Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When your married to an engineer there is no such thing as a "simple request" to make a big board ironing board >

When your married to an engineer there is no such thing as a "simple request" to make a big board ironing board

When your married to an engineer there is no such thing as a "simple request" to make a big board ironing board

Old 05-24-2011, 03:50 PM

Tell him you need marine plywood (it is made to be in water -- waterproof glue)
If he cannot/will not do it, go to the lumber yard yourself --they will cut it and you can sand the edges and then cover it. If you use fabric with one inch checks to cover, it helps you keep smaller pieces square.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:58 PM

I have an idea for you that may appeal to the engineer. I used to make custom draperies, and my workroom had a table made from homosote (an insulation type board). It is lightweight and no plys to separate and available at a lumber center in 2x4 or 4x8 sheets. A bonus is that you can stick pins into it to hold fabrics in place. The homosote was then covered with an old blanket covered by a piece of strong cloth, like duck and stapled to the board on the bottom. It worked beautifully for pressing large items, cutting, you name it. I sure miss that table now that I am confined to a bedroom and an ironing board.
Dee
Old 05-24-2011, 04:00 PM

Tell him you need marine plywood (it is made to be in water -- waterproof glue)
If he cannot/will not do it, go to the lumber yard yourself --they will cut it and you can sand the edges and then cover it. If you use fabric with one inch checks to cover, it helps you keep smaller pieces square.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:48 AM

Ha this is hysterical....but bottom line is ALL MEN are the same. My husband does this all the time. If I ask for a little help it is a HUGE production. Bless his little heart. I love him to death, but....all men are the same. Just be glad they are so willing, and be appreciative.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:57 AM

All men are alike!!!!
Old 05-25-2011, 10:47 AM

But we have to remember they do this because they love us and want the best for us, not to be annoying or anything like that.

I mentioned that I wanted a new set of pans and my dh researched the differnet brands, how pans are constructed, what metals are most heat whatever the word is. Thickness and weight of the metal. He checked reviews from various websites, went to different stores that carried the brands he was interested.

He did this in his spare time I didn't know about alot of it until he presented his findings to me one evening a few months later. I was almost afraid it would include a power point presentation when he pulled me to the computer. We picked out a nice set that I've had for 15 years now.

So I know that when he gets his analytical self going he's really wanting the best for me. But it's still funny because I would have picked what he picked because they had good reviews on Amazon.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:50 AM

Went through almost the same thing. Finally have my big board but there was a few times I was wishing I had not brought the subject up to inspection.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:53 AM

this cracked me as much as the origional post!!! a power point :-) :-)

my uncle was an engineer and oh how i miss him...my BF tries but ....

Originally Posted by charity-crafter
But we have to remember they do this because they love us and want the best for us, not to be annoying or anything like that.

I mentioned that I wanted a new set of pans and my dh researched the differnet brands, how pans are constructed, what metals are most heat whatever the word is. Thickness and weight of the metal. He checked reviews from various websites, went to different stores that carried the brands he was interested.

He did this in his spare time I didn't know about alot of it until he presented his findings to me one evening a few months later. I was almost afraid it would include a power point presentation when he pulled me to the computer. We picked out a nice set that I've had for 15 years now.

So I know that when he gets his analytical self going he's really wanting the best for me. But it's still funny because I would have picked what he picked because they had good reviews on Amazon.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 05-25-2011, 11:43 AM

Been there! My boyfriend has an overdeveloped brain so he tends to overthink things or explain things in intricate detail. I love him and its not like this 24/7, but it can be trying sometimes.

Several times on a long ride to somewhere (quilt shop, his place, date destination) he'll go on about something that will go completely over my head. Like the mathematics of Dungeons and Dragons (yes I have to be dating a total nerd who is too smart for his own good). He went on about that one for a good half hour and I just about fell asleep. And at the end I have said "You lost me". Really I mean "I don't get it so shut up", but I don't want to hurt his feelings. Instead of taking the hint that my average brain is not going to get it he'll go over it AGAIN and explain it in even greater detail. After like the fourth or fifth time I had to politely tell him that I love him, but he makes my brain feel stupid going on about something I don't get and that I didn't say anything before because I didn't want to hurt his feelings.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:46 AM

Mine's a nerd too. I love my nerd. Wouldn't trade him for the world.