Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When you're finished... >

When you're finished...

When you're finished...

Old 10-04-2017, 02:54 AM

What an interesting question! I loved reading the replies.

My husband, son and daughter would probably pick a couple of favorites then turn the rest over to my sisters. My sisters would probably be interested in some of the finished quilts, but no one in my family is interested in the process of quilting.

I imagine someone like Annaquilts would love to have unwanted fabric, UFOs, and sewing supplies. She'd turn them into baby quilts for the neonatal ICU she donates to.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:33 AM

A lovely lady who used to work at the local quilt shop in our area passed away, and her son had an invitational sale event to those she had known thru her work to disperse her wonderful fabrics and items. I didn't go, but I thought it was a great idea. I'm sure any leftovers were given to the local guild or other charity seamstresses at church. That's what I would want my daughter to do with any of my stuff, beyond what she and the family want. (I so despise the thought of all that stuff going to the "dump" which could happen if one doesn't stipulate ones wishes)
Old 10-04-2017, 08:47 AM

I have to say also -" Don't give up before your time!" We used to go visit my Mother in Law at the nursing home, and there was a lady there who was ALWAYS working on a quilt. Her son bought her the fabrics she asked for, and she kept "going to town" on her quilting. She made cute stuff that the staff purchased to give their families for Christmas, and made donated quilts for the volunteer firemen to raffle off. She kept busy and happy to the end. (She was a role model for me!!)
Old 10-04-2017, 08:56 AM

Years ago, I found a "quilter's will" online. I printed it out, designated an "executor" and signed it. It is in my sewing room . While not an official will, it will help my husband! Here is the link: http://www.quiltingqueenonline.com/2...-testment.html
Old 10-04-2017, 10:02 AM

Two of my 3 sisters are quilters, the 3rd makes aprons and small items. They get first crack at my stash which is large and eclectic and includes bolts of fabric. If the nieces want fabric or machines (lots of those also) they are next in line. Close quilting friends will also get a chance to "shop." If they want to take the time and sell my quilting stuff, they can do that or else donate it (preferably to Quilts From the Heart- I am Vice President)
Old 10-04-2017, 11:50 AM

Gosh I never even thought about any of this. Thanks I will start thinking which of my girls would be interested. I should ask.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:52 PM

Ive been thinning down sewing machines this year. Out the door Janome 6600, Singer LaVincadora 1927, 15 clone, have the Singer 404 in table on craigslist as we speak. Seems like there was one more.

But then Ive been working FlyLady for years, so 'stuff' doesn't mean much to me.
And I don't care what happens to my 'stuff' when I'm gone.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:14 AM

Every one of my kids have been told (several times) that they are to have 2 sales - one for just my quilting stuff, and one for everything else, with proceeds divided between my grandkids. When I retire, I plan on buying a long arm machine, so I hope to "wear it out" before I die, lol
Old 10-05-2017, 12:12 PM

I'm in the process of drafting instructions for my kids. No one else in the family quilts, so my plan is that the machines with resale value will be sold (that'd be the longarms, mostly). Everything else gets donated - I'll leave info on 2 charities I work with, and hope they can ensure good use is made of the piles of fabric. Finished quilts - I'm going to tell the kids to take whatever/how many they want. Offer to the rest of family. And then donate to the above-mentioned charities any leftovers.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:13 PM

When I redid my will last year I designated my MQG to get all my sewing/quilting supplies. My kids know. My executor knows too.

I bought my LA from a woman who was downsizing. I have bought fabric and tools from other people who were downsizing. Plus I have bought a variety of fabrics and tools from thrift shops.

My plan for next summer is to do a major sort and purge. I will be moving my LA into a different room, redoing floors, painting etc. I hope to put in new lighting and more outlets too.

I have a friend who is much older than me, she has a beautiful sewing room, but also a basement full of stuff. I was talking to her a couple years ago and she admitted she does not know what all is in the basement. She has just found many packages of batting she had forgotten about. She has 5 kids and is leaving it up to them to deal with it all.