Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When your married to an engineer there is no such thing as a "simple request" to make a big board ironing board >

When your married to an engineer there is no such thing as a "simple request" to make a big board ironing board

When your married to an engineer there is no such thing as a "simple request" to make a big board ironing board

Old 05-16-2011, 07:05 PM

Do not ask a Journeyman electrician or a Master Welder to do anything either. My BF made it sound like he was going to add Stadium Lights above my sewing area, then he was going to weld them into place. I believe he said something about adding hydraulics so they could recess into the ceiling. When he was out of town, I went and bought an Ott Lamp.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:10 PM
Google Goddess

have you seen the tutorial online that you can make a wood one that fits over your ironing board
Old 05-16-2011, 07:10 PM
Google Goddess

duplicate for some reason, I will find the link for the tutorial
Old 05-16-2011, 07:13 PM

have the same problem,soooo, i went to home depot and they cut the 1/2" plywood to my measurements loaded it in the car and away i went. DH had to get involved so i marked where i wanted three holes drilled, one in the center of the pointy end of the old ironing board and 2 at the other end. put screws through the wood, covered the board and laid it on the old ironong board and bolted it down. it doesn't wobble still folds up and is easy to move. you can do it too.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:15 PM

I haven't had such a good laugh since I quit working with engineers!!! I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. Fortunately my DH believes in the KISS principle: Keep It Simple Stupid.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:34 PM

My DH is a builder, so I have spent years and years in an UN-finished house here in Vanuatu until we got ready to move back to the US last year and sold it-that is when he started working on it again! Now he's retired (sort of), I thought a rectangular ironing board would be simple-showed him many pictures and tuts on this board-took weeks of nagging to get him to get the board (I already had the material for the cover) and it still isn't done (not even started) Granted, we have been overseas for 2 months, but he had the board weeks before we left! I can totally relate-he may not be an engineer, but as a builder, I still have trouble getting what I want!
Old 05-16-2011, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ
I haven't had such a good laugh since I quit working with engineers!!! I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. Fortunately my DH believes in the KISS principle: Keep It Simple Stupid.
I love it!
Old 05-16-2011, 07:41 PM
Banned

tell him you and your friend will make it over the weekend...he is no longer needed for this job..hehehe

wow..he wants it to weight a ton for sure...
Old 05-16-2011, 07:55 PM

Oh boy do I know this feeling, my DH is a computer engineer... you should see 'my' computer set up. Works great! couldn't fix it if I tried, and probably couldn't even plug it back in if it came unplugged :-) I tell him he is getting a little too "Rube Goldberg" for me. Love him anyway, he bought me a Bernina 430 for my graduation/mothers day present.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:12 PM

My hubby is a pattern maker. Patterns out of plastics and molds for just about anything! He does my templates for me and other friends. He even helps with designs and colors. He can tell if I am off ever so slightly....LOL...