Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where do I get labels for my quilts? >

Where do I get labels for my quilts?

Where do I get labels for my quilts?

Old 03-02-2010, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by bstanbro
I make mine on my computer and print them onto fabric sheets that run through my printer. I iron under a small edge and then use a blanket stitch to sew them to a piece of fabric that matches the quilt. Then I sew that to the quilt with a blind stitch. Works great.
This is how I do it too.

If you try to make your own fabric sheets be sure to use bubblejet so the ink will not disappear.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:26 PM

I bought June Tailor Iron-On Quilt Labels (that are printed using your ink-jet printer) from JoAnn's and it was a big mistake. First of all, they are very stiff and not at all appropriate for a quilt to be used as a blanket (maybe okay for a wall hanging). Secondly, the instructions imply they are not really washable -- what's with that? Like you wouldn't need to wash a quilt?

I followed some other links on this board and learned that you need to use some products that set the ink (from your printer) in order for it to be permanent. Do some searching if you go this route.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:04 PM

I too make my own labels with my printer. And like some of the other ladies I iron use a blanket stitch to sew them to a piece of fabric that matches the quilt. Then I sew that to the quilt with a blind stitch. If I am making a quilt for a friend or family member I scan a picture that means something to the person receiving the quilt and use that as part of the label. I made one for a cousin and as part of the label I designed was a picture of his birthday party that all of the kids in the family was in. the picture was taken 50 years ago. For my daughters quilt label I incorporated her birth certificate including her foot prints. Everyone seems to like this personal touch and it's fun for me to come up with something for each individual.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by sbeddingfield
I have 3 quilts sort of, almost finished. One is for my mom and is totally hand quilted grandmothers garden. The other 2 are rag quilts for my brother and my grandson. I want to put a label on them so years from now it will be easy to tell who made them. Where can I get some to sew on or do I just embroydery my name, I just don't know.
Thanks,
My Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0 has text on it that I use to embroider my quilt tags. It takes me awhile to get one done since I rarely make one due to being a slow hand quilter. Before I had this sewing machine, I would embroider the information somewhere on the quilt. If it was a quilt for a grandchild to use in college, I embroider the ID info right on the lower front corner for all to see and made sure it wouldn't be easy to remove if someone want to steal the quilt. My 2 kids quilts survived college just fine and hopefully the grandchildrens will as well. The first one starts in the fall.
Hugs
Patty
Old 03-02-2010, 09:57 PM

I found some at Hobby Lobby. They say handmade by ______.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:23 PM

I've made mine with a printer, with fabric pens but also found these cute paper pieced ones from Clotilde. http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?code=425290

I actually ended up designing a paper pieced one for my last quilt.

Paper Pieced Quilt Label
[ATTACH=CONFIG]27733[/ATTACH]

Label made on computer
[ATTACH=CONFIG]27734[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-27733.jpe   attachment-27734.jpe  
Old 03-02-2010, 11:32 PM

I also design mine on the computer using photos that are pertinent to the occasion and print them onto printable fabric sheets. I rinse to remove excess ink and heat set then border them and blind sew them on. Haven't had any problems yet.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-27956.jpe  
Old 03-03-2010, 11:11 AM

I GET MINE FROM KEEPSAKE QUILTING. THEY ARE PANELS OF ABOUT 1 YARD AND COME WITH MANY PER PANEL OF DIFFERENT DESIGNS.