Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where do you donate? >

Where do you donate?

Where do you donate?

Old 12-31-2010, 12:18 PM

Weighted blankets are simple to make. You can go to projectlinus.org, click 'patterns', scroll down to a pattern called 'lili's hugs'. Everyone has their own way of making the blankets. I take 2-1 yard pieces of fabrics, sew them on the short sides, making a tube. Take velcro and stitch on each side of the tube. Allow a total of 2.5 yards for velcro. Fold in half lengthwise and press, then stitch across from side to side. Fold in half width size and press. Make 2 tube markings on each side of line, makes a total of 6 tubes. Stitch the tubes. You have a total of 12, 6 on each side of the blanket. Take old sheets, towels, bath blankets, roll them and then stuff them into the tubes. The velcro will seal them in. I can email you a copy of directions if you want to pm me. I have made over 400 the past 3 years.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by jdiane318
Weighted blankets are simple to make. You can go to projectlinus.org, click 'patterns', scroll down to a pattern called 'lili's hugs'. Everyone has their own way of making the blankets. I take 2-1 yard pieces of fabrics, sew them on the short sides, making a tube. Take velcro and stitch on each side of the tube. Allow a total of 2.5 yards for velcro. Fold in half lengthwise and press, then stitch across from side to side. Fold in half width size and press. Make 2 tube markings on each side of line, makes a total of 6 tubes. Stitch the tubes. You have a total of 12, 6 on each side of the blanket. Take old sheets, towels, bath blankets, roll them and then stuff them into the tubes. The velcro will seal them in. I can email you a copy of directions if you want to pm me. I have made over 400 the past 3 years.
I have the concept of making them now, but could you please explain what benefits these provide. I know it sounds like a stupid question but I am not catching on.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:31 PM

Children who are autistic can't stand to be held. The weight of the blanket makes them feel swaddled and secure. Most of these children cannot get a full night's sleep which in turn means their parents or caregivers cannot get a full night's sleep. The weight of the blanket gives them the comfort of being held and many times this helps the child get a good night's rest which means that everyone gets a good night's rest. In turn, the child is rested and can be more receptive to learning and retaining what is taught.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:44 PM

I donate to local convalescent facilities and to our church, the Vietnam Veterans chapter and motorcycle groups to raise funds for local programs.