Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where do I get labels for my quilts? >

Where do I get labels for my quilts?

Where do I get labels for my quilts?

Old 02-27-2010, 01:56 PM

I have 3 quilts sort of, almost finished. One is for my mom and is totally hand quilted grandmothers garden. The other 2 are rag quilts for my brother and my grandson. I want to put a label on them so years from now it will be easy to tell who made them. Where can I get some to sew on or do I just embroydery my name, I just don't know.
Thanks,
Old 02-27-2010, 01:59 PM
Power Poster

There are preprinted labels availabe as panels, some handwrite on a block or fabric square, others print them onto fabric or hand embroider... really the choice is up to you. :D:D:D
Old 02-27-2010, 04:30 PM

I make my own. I cut out the shape I want square, heart, etc. and write on it with a pigma pen.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:07 PM

I design mine on the computer and print them on the ink jet fabric sheets I buy at JoAnns.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:59 PM

I am not as creative as everyone else, so I have mine made by a friend that has an embroidery machine!! :D She always does such a beautiful job.
:D :D :D :D
Old 02-27-2010, 07:08 PM
Power Poster

I make my own.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:53 PM

I was taught:

Cut a sheet of freezer paper letter size. Press it onto a light solid color fabric (same size as freezer paper). Place this in your ink-jet printer. It will feed in as a regular piece of paper.

On your computer, use Word or similar, design or just type out your label (name, date, quilt name, and whatever else) and then print to the freezer paper/fabric. Make sure you print on the FABRIC side.

Peel off the freezer paper, then press the printed fabric with a hot iron. This sets the ink and you have a label.

Then sew on (in any way you desire).
Old 02-27-2010, 08:05 PM

I use to do it that way and then someone ask if I had tried washing the label and I hadn't. Sure enough the next one I did a sample and almost all of the ink rinsed out. So now I use bubble jet or the label/photo fabric. HP printer are the worst. In fact we had printed a photo on HP photo paper it got wet and it completely disappeared. It was a Photo printer too. Epson is the best according to Best Buy for they demonstrated a photo in a jar of water done by an Epson printer and it was fine.

I still don't take chances anymore on the label. I was so disappointed, I had given so many quilts with labels printed on freezer paper and muslin, but after that I rinse my labels to make sure the ink is holding.
Originally Posted by kasmitty1
I was taught:

Cut a sheet of freezer paper letter size. Press it onto a light solid color fabric (same size as freezer paper). Place this in your ink-jet printer. It will feed in as a regular piece of paper.

On your computer, use Word or similar, design or just type out your label (name, date, quilt name, and whatever else) and then print to the freezer paper/fabric. Make sure you print on the FABRIC side.

Peel off the freezer paper, then press the printed fabric with a hot iron. This sets the ink and you have a label.

Then sew on (in any way you desire).
Old 02-27-2010, 08:06 PM

That last idea with the freezer paper sounds interesting, might try that one!
Old 02-27-2010, 08:27 PM

Sorry I thought it would be with the comment about the freezer paper. There is also a small booklet that has some different quilt labels that you can make look your way. Try copying them with a light box, or you could put the transfer ink on a copy of them. There are also some fabrics that are made as quilt labels.