Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where Did You Buy Your Used Sewing Machine? >

Where Did You Buy Your Used Sewing Machine?

Where Did You Buy Your Used Sewing Machine?

Old 02-02-2020, 12:00 PM

For your specific make and model I would go to a reputable dealer that carries used machine that give a good warranty. For most of my older machine I have picked them up at garage sales or estate sales. I have only bought one, a Feather Weight, online from craigslist. It is surprising how many good machines show up at garage sales.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:25 AM

I would buy from a dealer or a quilt guild member. I purchased a Janome 10000 on eBay. The seller put this heavy machine in a flimsy cardboard box, or he said UPS put it in a box with a few of the curly styrofoam pieces. the box arrived smashed and open. all of the machine feet had come out of the storage on the machine and were lost and some loose in the box. I was more concerned about the condition of the machine. UPS told me that it doesn't matter if you put fragile or this end up on boxes, there go end over end numerous times during shipping. He said the only time they pay "half way attention" is if the word GLASS is on the box. He said why is this machine insured for $ 2000? I told him he wouldn't want UPS to throw is computer around like this and that this machine and others sold new for $8000. His response, no sewing machine is worth that kind of money. I'm not fond of Craig's list either.....some machines are expensive and it could be dangerous if doing a cash purchase, plus checks and money orders cannot be trusted either. Our police department has a special place at the police station for these transactions. (Cash) This is a deterrent to the criminals. Or meet at their bank if is close to you. Ask for a receipt from a dealer that shows the last check up the machine has had. I now purchase only from a dealer or my quilt guild.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:57 PM

I purchased a mid-arm off of Craigslist from a lady who was down-sizing her home. It had hardly been used, she took my low-ball offer and threw in a bunch of books and rulers. It was an awesome deal even if I had to drive across the border to go and get it and pay tax to get it back to Canada.

I was ready to walk away if it wasn't everything I thought it was going to be, however, once I got there.

Watson
Old 02-03-2020, 03:36 PM
Power Poster

Our local sewing center ( Bernina dealer) does sell used machines. People upgrade and trade in their machines. The sewing center goes over the machine, cleaning, tuneups, what ever is needed and offers them for sale with a warranty.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

I mentioned earlier that I wouldn't buy a Bernina 770 on Ebay. The reason is the electronics. I've bought vintage Singers on Ebay with no trouble but they don't have the computers, etc.
Let us know what you decide!
Old 02-04-2020, 08:36 AM

I bought a used Phaff from a dealer and my FW, well it went on a journey. Started out at a flea market in Florida, went to a quilt guild member and I bought it from her. Both in good condition and the FW is my "go to" machine for piecing and it still travels. It goes to quilt work days wiith my guild and to retreats twice a year.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:39 AM

I bought a Pfaff performance 5.0 from a dealer, local support helps and it is a great machine.....loved the built in walking foot...
Old 02-04-2020, 04:55 PM

I bought my PQ1500s used from an individual on eBay- she put up a video showing her sewing on it. I got it for a great price and she had it well packed for shipping. It’s never given me any trouble. Great machine.

I bought my SweetSixteen used from an individual on eBay and drove three hours to pick it up. Got it for a great price, it was nearly new and she threw in lots of extras. Again, never had any problems with it.

I’ve also bought two vintage machines off eBay from individuals- machines were well packed. One had a problem so I contacted the seller about returning it. He refunded my money including shipping and told me to keep the machine.

My featherweight was in a junk shop window. It was covered in dirt and they didn’t think it worked, so were planning on turning it into a lamp.

I have no problem buying from individuals on eBay, but I stick with folks who have high ratings and I ask a lot of questions before bidding, so their answers are on eBay- that means that if the machine isn’t as described I am likely to get a refund.

You do need to be careful when buying used, especially if you can’t see and try out the machine in person, but there are some good deals out there.

Rob
Old 02-05-2020, 08:56 AM

Default used sewing machine

I bought a used embroidery machine off ebay and was extremely happy with it. I did contact the seller directly first and felt it was a good deal and it was.

I bought a very used old longarm from nolting company it was a trade in and I am extremely happy with that purchase also.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:50 AM

Default Thanks for your help!

Thanks for all of your advice on buying a used sewing machine. You have given me the confidence that there are good machines and sellers out there, but just be careful in checking everything out.

That said, I was searching for EBay for the Bernina 770qe and I searched other countries to see what the currency exchange rates would make the price. I found a brand new Bernina 770qe from England WITH the embroidery package for US $4,200 including shipping and taxes. Wow! Both Bernina UK and Bernina US said that the machines in each country are exactly the same, except for the power cord. The machine itself can accomodate either the 110 volt US power or the 220 UK power.

The big disadvantage, though, is that the warranties do not work outside the dealer's country. So, there would be no warranty without shipping it back to England. On the other hand, the $4,000 savings in price would purchase a lot of repair work, which hopefully would never be completely needed.

It's a good thing I have to save another 3 months before actually deciding where to make the purchase from!