Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Where do you buy your material when you are making charity quilts?

I also agree that I would would not make charity quilts for that guild. How about some of the other charitable organizations that welcome you with no requirement to buy from a certain store.

I'm like most everyone else and buy my fabric where I can.

My quilt guild doesn't demand that we buy at the LQSs, but it does encourage us to shop at them when we can just for the support of the stores and because they often donate door prizes for our meetings.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...B5F8C60F07.png
    There is no snooze button on a hungry cat!

Blog Entries
    wow - what a hot subject i picked huh? i emailed someone who was sitting near me to get her take on the whole situation. i wasn't sure if i heard or took it correctly. if the guild was going to purchase fabric for the quilts i understand why we would want to use a certain vendor (because she has been EXTREMELY generous so far! I cannot say enough good things about this vendor) but my friend also took it the same way i did. so i guess i won't be making any quilts for them unless they provide the materiall (which they have in the past). Part of me wants to take a quilt top i made years ago that i haven't had the time to finish for a ufo contest they have going. i personally think the quilt top is nice - it is the first one i did- and yes everything was purchased at joann's for it.

We buy where ever we find a good price. Not all inexpensive fabric is poor quality.

There will always be fabric snobs. I make at least 20 Linus quilts a month and I will confess that most of the fabric comes from Joanns. I make sure it is 100% cotton and I like to feel anything I purchase. If it is stiff or course no matter what the price I don't buy it. I also like to use flannel on the backs of my Linus quilts as it makes it cuddley and less slippery. I am basically a handquilter but always simply machine quilt for Linus as the general public doesn't know how to care for handwork. If the child is in the hospital the quilt will go through the institution's commercial laundry at some point. The employees at our local Joanns know I am the queen of end of the bolts. Just a few weeks ago I spent $60 on clearance fabrics that will make at least twenty tops. I always use my coupons etc. Why spend $50 on one quilt when you can make 15 children happy for the same price.
    Trying to sew, quilt or read everyday.

Great idea! Offer to help quilt what they buy. We call our childrens "draggin" quilts instead of charity quilts, because we HOPE the quilts will be loved and dragged all over the place!

Our Quilts of Valor are about a $100 project, and I wouldn't think of telling anyone where they were going to spend that much on the charity. Does the LQS owner belong to your guild? It's your right to shop wherever you want.

I use up my scraps for charity quilts. Fabric is purchased from LQS.

No way would I quilt for that group. For our local Quilts for Kids group all the fabric is supplied to us via donation or from our own stash never a word said about where to buy it. I know Quilts of Valor have IMHO strict guide lines that you have to follow so I don't quilt for them, but I have sent off a few quilts to soldiers via another local group that sends care packages to troops.

Just remember you are doing this to help others and the ones that finally recieve the quilt aren't going to care where you got the fabric just that someone thought enough of them to give them a hug of warmth in their time of need.

Is it possible someone has a financial interest in the local shop???
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Blog Entries
    Nobody tells me where to shop. It is my money and I will spend it where I desire!
    Last edited by Aurora; 03-08-2012 at 04:52 AM.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

I buy whereever it is on sale and shop garage sales too.

Blog Entries
    My church group is happy to have any donations of charity quilts and pillowcase dresses. I check out sales and buy what I can afford. Donations are nonexistent, so it's all out of pocket. Can't imagine a group telling you where to buy if you are donating everything, including time.

For charity quilts, I will use what I already have in my stash or use my scraps. Even though I work, I don't make that much money, so I have to save where I can. If I want to make a charity quilt, I want it to be nice, but I can't afford to buy all the material, so I just use what I have. Scrappy quilts are also very lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by ragqueen03 View Post
    ... an organization that makes charity quilts and we were told to buy the material at either a lqs or a specific retailer....
    Is the LQS or Specific Retailer possibly involved or partners in the charity project? Maybe they ordered in a special shipment of fabric for the Guild and are participating with financial or other assistance?

