Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When you're finished... >

When you're finished...

When you're finished...

Old 10-03-2017, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

A very timely topic for many of us!
Old 10-03-2017, 12:20 PM

Nobody quilts in my family. I have told my daughter to take what she and my granddaughters might want. Then I've asked her to invite my quilting bee friends over and let them have anything they want. What's left can go to our secondhand fabric store or to my guild. Daughter will follow my instructions.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

I really won't be worrying about it too much, once I'm gone! I'm sure my hubby will let our kids have their pick, and then give it away. I belong to a charity group, so he'd probably call them to come get my stuff.

If I just lose interest or become unable to quilt, I'll sell off what I have or give it to my charity quilter friends, depending on the need at the time.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
Mine goes to my Quilt Guilds community quilts to do as they see fit. After a friend gave me her mom's stash after she passed I realized. No one wants your stash. By the time you give it up, it's old, dated and dusty. She had almost a dozen UFO's. They were UFO's for a reason. After I completed 5 I gave up. To the free table they went. All but the polyester blend fabrics, they went to the trash.
Congratulations on completing five of them. I know it is not easy to finish other's UFOs.

A friend gave me a box full of polyester double knit 6 inch squares. No one else wanted them. I made seven lap quilts with the squares. They are all spoken for by various homeless shelters and food pantries. Yes, food pantries give out quilts, too, if they have them when there is a need.

Polyester fabric is not evil. It actually lasts longer than cotton. Another friend and I repaired and retied a quilt of polyester that had been around for years and years. Her brother loved it.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:53 PM
Suz

Several years ago, I made a pact with my friend that whatever quilt she is working on or what I am working when the inevitable happens, she/I will make sure that particular quilt will be finished by her/me. She now has two grown GD who may want to finished hers as they both quilt and my daughter may now pick up my projects. My daughter will dispense my stash and machines, etc.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
All of my stuff would fit in a truck load to the local Salvation Army ....well maybe not the quilting frame. But then again, he always packs the truck bed well whenever we buy something, so maybe. My children are interested in the quilts, but not the material, batting, books, etc. I'm trying to downsize as I go along.
If he goes first I have no idea what to do. He buys antique tractors, farm impliments, and builds race cars. The are a million bolts, screws, nuts, and tools in his workshop and the outbuilding. Two tractor trailers and five cars and pick-ups. It will take years to sell off everything. Compared to him I have very little.
My sister has this problem. Her husband is about 20 years older than her and has THREE workshops in the barn, metal working, woodworking, and clock repair. Very reluctant to get rid of any tools at over 80 years old. She made me promise to come down and help her out should she need to dispose of it after he is gone.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:37 PM

I agree with you dunster, I received all of my friends stash and all of her machines, I loved all of them and felt so good when I use any of her stuff, it makes me feel like she is still with me..The fabric that I couldn't use I gave to Salvation Army..

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Oh I disagree that no one would want our stash. Old and dated doesn't necessarily detract from its appeal, and dusty can be washed.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:02 PM
Power Poster

As I see older friends move out of their houses and into apartments and have sight issues I'm thinking about this more and more. One plus I have is teaching Grand daughters to sew...I'm working on #4. They may want some of Gram's things. Still have 2 more to teach.

One of my guild friends moved into assisted living last year. Her health failed drastically after the move. Early this summer, she chose to invite her guild friends (she belonged to 2 guilds) for an afternoon of pick and choose with a light lunch afterwards at her home. What a fun time! (If you took a tote you were instructed to finish the project in it! Last month one of our members brought in two tops from her fabrics!) My friend has since passed away, but we all have a little bit of her in our stash. This was a win-win situation as she was a widow with no children. Two of her very close friends (younger) assisted in the party. There was no delivering of goods to goodwill or church sewing circle...when the afternoon was over, the items had been methodically dispersed with just a few odds and ends to see to.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:23 AM

My dear aunt died in 2003, and my cousin packed up her UFOs and any fabric her sisters didn't want. She gave them all to me. I spent a wonderful 10 years finishing her projects, including trying to figure out what she planned to do with the miscellaneous quilt blocks she'd made. With every project and piece of her stash, I thought of her. It was a great experience. Guess I will have to groom a niece for the same experience!
Old 10-04-2017, 02:33 AM

I belong to a Quilt Guild. Our guild was given a gift several years ago from a former member who passed away. The executor of her estate contacted us to let us know that she left all sewing/quilting related items to our guild.

There were cutting tables, machines, cabinets, fabric, thread, rulers, Ufo's, etc. We had 2 weeks to come to her house and pick up her items. We held a sale to the public in the gym of the church where we meet for 2 separate weekends. The gym was filled to the brim (twice) as if you were in a fabric store. Members works tirelessly to sort, price, and work the sale. We are so grateful for the gift that attributed to our guild's treasury. We have been good stewards of this gift and have not had to have fundraisers for several years now.