engineer there is no such thing as a "simple request" to make a big board ironing board

When your married to an engineer there is no such thing as a "simple request" to make a big board ironing board

Old 05-17-2011, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Do not ask a Journeyman electrician or a Master Welder to do anything either. My BF made it sound like he was going to add Stadium Lights above my sewing area, then he was going to weld them into place. I believe he said something about adding hydraulics so they could recess into the ceiling. When he was out of town, I went and bought an Ott Lamp.
:lol:

That was hilarious.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:45 AM

My DH is something like that--although he isn't an engineer, but has built things all his life. My secret solution is to wait until he is out of the house (to work or on an errand), then I tare around doing all the things I want to do the way I want. "Where there is a will, there is a way."!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-17-2011, 07:49 AM

My brother does this too. LOL The house may fall down but darn it my thread racks will still be attached.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:04 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

haha my daughter's dfil is an engineer and the same way!! I am making the veggies, fruits etc that I saw another woman here had done for her grands and since the dfil is great at building (built himself 2 planes) I thought ok . . . if he could do the lil wooden store part, I will do everything else. My daughter sighed and said "well, if he does it, I know it will be a work of art; but I also know that it will take him 5 months to draw up the plans-two unsatisfied proto types and I see it being done to HIS satisfaction 2 yrs from today". I told her that is ok, the boys are 3yrs and 2 months so they will love it by then!! lol
Old 05-17-2011, 08:04 AM

I feel your pain. It is just the way the engineer mind works.

My engineer husband once built a picnic table. Fortunately, he built it in place because there is no way we could have gotten a crane in the backyard to move it. LOL

I learned after many years, that if I say "this is exactly what I want. Can you do this for me?" He usually do it, if I explain his might be better quality, etc, but this will work just fine for my needs and save him a lot of design time.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:09 AM

If you have the room do this...I went to Lowe's and bought a kitchen cabinet without a top. Its the one that the sink is suppose to go in. It has two doors that open in the middle and one on each side plus two drawers. I got a piece of plywood and covered it with batting and an old sheet and set it on top of that cabinet piece. That takes care of your wobbly problem. And there's not much engineering to it. =)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-198280.jpe  
Old 05-17-2011, 08:10 AM

My engineer analizes Simple conversation.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:11 AM

Luv it!
Old 05-17-2011, 08:14 AM

I'm married to one too. I feel your pain.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:37 AM

I get the feeling that we all LOVE our engineering spouses!
What would we do without them?
They are definite keepers!