Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • When your married to an engineer there is no such thing as a "simple request" to make a big board ironing board >
  • When your married to an engineer there is no such thing as a "simple request" to make a big board ironing board

• When your married to an engineer there is no such thing as a "simple request" to make a big board ironing board

Old 05-18-2011, 02:23 AM

LOL - I too am married to an engineer!! I know what you are saying. I read my "engineer" hubby your post - he feels that we are being unfair to engineers :roll:. He also noted that I was laughing at this post AFTER he finished building my new sewing room.

I feel you pain - Just tell him to build it!
    Old 05-18-2011, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by QuilterGary
    Women sends engineer husband to the store for a gallon of milk. As he walks out the door she tells him if they have eggs get six. He returns with six gallons of milk. She said why did you get six gallons of milk. He said they had eggs.
    LOL Oh my I told my brother about these posts and he just laughed and said that it may take a while to get done but its done well.
    Old 05-18-2011, 06:00 AM

My 20 yr. old son is hoping to become an engineer. My dilemma is that he takes everything apart!! If he thinks we are no longer using something that has a motor, moving parts, etc. it is fair game for his next foray into making it into something else.

I pray that he makes it so he can get married and start taking his wife's things apart and leave mine alone! (Truthfully, I love his inquiring mind...)
    Old 05-18-2011, 07:41 AM

OHHHHHH been there still doing that. :) :)
    Old 05-18-2011, 11:18 AM

Something so simple can be made so hard- and it somehow didn't sound much lighter if you use one inch thick birch, although a soft wood! Wow!

I guess when they put so much thought into it they just want us to know they appreciate what we are doing and want the best for us; so what can we say except NO!!!! lol

Smile, and have a good day!
    Old 05-18-2011, 11:51 AM

As an engineer, I resemble that remark. That being said, since your husband does not understand what/how you came up with your dimension you are just going to have to deal with it (especially if he is not any type of crafts oriented). :thumbdown:
    Your best bet is to go to Lowe's and find a half sheet of plywood and have them cut it for you. Sorry :XD:
    Old 05-18-2011, 12:20 PM

OK I know what you mean, but I took the process into my hands last month. I purchases the 48x36 board cover, and pad. It requires a pc of 1/2 inch plywood that is 36x 48. I went to LOWES, and guess what, they are now selling a 1/2 sheet of plywood, that is 48 x 48 and they will make one cut, FREE, for you. I got it cut at the 36 in mark, and brought home both pcs of wood in my car, I borrowed a staple gun (with compressor) I adjusted the pad and fabric, tucked and stapled per the instructions, and now I have a wonderful ironing board.
    Its not that hard to do for these guys, it just seems that they like to make us wait for their help, not me, I just get in there and do it! Oh by the way, I had called Lowes, and the lady told me of the 1/23 sheet of plywood, but the guys in the lumber didnt know about it, but I persisited and he looked around and found that someone just "slipped this in on him". Good luck, BB
    Old 05-18-2011, 12:20 PM

OK I know what you mean, but I took the process into my hands last month. I purchases the 48x36 board cover, and pad. It requires a pc of 1/2 inch plywood that is 36x 48. I went to LOWES, and guess what, they are now selling a 1/2 sheet of plywood, that is 48 x 48 and they will make one cut, FREE, for you. I got it cut at the 36 in mark, and brought home both pcs of wood in my car, I borrowed a staple gun (with compressor) I adjusted the pad and fabric, tucked and stapled per the instructions, and now I have a wonderful ironing board.
    Its not that hard to do for these guys, it just seems that they like to make us wait for their help, not me, I just get in there and do it! Oh by the way, I had called Lowes, and the lady told me of the 1/2 sheet of plywood, but the guys in the lumber didnt know about it, but I persisited and he looked around and found that someone just "slipped this in on him". Good luck, BB
    Old 05-18-2011, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    I'm determined to get a big board type ironing board (homemade). I read the tutes & testimonials, and I even bought a new cover that will be perfect for a big board.

So I tell the husband "please cut a piece of 1/2" ply 18 x 48". Simple. Precise. Concise.

Naturally he wants to know why. So I tell him. I explain what and how I want to iron, and I show him what happens on my current (regular) ironing board.

He has found several things wrong (in his mind) with the concept and has spent the last two weeks over-engineering (in his head) my SIMPLE and CHEAP ironing board.

It will be too heavy.
    It will be too wobbly.
    It will soak up steam and starch and the ply will separate.

It seems like every time I have an idea to make something, he steps in and over-engineers the heck out of it and tells me I need something completely different than my original specs. You should have seen the whelping box he made, my bitch hated it and the puppies didn't like it much either.

So he looked at ironing boards online, you know the cute little ones that fold up into the wall (which are fantastic if I was only ironing shirts!) and told me "this is what you need". NO IT'S NOT!! Why can't he listen to me when I tell him what I NEED. I want to iron 44" of fabric across the board ... pretty simple concept isn't it?

Then there was the brilliant idea of ... 1/4" aluminum. We have tons of that stuff in stock (it's used for the beds on our machines). Thankfully the widest he can get it is 12". Whew!! Caught a break there!!

At the moment in his head I "need" a 1" thick (!!) piece of solid Birch (!!!), my dimensions (how'd I swing that?), marine varnished (indeed!!), and I need new legs that have a wider spread for stability.

Oh save me.

Being married to an engineer is trying sometimes.
    I am not sure what type of power tools your husband has, but I would get the wood, make it out and ask him to show you how to cut it.

I learned how to use power tools years ago. They are no harder to operate than a sewing machine. My husband, although handy, would never get the jobs I needed done. So I have leaned how to hang my own pictures, shelves, put together the"needs to be assembled," & even hang ceiling fans.
    Old 05-18-2011, 01:55 PM
    j

I think I am going to Home Depot and have them cut it for me. Then I'll cover it and listen to the remarks afterwards. I so know what you mean. - J.