Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where do you buy your thread for long arm machines? >

Where do you buy your thread for long arm machines?

Where do you buy your thread for long arm machines?

Old 08-08-2014, 12:36 PM
Power Poster

I purchase most of my quilting threads from connecting threads- free shipping @ $50 so I can buy more - I hate it when shipping is as much as 1 or 2 cones/spools of thread. I do on occasion purchase from Superior Threads too, they carry a wide variety
Old 08-08-2014, 01:42 PM

Congratulations on your new machine! That is so great-- someday I'm going to graduate from my mid arm to a long arm! Someday.

Question to add to the discussion-- when you're ordering thread online, how do you judge the colors? I wish there was a set of samples that could be purchased. I've been using Aurifil but it does break frequently and I'm worried about how well it will hold up over the long haul, so I'm going to try Glide next.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:31 PM

A lot of places do have thread color charts you can by, I can't remember the sights, but I think Superior threads does. Check at each site and see if they have them. Have fun with your machine.

Originally Posted by AllyStitches View Post
Congratulations on your new machine! That is so great-- someday I'm going to graduate from my mid arm to a long arm! Someday.

Question to add to the discussion-- when you're ordering thread online, how do you judge the colors? I wish there was a set of samples that could be purchased. I've been using Aurifil but it does break frequently and I'm worried about how well it will hold up over the long haul, so I'm going to try Glide next.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:08 PM

AllyStitches, I think what I am getting may be considered a mid arm… not sure. It's 18 inches x 8 inches…. I should be able to do any size quilt I'd ever want to do with it I did see some thread color sample/charts for sale when I was looking for thread to buy. They weren't cheap though.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:56 PM

i must agree that bobbin central is the place to go. i don't have a LA yet, going to start with a Juki 2010Q for now and adapt and go from there as monies allow. however, i do quilt with my janome which is just a home machine no biggie no whistles and bells and only a 5" throat space. i have used so fine, aurfil, connecting threads lines, and sulky. glide is hands down my favorite. it is virtually painless to use since i am "handicapped" to begin with with bulky gloves and a small work area, i have found it to be the best. bobbin central is dirt cheap ~ you must place a $35 order to order from them, but the 5k spools average 7 and i have seen them for 6 for black or white. have fun shopping! glide is smooth, slightly silky textured, and doesn't leave lint!
Old 08-09-2014, 12:43 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AllyStitches View Post
Glide does have sample cards on their website. I believe they usually require a minimum order of $35 but, as someone who has not used the thread before, you can call or email them and they will let you buy a single spool to try out. I think it is worth it to also purchase their color card at that point (uses real thread), as I don't know anyone who doesn't like Glide once they try it. The shine of the thread is not suitable for every single quilt, but I personally like it for my quilts as it adds just a hint of sparkle -- and my quilts can use all the sparkle they can acquire.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:07 PM

Is that on the bobbincentral website? I will call them. I'd like to have a sample card.

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Glide does have sample cards on their website. I believe they usually require a minimum order of $35 but, as someone who has not used the thread before, you can call or email them and they will let you buy a single spool to try out. I think it is worth it to also purchase their color card at that point (uses real thread), as I don't know anyone who doesn't like Glide once they try it. The shine of the thread is not suitable for every single quilt, but I personally like it for my quilts as it adds just a hint of sparkle -- and my quilts can use all the sparkle they can acquire.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:23 PM
Power Poster

If you go to the bobbincentral website, click on "Quilting" in the upper bar and the drop down list will have "color card" at the bottom of the top thread and bobbin thread lists.

Maybe this direct link will work:
http://www.bobbincentral.com/quiltin...lor-cards.html

Edit: It is also well worth checking out the accessories on the website. They have lots of items such as tweezers, bobbin cases, etc. at very low prices compared to others. Makes having extras on hand very affordable.

Last edited by Prism99; 08-09-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:15 PM

When you get your Avante, you'll most likely get a nice package of threads to try from Superior. I recently got a Sweet 16 and it came with about five different threads to try. All of them quilted beautifully with minor tension adjustments. I did try some Glide and liked that as well.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:14 PM

I have a mid-arm Bernina that chooses only to run with Superior's King Tut on top and Bottom Line in the bobbin. I have a drawer full of glide it refuses to run on.