CD in Oklahoma
    "I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/

If I'm going to make charity quilts, I'll decide where I get the fabric from. It won't be expensive LQS fabrics either. Probably from my stash that I started a lot of years ago when fabric was $2 a yard! Or I will find some "charity" fabrics at a thrift store or on freecycle. I don't want the quilts to look cheap either, but get real - $7 and $10 a yard doesn't make a very big quilt and it certainly isn't for giving away unless you are wealthy.
    Sharon (Gypsylady)

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    I sew for a children's hospice and we get tons of fabric donated. Same with the quilts for the YWCA, and the DHS quilts! We often send fabric to other groups we get so much. BUT this is quilt/sewing country and when grandma passes, her fabric gets donated! WE don't mind though. We even have groups that take t-shirt knits, double knits, you name it!
    When we still had a garment factory in town, double knit pants fabric and lighter weight shirt knit cut-aways were available by the pound at an amazingly cheap price. Double knit quilts and tied comforters graced many clothes lines. These things wore like IRON. I made a couple myself. The point is, these made attractive, durable and very warm coverings. I would use this for charity quilts, if still available, for the qualities of warmth and longevity and not because the fabric was inexpensive.

I shop thrifts for fabric for my own use--what's wrong with using the beautiful L.L. Bean, 100% shower curtain or the 100% cotton tablecloth for charity?

all of my charity quilts are scrappy...some of the fabric is LQS, some not...it is the only way I can do charity quilts...I would not be working with that guild, sorry.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

As President of the local guild I would be ashamed to tell people they had to shop at a certain store. Two things I ask when we do charity quilts 1.) charity doesn't mean ugly and 2.) if you can see through it, it won't last. I like to quilt for my local chapter of Quilt for Kids and alot of my fabric comes from WalMart and JoAnns because they always have a large selection of novelty fabric. That doesn't mean I don't use fabric from my LQS. I use whatever looks good together.

I am chair of out guild's charity quilt committee. We use whatever is donated to us. Some of the ladies use fabrics from their own stash and the fabric choice is up to them. I make up kits for members to take and make up from the donated fabrics. The only donated fabrics no one wants to use are the polyester double knits so I take those to the thrift store.
    Remember the quilting tradition is to "use what you have available".

If they aren't paying for the fabric, they have no right to dictate. I use whatever I have, buy at local retailers, thrift shops and have been know to use shirts bought at church sales when you can stuff a bag for $2 and the fabric is decent, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
    I would also question if the person or persons requiring that purchases be made at said LQS, is maybe a partner or silent owner of the shop.
    That thought definitely crossed my mind as well.
    Last edited by justflyingin; 03-08-2012 at 06:50 AM.

Blog Entries
    Our guild does not tell us where to buy fabric. Many rimes I get fabroc from Hancocks o they encourage us to use fanricfom the donation table which is what others dont want and what people have given us and sometimes you can get some really good stuff that you just may have to think what you would like to do with it as far as a pattern.

When times as tough, we need to make choices that are right to us. You make your own judgement, however, guilds should not be tellling people where to shop! If you are uncomfortable with this guild perhaps you could find another or you and some friends could get together and sew quilts for charity - they will be so welcome!
    Love 4 stchen

I wouldn't make quilts for that quild for charity. I buy my fabrics for charity quilts where I get the best deal. I can't afford to do anything different.

Blog Entries
    Is it possible that at the LQS if you say you belong to "such and such guild" they give you a discount for the fabrics for the charity quilt? Or they have kits made up for a certain pattern for the guild to use as a charity quilt? Or have scraps bagged up for you to use? This would be the only reason for going to a specific place.
    My guild has a LQS owner in it, and she has had offerings to the guild at times.
    Otherwise, I'm like the others. I don't like being told how much to spend to give to charity.
    To make lots of quilts, is to have lots of scraps, and I do, and I do.
    BarbaraSue

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast